Why I returned my V20 for an S7e

alexeisch

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Well kids….I did it. I jumped ship from the V20 and went into the S7 Edge (proud former N7 owner). I had two days left to return it under ‘buyers remorse’ and decided to do so….there were a few reasons why and I thought I would share them:

First and foremost for me was the camera. I hate to say this but the S7e’s camera is just FAR superior in low light. I actually really liked the quality of the camera on the V20 and the wide angle lens is REALLY a great feature, but in low light situations there is no comparison.

The display was another large factor for me. My best friend went into an S7e from her N7 and I remember that a few days ago I was looking at the display or hers next to my V20 and it was just no comparison. I don’t know what it is about Samsung’s displays but they always seem to be so much more brilliant and bright than any other phone. They are crisp and sharp and nothing just seems to compare…..

The battery in the V20 just wasn’t enough for me. I really really like that LG made it removable but that just wasn’t enough for me. I mean, I feel I had already overpaid for the V20 and then I would have to shell out another $50-70 for an OEM battery??? I have always gotten good batter life out of my Samsung’s and the S7e just seems to have more lasting power.

Now, the one place that I felt the LG blew away they S7e is with regard to the always on display. The V20 display is amazing and I LOVED how customizable it was. I loved being able to see notifications scroll across that screen and while I wasn’t totally crazy about the location of it (that being across the top of the phone) I thought it was FAR superior to the S7e’s limited always on display.

As far as build I feel that the S7e blows the V20 away. I got the silver version and I just love how it looks and how it feels in the hand. I just think it really looks like an $800 phone and while the LG is lovely (I loved having the button on the back of the phone VS the front as it made for a much more ‘slick’ looking device) I just didn’t feel like it was worth what I paid.

Lastly, I have to say that another HUGE factor for me was the fact that supposedly when the N8 comes out, there will be some sort of discount for those that went into an S7 or S7e. I can guarantee you that I will be3 jumping into an N8 as soon as I possibly can and that discount will be really nice (should they actually go through with it).

So there you go…..I have now officially had my hands on 6 phones in the last two month, N7, S7e (temp replacement), N7, On5 (temp phone), V20, S7e. I have to say that NONE even came close to comparing to the N7 and I REALLY am hoping that Samsung comes back strong with the N8 next year. I will be in line to get one!

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Well kids….I did it. I jumped ship from the V20 and went into the S7 Edge (proud former N7 owner). I had two days left to return it under ‘buyers remorse’ and decided to do so….there were a few reasons why and I thought I would share them:

First and foremost for me was the camera. I hate to say this but the S7e’s camera is just FAR superior in low light. I actually really liked the quality of the camera on the V20 and the wide angle lens is REALLY a great feature, but in low light situations there is no comparison.

The display was another large factor for me. My best friend went into an S7e from her N7 and I remember that a few days ago I was looking at the display or hers next to my V20 and it was just no comparison. I don’t know what it is about Samsung’s displays but they always seem to be so much more brilliant and bright than any other phone. They are crisp and sharp and nothing just seems to compare…..

The battery in the V20 just wasn’t enough for me. I really really like that LG made it removable but that just wasn’t enough for me. I mean, I feel I had already overpaid for the V20 and then I would have to shell out another $50-70 for an OEM battery??? I have always gotten good batter life out of my Samsung’s and the S7e just seems to have more lasting power.

Now, the one place that I felt the LG blew away they S7e is with regard to the always on display. The V20 display is amazing and I LOVED how customizable it was. I loved being able to see notifications scroll across that screen and while I wasn’t totally crazy about the location of it (that being across the top of the phone) I thought it was FAR superior to the S7e’s limited always on display.

As far as build I feel that the S7e blows the V20 away. I got the silver version and I just love how it looks and how it feels in the hand. I just think it really looks like an $800 phone and while the LG is lovely (I loved having the button on the back of the phone VS the front as it made for a much more ‘slick’ looking device) I just didn’t feel like it was worth what I paid.

Lastly, I have to say that another HUGE factor for me was the fact that supposedly when the N8 comes out, there will be some sort of discount for those that went into an S7 or S7e. I can guarantee you that I will be3 jumping into an N8 as soon as I possibly can and that discount will be really nice (should they actually go through with it).

So there you go…..I have now officially had my hands on 6 phones in the last two month, N7, S7e (temp replacement), N7, On5 (temp phone), V20, S7e. I have to say that NONE even came close to comparing to the N7 and I REALLY am hoping that Samsung comes back strong with the N8 next year. I will be in line to get one!

That's about right. Plus, with the S7 Edge, you get water resistance, wireless charging, and a great VR experience.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Different strokes. I'm glad I have both. The S7e does have a lot going for it and it does feel nice in the hand. While the edge screen bothers some it does not get in my way.

What kind of screen protector did you decide on?

rexbitz

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Hands down I think s7 edge is going to hold its own for a while. It'll be superior to other brands even next year excluding what Samsung puts out. I use a tech21 case with a flap since I cannot find a good screen protector.

alexeisch

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
No screen protector for me. I had one on my N7 and it kept lifting at the edges. If I know I am going to be throwing it in my purse I put it in a wallet style cover so as to protect the screen. :) Other than that I like to let it shine :)

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Welcome back @alexeisch

I was close to getting a V20 last Monday but after reading and watching many reviews I was put off particularly by the V20's Battery Life, and decided to go with S7 Edge, and I couldn't be happier :D

Samsung make the overall better package :)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Welcome back @alexeisch

I was close to getting a V20 last Monday but after reading and watching many reviews I was put off particularly by the V20's Battery Life, and decided to go with S7 Edge, and I couldn't be happier :D

Samsung make the overall better package :)
The V20 has excellent battery in my experience. My S7e does well too. My V20s and S7e both do better than my V10 but I do have an extra battery for it.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Wasn't the discount towards the N8 only mentioned for Korea? Either way I'll be getting the first "8" that comes out be it the S8 or Note8 (I'd be surprised if they keep the Note name though), when the Note variant gets released I'll upgrade to that. The S7 Edge is ok and gets me by but it was kind of a bummer to go from the new features of the Note 7 back to a 6 month old phone.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
When I was considering options to replace my Note7, I was pretty high on the V20 after reading about it, but after my first hands on experience in a phone store comparing screen and pix side by side, I ruled it out immediately. Screen wasn't even close for color and sharpness and the camera wasn't close in so so lighting (even kept taking blurry pix vs the Note 7 for the same shot many times).

Went right back to Samsung with my S7E with the same color as my N7 (titanium silver), got the same case and it's a great substitute till the next Note comes out

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
When I was considering options to replace my Note7, I was pretty high on the V20 after reading about it, but after my first hands on experience in a phone store comparing screen and pix side by side, I ruled it out immediately. Screen wasn't even close for color and sharpness and the camera wasn't close in so so lighting (even kept taking blurry pix vs the Note 7 for the same shot many times).

Went right back to Samsung with my S7E with the same color as my N7 (titanium silver), got the same case and it's a great substitute till the next Note comes out
I have both the 7e and V20 and I'm on the 7e now. I cannot honestly say this screen is any better than my V20s. Not even more saturated. Both screens look good to me but tomorrow I'll look at them next to each other just for the heck of it. I think this Otterbox Alpha Glass may take away from the quality of the 7e's display. I know it impacts touch sensitivity. When I get bored I'll take pictures with both. Everyone says the 7e is the better camera. I'll have to see if there's really that big of a difference in my useage. I didn't get them to compare back and forth and that's why I haven't done a side-by-side yet.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
OP, I think you made the right choice, and I certainly understand your reasoning behind making that choice. So glad you like your Edge!

I think my next device will be a Samsung S series phone or an Edge phone. I agree with you: there's just something about those displays... My mom's phone next to mine makes me think that, too.

jn3wman

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I have both the 7e and V20 and I'm on the 7e now. I cannot honestly say this screen is any better than my V20s. Not even more saturated. Both screens look good to me but tomorrow I'll look at them next to each other just for the heck of it. I think this Otterbox Alpha Glass may take away from the quality of the 7e's display. I know it impacts touch sensitivity. When I get bored I'll take pictures with both. Everyone says the 7e is the better camera. I'll have to see if there's really that big of a difference in my useage. I didn't get them to compare back and forth and that's why I haven't done a side-by-side yet.
The V20 display is LCD. That fact, in itself, is why the edge display is better. The colors are not always accurately reproduced. For now at least, the Amoled displays are far superior.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Wasn't the discount towards the N8 only mentioned for Korea? Either way I'll be getting the first "8" that comes out be it the S8 or Note8 (I'd be surprised if they keep the Note name though), when the Note variant gets released I'll upgrade to that. The S7 Edge is ok and gets me by but it was kind of a bummer to go from the new features of the Note 7 back to a 6 month old phone.

You haven't learned anything about 'first adopting' from the N7 fiasco? 😆

alexeisch

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

Agreed, the N7 was so superior in so many ways.....the S7e is a good replacement but I cannot wait until the new 8's come out. I really hope Uncle Sammy give some sort of deal here in the states.....

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeh turned in my N7 for a S7 Edge since the V20 wasn't in stock at Best Buy and still isn't. Its grown on me. I do miss my N7 but with the V20 I would miss the wireless charging and water resistance too much plus the amoled display is just better than any other phone out minus the N7 it was brighter. With the S8 right around the corner This will get me by until then.

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I traded in a device for the LG V20 and took advantage of the $200 trade in credit At&t is offering. After 4 days with the V20 I am in the process of return it. The main reasons are battery life, lag and at times an unresponsive screen particularly when the phone is laying on a flat surface such as a table. I'll be trying out the iPhone 7 Plus, I am not particular when it comes to today's device software.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I never saw water resistance as a major feature, but with the heavy rains here in Johannesburg, and even floods in some parts, my S7E is great as I can happily use it in the rain on the way to my car, or when hailing an Uber or if I have a flat tyre and its raining.

I have also become far more relaxed in using my phone in pubs and clubs (saw many times where people dropped their phone in an ice bucket where the ice is almost all melted)

In actual fact, I've been tempted to dunk and clean my S7E in warm water every now and then, keep it clean.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87