Why is my S9 and S9+ now randomly jumping ahead 4 hours after Android 9 update?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a S9 and S9+, on Verizon Wireless, which were working fine. At the end of January or first of February, both phones updated to Android 9. After the update both phones would randomly jump ahead 5 hours. There was no specific reason for this to happen and even happened when miles away from home and phones separated by distance (so, home wifi, local tower, phones in close proximity, etc. are not the cause). Once daylight savings time occurred, now they randomly jump ahead 4 hours.

Of course neither Verizon or Samsung have ever heard of this (I should play the lottery because i have the only 2 phones out of millions with this issue!!).

I have worked with Verizon and Samsung to troubleshoot/solve the problem from factory resets, Verizon looking at towers, nothing has worked. The issue even occurs without a SIM as a factory fresh reset. I sent my phone off to Samsung and for some reason the ticket states the PBA was replaced because my wireless charging wasn't working (IT WAS - THAT'S HOW I CHARGE) and the NFC not working.

Received my S9+ back after a week at Samsung and within an hour the time jumped 4 hours ahead. OBVIOUSLY, the issue was not fixed by Samsung.

Has anyone experienced this? Suggestions? It's really weird both my S9 and S9+ were affected by this.

Thanks,
Tony

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Is the date and time set to automatic?
If yes have you tried manual settings and make sure you set the time zone correctly.
Then set flight mode on and see if it happens again.

Ken Ascher

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
My Note 9 on Verizon has the identical random four hour ahead issue that you described. I am not on the border of a different time zone. Verizon technical support did not have a solution that fixed this issue. This random ime error screws up the calendar and wake up alarms. This makes my Samsung Note 9 by Verizon unreliable and useless.
Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali