Where on earth are the updates?

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
My international unlocked Galaxy S7 is still on the August Security Patch and GSM Arena is claiming that the S7 and S7 Edge are already getting the October Patch! What the heck is wrong with Samsung!!

tunic330

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
They drop their last phones incredibly quickly. That is what bugs me when it comes to android. On iOS it is certain that your phone will get the latest updates just as fast as everybody else, and your 3 year old phone can almost always handle the new OS flawlessly. On android phones (including Samsung) the manufacturer just don't provide you with the latest updates. It kinda sucks.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
They drop their last phones incredibly quickly. That is what bugs me when it comes to android. On iOS it is certain that your phone will get the latest updates just as fast as everybody else, and your 3 year old phone can almost always handle the new OS flawlessly. On android phones (including Samsung) the manufacturer just don't provide you with the latest updates. It kinda sucks.

Another reason I am all in for a Pixel XL...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It rolls out in batches through the countries, plus your carrier will modify your update and release it according to their own schedule, not Samsung's.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

Very true, this ticks me off man, the S7 is not an old phone by any means.

Remember what happened to the Note 4? Same thing, they update it to Lollipop 5.0.1 which was very buggy and caused a huge battery drain compared to Kit Kat that was later fixed in Lollipop 5.1 but they didn't update the Note 4 to 5.1 for many months after the S5 and Note 5 were released to kinda force people to buy the next big thing.

But the situation here is different, we've had reports twice now from GSM Arena that the s7 is getting the Sep security update and now the October security update but where is it!!!! I hate this, I keep checking for updates manually every hour it's getting boring.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
even on an international unlocked version? why would my carrier have anything to do with it here?
Are you in the US? Not really sure how it works in the US. I hear stuff about needing to activate the phone on the network and stuff. In other countries you just pop a sim ans you're good. I'm not in the US and I get monthly updates no problems, although it's a bit late since I get them 3rd week of every month, but as I have a carrier branded device it seems expected.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Given my S7 has been running very smoothly over the last 6 months, I don't really care much whether it updates or not. What exactly are the benefits of getting updates when everything is running well? Aside from security? And is security really that important on Android for the "average" user?

Sometimes updates can break something and cause things to not run as smoothly. The latest AOD update is an example - I prefer the previous version of AOD and now I can't (easily) rollback to it - uninstalling the update via the usual/normal method causes a rollback of the App to factory settings.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Boy. Some people sure get impatient waiting for a minor update.
Checking every hour seems to be OCD about it.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Are you in the US? Not really sure how it works in the US. I hear stuff about needing to activate the phone on the network and stuff. In other countries you just pop a sim ans you're good. I'm not in the US and I get monthly updates no problems, although it's a bit late since I get them 3rd week of every month, but as I have a carrier branded device it seems expected.
I'm in Dubai

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
September patch here unlocked model in UK. No October one yet.

They roll it out to different countries at different times unfortunately.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
September patch here unlocked model in UK. No October one yet.

They roll it out to different countries at different times unfortunately.

still no update here in Dubai on my International Unlocked S7, running the buggy August patch with bad cell reception / radio file and intermittent wifi disconnections