Music streaming stops/pauses on galaxy s7

didelgado

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
I've had the Samsung galaxy s7 (sprint) for the past week and the one bug/glitch I've noticed has been with music streaming. It doesn't matter if it's pandora or spotify but the music will suddenly stop playing either halfway through the song or after the first song requiring me to unlock my phone and once the app is back on my screen it starts playing again without having to hit the play button. Its happened on 3g, 4g, WiFi, while driving, with bluetooth headphones, regular phone speakers etc. I've tried turning the phone off and on, and clearing the cache however nothing is working. I've looked up previous issues and people have said the comcast app with the s5 caused similar problems but I don't have that problem. Upgraded from a s5 last week with none of these problems. Any fixes?

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem with the rhapsody app when I downloaded the music to my device. It will stream without a problem though. I don't use other apps for music though.

HNLE

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Im having the exact same problem....

Ive also tried downloading a third party app of the stream music apps but still the same thing.

funny thing is when i leave it on charge and stream my music it works fine, once i take the charge off moments later it just pauses.

im not sure how i can fix it, normal music player on the phone works fine. its just streaming music apps. frustrating =(

dcgg

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Galaxy S7 Edge (AT&T)
I have had all these problems. Audio streaming stops randomly. I am using streaming over Wi-Fi. It stops in several applications including Google Chrome. It seems better if using full power (not power saving) and if device is being charged. However, stops still happen. Sometimes streaming will re-start with no intervention. Sometimes it seems to stop permanently. Sometimes an error box will be displayed which says "Unknown Media Error -1". I have done a factory data reset but nothing changed. Any clues would be appreciated. It certainly seems like a bug in Marshmallow.

BKL2006

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Having the same issues with my new S7 from Sprint. Using Pandora and Amazon Music. Both play briefly and stop. When I unlock the phone, the music starts playing again after a few seconds. If I don't unlock, the music never comes back on. All Sprint could offer was to try another music app or contact Samsung. Sprint is aware of the issue. Have tried turning off power saving mode for the apps as was suggested on another site I visited but that did't work. Very frustrated as I stream music a lot.

Ju1es

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to add that I've been seeing odd behaviour from Google Music when I have "Power Saving" turned on on my Samsung Galaxy S7.

When I tried to download music to my device it would fail the download unless I kept the screen active and on the Google Music app. As soon as I turned off "Power Saving", I could turn the screen off, or change apps, and my music would continue to download in the background.

Earlier I had also witnessed terrible streaming of music, again via Google Music, and I tried to download to the device because I suspected bad wifi reception, but I now think it was actually the "Power Saving" mode being switched on. I just didn't have the time to investigate further like I describe above.

I also investigated the "App Power Saving" option, but Google Music wasn't present to select. Even so I turn it off (while power saving was on), and still the download of music issue was present.

berry124

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
So I had the same issue with my s7 (exynos) and contacted Samsung support (Belgium), first they said it was “strange” and “rare” but after some time the guy suggested to turn on the sound when you lock your display. I only did this 15 minutes ago, but for now the problem seems resolved.

oibotis

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem then realized it only happened when I had power saving mode turned on, turn that off before you listen to music

Thanks! Samsung and Sprint couldn't figure this one out. Some girl in Guam actually told me that it was supposed to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

joaogac

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem then realized it only happened when I had power saving mode turned on, turn that off before you listen to music

Is there any workaround to continue using the power saving mode ? Unfortunately, disabling it consumes a lot of battery from my galaxy s6 device....

joaogac

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
So I had the same issue with my s7 (exynos) and contacted Samsung support (Belgium), first they said it was “strange” and “rare” but after some time the guy suggested to turn on the sound when you lock your display. I only did this 15 minutes ago, but for now the problem seems resolved.

berry124, could you please clarify more how you exactly "turn on the sound when you lock your display" ?? ty !!

49er_PhD

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
It also seems to stop when you are shooting a video. WTF is this Samsung? What good is 'power saving' if it shuts down all the stuff you're trying to do?

windwingger

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi All, the issue still persist even after I turn off power save mode. Nothing seems to fix this issue. I've tried rocket player and poweramp etc. And no luck.... feels like an absolute waste of money for a music lover

vingamm1

May 3, 2016
Visit site
The problem outlined has nothing to do with the rhapsody app. It has to do with power save mode. AS a matter of fact if you have it active when you install rhapsody you will get a popup telling you that the power save mode might interfere with streaming audio. Power save mode will limit data usage when the screen cuts off. Streaming music is just that data usage. If you activate the dev options you can tweak it a little, but the easiest way to avoid the choppy playback is to just turn it off. Oh and by the way. In dev options you can customize a little better than you could by simply turning on the power save function. it is not as lazy as just ticking that switch, but in the end your phone will behave the way you wanted it to.