Samsung s7 stopped working. Can't see screen can't do anything

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Any drops, trauma, or water exposure? What happens if you press and hold Power and Vol Down for 15-20 seconds to force a shutdown, then try to power on again normally?

BillArf

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
just stopped working. lights up gets texts can't see screen

You can't remove the Galaxy S7 battery, so if your device freezes and you can't turn your phone off and on, you'll want to force a hard reboot using the following simple method:

Hold down the power button
Hold down the volume down button
Keep them held down for 7+ seconds

redbirdgirl

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, thank you, thank you. My phone went black and only the back button and the key to close apps would light up. I thought for sure that it was done for until I saw your post on how to do the hard reset so thank you so much. Once I did the hard reset it turned on and worked as if nothing happened.

yunique

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
yeah this happened to me a few days ago but the volume down button and home button trick worked and my phone has been fine since. besides that hiccup this phone has been amazing for me

Posted via the Android Central App

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Interesting to see other people with this issue. This happened to me tonight - I took it out of my purse & the screen was black & wouldn't wake up, but the LED was blinking. Periodically the left & right bottom buttons would light up & then go out. What the HECK is causing this to happen? I just picked this phone up 2 days ago & am debating porting my number but I wanted to run this phone side-by-side against my LG G3 to see if I like it. This isn't a good early impression!

I also just found this: http://recomhub.com/blog/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-s7-black-screen-problem/

Last edited:

Chris Storie

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I've been using the S7 since sometime in March coming from the S5 and S6. I haven't had time to learn all the tricks. I have had my S7 freeze up 2 or 3 times. I was working on it til the battery got low. So I put on charge and kept working. I renctly found out while charging the phone you should not be using it. Home or car. I was happy with the news. I wanted to share this link with everyone just to get some feedback.

10 Common Samsung Galaxy S7 problems and how to fix them

Conner Sanders

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
factory reset

Welcome to Android Central! Any drops, trauma, or water exposure? What happens if you press and hold Power and Vol Down for 15-20 seconds to force a shutdown, then try to power on again normally?

how long should this process take? the led light is blue and wont shut off

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You might have to hold the buttons down for upwards of a minute. But if the LED stays blue, then it might be due to a more fundamental failure of the motherboard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87