"Unfortunately, Calendar Storage has stopped" on mine too

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Well that's the message I'm getting - I've been querying the internet all day, have tried all the suggested 'fixes' that seem to apply to my phone running Android 6.0.1 and still I get the message "Unfortunately, calendar storage has stopped" several times a day and particularly when I access a calendar, or something that refers to one but it doesn't seem to matter which one. I've even found my way to security and permissions and given permission to everything that looked relevant inc. the 'more' 'system apps'.

I'm baffled and I've no idea which calendar it is referring to. Any suggestions welcomed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell us what you've tried already? The first things I'd try would be to clear the app's cache and data (as long as your calendars are synced with the cloud somewhere, and not saved exclusively on the phone in the Phone account).

Do you only have calendars in your Google account, or are there other calendars (like from an Exchange account)?

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Clearing the Apps cache is something I've read in many places - the thing is on my version of android I cannot find anywhere that refers to clearing the cache. I can go to application manager and find things like Calendar storage, but the only options offered seem to be Force stop and Disable, I have no app. listed that calls itself 'calendar', google calendar synch just gives, Force stop and disable, ditto for something that calls itself S Planner, I can't see anything else that appears to be a calendar and no-where in the app settings is a 'clear cache' option - its discussed variously on-line, but I'm hanged if I can find the options to do so on my phone. I also can't see anything similar in the settings when I open the various applications. As I noted everything has full permissions - I've given permission to anything that looks remotely calendar related, and I can't think of anything else to try. Does that help?

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
There is a google gmail account, I guess the Samsung account could be linked to a calendar, somewhere there could be an outlook account, but as you may have read elsewhere I'm struggling with getting that running through the outlook app. thought it is running through a generic email app. instead. I also have a Hotmail account that is def. running through the outlook app. There are also a couple of other mail boxes that are also received through the generic email app. So yes, I guess a certain of confusion is pausible. TBH - I'd be more than happy to have everything synch to my problematic business email outlook account.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There is a google gmail account, I guess the Samsung account could be linked to a calendar, somewhere there could be an outlook account, but as you may have read elsewhere I'm struggling with getting that running through the outlook app. thought it is running through a generic email app. instead. I also have a Hotmail account that is def. running through the outlook app. There are also a couple of other mail boxes that are also received through the generic email app. So yes, I guess a certain of confusion is pausible. TBH - I'd be more than happy to have everything synch to my problematic business email outlook account.

I really don't know for sure, but I just wonder if part of the problem with the Calendar Storage is that it's syncing some bad data with a non-Google calendar account. Would you be able to consolidate everything in a Google Calendar account?

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
B. Diddy, Well at least you have found the cache button for me - the last place I expected to find it was under 'storage', but as you have told me its there in 6.0.1 too - I'm clearing the cache of everything that seems related and will report back. Thanks for that pointer.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
OK, I've cleared every cache of every application that I can even remotely think is connected to a calendar - it still hasn't stopped the message - part of the problem is that I don't know which calendar is causing the problem. I wish I could stop the message somehow.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
OK, it keeps referring to Calendar Storage - Calendar storage seems to be part of an Android system app. If I try something like 'clear data' (clear cache doesn't help), what is it likely to do to the system - the calendar entries I can lose without any bother as I can refresh those. Will 'clear data' in calendar storage clear anything else that is critical? It's worth a try if it won't kill the system.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If all of your calendar events are from your Google account, and no important events are saved to the local Phone account, then you can Clear Data from Calendar Storage. When you open the Calendar app again, the events from your Google Calendar should resync.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi B Diddy, well on the basis of that advice I deleted all the entries - it didn't help and I still got the message, I rebooted, still got the message, reset all applications to their default behaviour (found something in android that said it would do this), that didn't help either and I am still getting the message. I'm sort of running out of things to try. Any more suggestions would be great. Many thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you say that you deleted all the entries, do you mean that you tapped Clear Data in the App Manager?

Go to Settings>Accounts, and look through all of the accounts on your phone. Is your Google account the only one that syncs the Calendar? Try removing your Google account, then adding it back.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Nope, that didn't work either :-( - I wiped every account off of the system and force stopped and data and cached deleted every single account and calendar possible on the system and still I get the error.

What would a reset do to the system? Would I lose the latest android update that finally got my 2 sims working properly? How about backed up data if I restored it to a reset system would it just download again whatever caused the problem in the first place?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A factory reset will not revert the phone back to the previous OS version. Data backup is trickier, though--data from your Google apps (like Drive, Keep, Calendar, etc.) will sync automatically to the cloud and restore automatically when you log back in, but non-Google app data might or might not be backed up to your Google account. To be safe, you could use Helium to backup all of your app data.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Well a factory reset seemed the only option. However, it's damn near given me heart failure especially when it all started up in Chinese or some similar script. Thanks be to the internet for showing me where I needed to click to get English back up and running. It's still no-where right though, I just hope one or more of these back-up routines will put things right - I have tried Helium, but I don't know if it worked. It says that the Edge screen is on, but I seem to have lost the little widget which opened things in it - I used to roll over it and it opened the edge screens. Also all the icons seem bigger and further apart so I've lost something there (Edit - edge screen and edge icon placement were both solved in settings - easy mode - switching it off!), I also can't find the icon to open the Google Play store (edit - have just spotted it) - all ideas as to where all these things are hiding would be welcome folks. At the moment some sort of restore of data appears to be occurring from somewhere - heaven knows what's kicked in, but I'm doing some sort of cross everything routine at the moment that something good is happening.

The big warning here folks, is although it might solve my calendar issue, you click the big factory reset button at your peril folks. It nearly had me in tears at one point.

Edit - restored a load of apps from Google account, have restored wallpaper - it looks like mine again LOL - nearly back to normal after 2 hours of worry - just got to set up things like email accounts again, but these are all replicated elsewhere so I'm not losing data - the phone is just email on the go. So the upshot is that it looks like you can revive from a factory re-set, but you need to have the courage of your convictions and if you have a grey import find out how to change from Chinese (or similar) language before you press the magic button, as when it boots and does the initial set-up stuff, its all in Chinese and you are left guessing. Link here for a You Tube video of what to press - stop it when you need to and look at your screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfLQ7FyeBjA

NB. On the plus side the wretched Calendar stopped message looks like it has finally gone away. :)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry you had to go through all of that! Glad it's working now.

Where did you get your phone? Whenever a phone boots into Chinese, that always raises a red flag to me that the phone could potentially be a knockoff or clone. Of course, it could just be a genuine phone that was intended for the Chinese market, but these usually don't come with Google Play Store installed (because they're not certified for Google Play, since I think the Chinese government blocks access to Google in general). What's the exact model number that's shown in Settings>About Phone? Also, run an app like CPU-Z, and tell us what kind of processor it has. If it's not a Qualcomm Snapdragon or Samsung Exynos chip, then it's a knockoff.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I understood that it was a genuine phone, previously intended for the Chinese market that had been set up for the UK market prior to shipping. Settings show Model number SM-G935FD - I ran that CPU-Z app and it says Samsung Exynos processor - Samsung Exynos Octa 8890 2.6 GHz in the title and under architecture it lists a 4 x Samsung Exynos M1 @ 2.6 GHz w X ARM Cortex-A53 @ 1.59 GHz

Have I been done? From what you write above, it sounds like it might be OK, yes?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds legit. But it probably explains why you had all of that hassle after the factory reset and why you couldn't initially find the Play Store.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
B.Diddy, many thanks. I sort of wondered a bit had I been done - after all there is so much posted about counterfeit things - a lot of which I've read. However, everything else about it had seemed OK and I did order from a 'commercial' online website rather than a private buyer. The box and contents all seemed legit and all the things that the counterfeits are described as having weren't present on my phone, but I didn't know how to check the chip - it hadn't occurred to me to ask either so I was pleased when you pointed me at the CPU checker. In addition it just generally felt right (bar the language issues). Somehow I think you can tell when you have hold of quality, rather than a quality copy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress