09-18-2017 07:53 PM
29 12
tools
    I noticed that instead of keeping the pixels that are supposed to render black turned off my phone lights them up and in low light conditions the phone obviously gives out a faint glow. What makes it even weirder is that when I swipe the edge to view my notifications the screen behaves properly, turning itself off except for the edge.
    07-04-2016 04:46 PM
    I'm having the exact same problem! It seemed to have come out of no where as well. I could easily not turn on the night display or always on display, but i use them all the time. I hope someone has the answers!
    07-13-2016 09:49 PM
    Moving to the S7 Edge area.
    07-13-2016 10:04 PM
    Hope someone knows how to fix this!
    07-21-2016 08:00 PM
    I'm having the exact same problem! It seemed to have come out of no where as well. I could easily not turn on the night display or always on display, but i use them all the time. I hope someone has the answers!
    Hi, did you fix the problem? Im hv the dame issue... tks
    09-16-2016 04:33 AM
    I have tried clearing my cache but that doesn't work as well, it's a bug, i hope they roll out an update soon since this quite annoying !!!
    09-17-2016 02:05 PM
    Yea.. I hv done everything here and keep the same. Anyway to send this to samsung so they can know the problem?
    09-17-2016 02:10 PM
    I noticed that instead of keeping the pixels that are supposed to render black turned off my phone lights them up and in low light conditions the phone obviously gives out a faint glow. What makes it even weirder is that when I swipe the edge to view my notifications the screen behaves properly, turning itself off except for the edge.
    Yes!! I'm having the same issue. I factory reset my phone, twice! No luck
    09-26-2016 03:59 PM
    Did any of you ever solve this issue? My S7 Edge has it too. Tried everything I can think of apart from a full reset.
    10-17-2016 03:14 AM
    I have sent to repair today...
    psychomania666 likes this.
    10-17-2016 03:23 AM
    my screen is not going pure dark on always on display... preview of always on screen theme is good and the backuground is pure dark, but when i lock the screen, it looks little bit grey colored background.
    how can i fix it? i'm on new firmware (1.4.02)
    10-17-2016 03:50 AM
    I have sent to repair today...
    I hope they manage to fix it, please let us know if it is ok when it returns. I've been unable to find a solution elsewhere, seems the S6 Edge had this issue too with its night clock.
    hmbarbosa1 likes this.
    10-17-2016 06:40 AM
    Same problem, in fact created another thread about it because I didn't see this one. I contacted my wireless provider and they have sent me a replacement (arriving today).
    10-17-2016 07:27 AM
    Is anyone not having this problem? Sounds to me like a software issue.
    Does the screen go totally dark when not using AOD?
    10-17-2016 09:38 AM
    Is anyone not having this problem? Sounds to me like a software issue.
    Does the screen go totally dark when not using AOD?
    Screen goes totally dark in other places and when using a third party AOD app. Only seems to affect built in AOD and Night clock modes.

Uninstalling the AOD updates does not fix it.
    Clearing the AOD apps data does not fix it.
    Clearing the devices cache does not fix it.
    A full wipe reset does not fix it.

I would say that somehow software has corrupted part of the display hardware but only the part that controls AOD. Only solution I've found here and on other sites is exchanging the device for a replacement. I don't trust the UK repair centre not to screw it up so I'll probably just stick with the device and not use AOD.
    10-17-2016 09:44 AM
    I have heard that there are a couple of issues with the AOD update.
    Samsung brings exclusive Galaxy Note7 feats to the Galaxy S7, S7 Edge | AndroidGuys
    10-17-2016 12:58 PM
    Did anyone else who notice this issue also experience a significant decline in SOT?
    10-17-2016 02:25 PM
    Did anyone else who notice this issue also experience a significant decline in SOT?
    With AOD (and night clock) disabled my SOT is as good as it normally is. Not seeing any other issues at all.

I tried a complete wipe and firmware reload using ODIN and that did not fix it so really does look like a hardware issue.
    10-19-2016 07:28 AM
    Anyone get their S7 back repaired. I sent my S7 edge direct to Samsung UK and despite telling them the very specific problem with the AOD and night clock they returned it to me saying there is no problem with it. I couldn't even speak to an engineer about it to explain the grey screen and battery drain etc because Samsung dont allow direct contact between the end user and tech engineers...lol
    11-01-2016 08:33 AM
    allygash, after reading your post I am really starting to regret sending my S7 Edge to Samsung UK yesterday for this issue. I did print out a sheet showing my phone screen compared to my wife's, I hope they view (and understand) it!
    11-01-2016 08:42 AM
    I spent along time to speaking to a number of what I can only describe as idiots, i even offered to show them a video of the problem... "oh sorry cant do that sir.". I went to a samsung official service centre first to show them 'live' the problem, they said yep screen needs replacing. Problem is the service centre has a lead time of 4-6 weeks for a new replacement screen. So they suggested send direct to Samsung..... problem is you cant speak to the engineers to tell them the specific issue. The customer disservice and tech nosupport people take copious notes on the problems but fail it appears to communicate it to the out sourced engineers in Norwich. I'll just keep sending it back by courier at their expense until they actually acknowledge the issue. If anyone gets theirs back successfully repaired please let me know so we can refer to it when talking to the 'wall' that is Samsung UK.
    psychomania666 likes this.
    11-01-2016 08:54 AM
    My AOD is perfectly black other than the clock and I have not noticed any battery issues while using it. It's obviously an isolated issue. I assume everyone is running the latest version.
    11-01-2016 08:55 AM
    My AOD is perfectly black other than the clock and I have not noticed any battery issues while using it. It's obviously an isolated issue. I assume everyone is running the latest version.
    It's a hardware issue not a software issue, the software version of the phone or the AOD app has no effect on the problem. It's good that you don't have the issue, that being the case this thread is not relevant to you.
    11-01-2016 08:59 AM
    I spent along time to speaking to a number of what I can only describe as idiots, i even offered to show them a video of the problem... "oh sorry cant do that sir.". I went to a samsung official service centre first to show them 'live' the problem, they said yep screen needs replacing. Problem is the service centre has a lead time of 4-6 weeks for a new replacement screen. So they suggested send direct to Samsung..... problem is you cant speak to the engineers to tell them the specific issue. The customer disservice and tech nosupport people take copious notes on the problems but fail it appears to communicate it to the out sourced engineers in Norwich. I'll just keep sending it back by courier at their expense until they actually acknowledge the issue. If anyone gets theirs back successfully repaired please let me know so we can refer to it when talking to the 'wall' that is Samsung UK.
    This is exactly the scenario I was worried about. I originally was told to visit a service centre so I did on Saturday and found it to be a waste of time. I went to the one in Bradford and the guy was rude and dismissive. He wouldn't even put my phone under the desk to see the issue in action. He told me I could leave it but due to part shortages it would be away at least 28 days. Had a rant at Samsung on twitter and they arranged the courier for Monday. I really do hope an engineer with half a brain looks at the info I included with the phone.
    11-01-2016 09:24 AM
    Anybody got their S7's back fixed or replaced by Samsung yet?
    11-27-2016 09:33 AM
29 12