Want the S8 but want to keep your cash?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had my galaxy s7 edge since launch, and I've got to say it's as snappy as the day I received it. I recently compared it to the new S8. While the new phone is certainly a beauty, I saw no reason to upgrade from the S 7 edge. Yes, it's a bit faster, has the bigger screen, and if you really have an older device, you should consider it. But I'm perfectly happy with my S7 edge. Everything works as it should with zero issues. And I get more than a day out of the battery. So, there you have my opinion. I'm certainly no knocking the new S8 beauty in any way. It's gorgeous. But not worth the upgrade for me at this time.
. . I did try out a zte axon 7 on a different line and have to admit, that device is awesome too. Well worth the consideration if you want high end specs. And if you're an audiophile, there's no better option. You'll save big too. I keep it for all my media watching and listening.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
+1.

Your opinion seems to be shared by many of those who are not phone aficionados. The upgrade seems to be a must if you're using something several years old or otherwise needs replacement, but last year's phones, especially last year's top-of-the-line devices, remain more than capable for most.

My S7E and even my Note 5 are still going strong and are plenty fast. Is the S8 faster? Sure, by degrees. Does it matter for me? No. These both got new life with Nougat, almost like these devices were made to run it. My battery life is great too. My year old S7E will still run well into a second day. My almost two year old Note 5 gets me through the day with ~20% remaining. Can't complain about that. One of the things that I really like about the Note is that it has a flat display too.

Have we reached the stage where phones are really more tools or commodities? The new phones will be faster on paper and flashier, and often have one or two cool new features to show off what Samsung or Apple can do. But it seems that phones are, for the most part, turning into the new PC. Desktop and laptop PC technology has pretty much stagnated, with mostly incremental changes now at best.

We see so many more phones that are designed for the "mid-range" market. Plenty capable and priced to sell, these devices are fast enough and have enough features for a whole lot of people. Your Axon, for example, or a lot of the Moto devices. Or even last year's flagship phones. It's easier now than ever to have a powerful device in your hand and not break the bank.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Plus one for the flat screen. While i like my S7 Edge i still prefer the feel of my Note 4 and my other non curve display phones.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Plus one for the flat screen. While i like my S7 Edge i still prefer the feel of my Note 4 and my other non curve display phones.

Just the opposite for me. Gave my old Note 4 to my wife to use as a media device and when I pick it up it feels oversized and clunky to me. And she doesn't care for my S7E's curved screen ...

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree with OP!

Still thoroughly enjoying my S7 Edge Exynos, its still runs beautifully.

The S7 Edge feels more like a S8 Variant rather than an older device.

Battery life continues to be legendary. :)

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the S8 now, but due to the lack of any new camera features and the poor fingerprint scanner placement, I can't say it's a worthwhile upgrade. The only feature that I really like is the size - the S8 is easier to use with one hand.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I upgrade every year, had the galaxy phones since the S2.. Probably don't need to as the S7 is running Nougat and there's not much difference from the S8 .. Perhaps every two years would be enough for most ppl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa