Issues with calculator

Mr_B_B

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has tried this but I used the calculator last night on my s7 edge UK, tried 55-20%.....it came back repeatedly with 54.8!

Not 44.

I know new phones have bugs but jeez, the damn calculator? Something I use daily.

I've also had an issue where the music audio became distorted and quiet. Idiopathically resolved after 12 hours. Bizarre.

Anyways does anyone else have a wonky Samsung calculator?

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
It does the same on my S7 and S7 edge. It is not right. On my Galaxy Core Prime and pc calculator I get the right answer.

Posted via the Android Central App on a kicking Gold Samsung Galaxy S7

Attachments

• 4373.jpg
    4373.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 175

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a math/order of operations issue (the calculator is correct).
If my students wrote 55 - 20% I would ask 55 - (20 percent of WHAT)? What you want to do is 55 times 80%.
Your other calculators are wrong. 20% without context is 0.20, you are actually doing 55 - (20/100)

Now the other calculators, while mathematically incorrect, are skirting the rules with the intent that it assumes it knows what your are trying to do.

Jason Fournier1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has tried this but I used the calculator last night on my s7 edge UK, tried 55-20%.....it came back repeatedly with 54.8!

Not 44.

I know new phones have bugs but jeez, the damn calculator? Something I use daily.

I've also had an issue where the music audio became distorted and quiet. Idiopathically resolved after 12 hours. Bizarre.

Yup calculator is correct.

Mr_B_B

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a math/order of operations issue (the calculator is correct).
If my students wrote 55 - 20% I would ask 55 - (20 percent of WHAT)? What you want to do is 55 times 80%.
Your other calculators are wrong. 20% without context is 0.20, you are actually doing 55 - (20/100)

Now the other calculators, while mathematically incorrect, are skirting the rules with the intent that it assumes it knows what your are trying to do.

Well God damn, I learnt something haha! I never knew that, so the gs7 calculator is a actually not dumbed like the others?! Thanks for the explanation, I genuinely will use that way to do percentages most days now :)

How are you with audio problems on the gs7 lol?

rrudytoo

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I discovered the same problem with my S7 just a few hours ago. I've been able to perform subtraction using percentage calculations on my previous phones and pocket calculators for years. Now they change? And with no notice?

Right or wrong, it was a stupid idea to change the format.

kelela92

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering what was going on since almost all the other calculators I've used in the past how many years would compute 55 - 20% and come up with 44. Glad it's not broken, just working mathematically correct. Haha.

Tim Mason1

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I was wondering what was going on since almost all the other calculators I've used in the past how many years would compute 55 - 20% and come up with 44. Glad it's not broken, just working mathematically correct. Haha.

Yeah it's correct. In the future type: 100-10%(100) for the right answer.

If you add brackets with the original number it will know what you mean

bullittmustang

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Not 44.

There is an update for the calculator app in the Samsung Galaxy Apps store. It changes it back to the way that it used to be.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
What calculators have you been using? I've been using calculators (actual scientific calculators by Casio or Sharp or Panasonic) in school since elementary (I'm 29 now) and they all work like how the S7 does?

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it's correct. In the future type: 100-10%(100) for the right answer.

If you add brackets with the original number it will know what you mean

Or just say, in your head, what percentage you're trying to calculate and then multiply the decimal (X%/100) by the number? Did people really get this intellectually lazy since I was in school? Surely you can do 100 - X, in your head? Right?

Last edited:

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
My unlocked UK S7 doesn't have this issue:

51ede8060101c984f7a44dd98989e0b9.jpg

Saurabh Singh21

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
My samsung S7 cal. Works fine with for a while an then after sometime it automatically underline the entered operand and hence you cannot apply any operator.......... solve as soon as possible !