Chrome randomly opens on its own after Verizon update

src1425

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
My S7 Edge is still getting great mileage and everything has been working fine. Have not installed any news apps in a while. Yesterday I received the prompt to install System Update 30 from Verizon, and immediately started getting weird behavior from Chrome. It will randomly open up and go to some sort of sports website that I have never seen before. I can close it down, but several hours later it does it again.

Any suggestions for debugging this? Is the Verizon update just a coincidence?

Thanks!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My S7 Edge is still getting great mileage and everything has been working fine. Have not installed any news apps in a while. Yesterday I received the prompt to install System Update 30 from Verizon, and immediately started getting weird behavior from Chrome. It will randomly open up and go to some sort of sports website that I have never seen before. I can close it down, but several hours later it does it again.

Any suggestions for debugging this? Is the Verizon update just a coincidence?

Thanks!
Hi, you can clear history in chrome, if that doesn't work try long press the chrome app>info tap >clear cache and date then force stop.

src1425

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi, you can clear history in chrome, if that doesn't work try long press the chrome app>info tap >clear cache and date then force stop.

Still happening, unfortunately. The website is sport-news.icu and it most frequently pops up when I unlock the phone. It also pops up several times overnight when I'm running my night clock. Just to be clear, Chrome opens up on its own and goes to the website.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Still happening, unfortunately. The website is sport-news.icu and it most frequently pops up when I unlock the phone. It also pops up several times overnight when I'm running my night clock. Just to be clear, Chrome opens up on its own and goes to the website.

Wow , you cleared notification in chrome also?

src1425

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow , you cleared notification in chrome also?

Did not think of clearing notifications for Chrome, which I've now done. However, isn't that kind of a band-aid fix (assuming it works)? Something is causing to open on its own and go to a specific website. Seems damned suspicious!

Thanks for your replies!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Did not think of clearing notifications for Chrome, which I've now done. However, isn't that kind of a band-aid fix (assuming it works)? Something is causing to open on its own and go to a specific website. Seems damned suspicious!

Thanks for your replies!
No it's not band-aid fix , if you browse something it sometime can enable notifications that if don't delete or turn off can pop up

src1425

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! It's just very odd, as I've NEVER been to this particular website. We'll see if it keeps popping up again while I'm sleeping tonight. It overrides my night clock until I close it down again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks! It's just very odd, as I've NEVER been to this particular website. We'll see if it keeps popping up again while I'm sleeping tonight. It overrides my night clock until I close it down again.
Ok let me know but I think that was it .

src1425

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Well this is getting pretty annoying. Chrome notifications are turned off. I just went to open my phone to read a text and up pops Chrome and redirects to that same website. I ran Zemana and the phone appears to be clean. :(

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well this is getting pretty annoying. Chrome notifications are turned off. I just went to open my phone to read a text and up pops Chrome and redirects to that same website. I ran Zemana and the phone appears to be clean. :(
If it can be uninstalled do that then install it , double check where that website is in chrome , history, notification,book mark, download? Double check there's something your missing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you already try clearing your entire browsing history from within the phone's Chrome app's settings menu "from the beginning of time," and doing the same on Chrome on your desktop?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa