"Location found" notification not going away.

davenuss

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I've noticed over the past week or so that I am getting a frequent "location found" notification, and when I swipe to remove it it reappears. I haven't d/l'd any new location specific app's of late, but I'm wondering if an update is the culprit. But which one? Or is this a Marshmallow or carrier issue?

I have an S7 Edge on Verizon Wireless. Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have access to your Google account? That notification usually appears when the device has been located remotely, either from Samsung's FindMyPhone or Google's Device Manager.

If you long press the notification, does it say where it comes from?

Hey I Tried

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
ff0b1b6fea4106f3ff87cc592d06fd39.jpg

If Device Manager was locating the phone, and additional notification would appear.

Do you have any weather apps running? Accuweather has an option where it will update weather on wakeup.

Google Location services (maps and such) may be locating it as well.

Look at your location settings in the menu, and remove location access from everything.

If it needs your location, it will have to prompt you first.

davenuss

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. To answer:
-No, no one else has access to my Google account.
-When I long press the notification, it does not tell me which app. Which is why I think it's a Google service. But it's admittedly a SWAG.
-The notification I'm actually getting is the "Location Found" one, which is the top one in the grab above.
-Good idea re: checking which apps might be using location and deactivating. I'm thinking it might be a Google Location Services issue, so I did remove location access from the Google App and a few other non-Google app's that had location enabled to see if that does the trick. But I kept it on for Google Maps and Gas Buddy, which i use somewhat regularly. I'll let you know what happens here.

Thanks again, guys.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, not that it helps, but this seems to be a persistent Verizon bug. There are also reports on the V10, G4, and V20 forums. What might help is that some say it has to do with the Google app. You can try revoking the Location permission for it and see if that does it.

Also try to disable Wi-Fi Scanning in your Location settings.

grizzwaldt

Apr 15, 2018
Visit site
Both my wife and I have HTC10 phones on Verizon that just recently updated to Android 8 (Oreo). After the update, but wife's phone kept showing the "Location found" notification and playing the default notification sound. It was incredibly annoying because it did this every few minutes or less. Well I performed several different Google searches to find an answer and all of the posts that I found never actually provided a solid answer on how to fix the problem. Well, I'm creating this post to help others because I finally solved the problem!

On my HTC10, this is what I did to fix the problem: Go to Settings -> Sound & notification -> Advanced -> Notifications (at the very bottom).

Then click on the three dots at the top right of your screen to the right of the search icon. Choose "Show system".

Scroll down the list and find "System UI" and select it.

Choose "VZW" in the list and once you get into the VZW notification category for System UI, click on "Importance" and change it to "Medium: No sound". This will turn off the notification sound that plays when your phone is finding location.

You can also turn off the notification icon that shows up at the top of your screen by turning off the "Allow icon badge". I actually just left this turned on and now when an app requests a location update, I see the icon pop up at the top of my screen, but I don't hear that annoying sound.

I hope this helps all of the other people on the numerous other posts I found about this topic that never received a solid answer on how to solve the problem.