65% battery drain when phone completely off

Lalam2442

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I'm curious if anything like this has happened to anyone else. I did do an update several days ago so that may be the cause. Last night my phone, before going to sleep, was at roughly 75%. I turned the phone off and, when I turned it on in the morning, it was at 10%. I know for a fact it was completely off, so I don't understand how this could've happened. Has this happened to anyone before, and was it isolated? Or should I be worried about my battery.

Here's the graph, the first gap was it turned off for a bit and acting normal, second gap was while I was asleep.

LXYtM47.jpg

I've seen this kind of thing happen with older models but never the S7, so I'm just curious if people have experienced it as an isolated issue before.

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I've had battery draining issues, but never when the phone was actually turned OFF. What 'recent update' did you do to the phone? Have you tried doing a cache wipe? That won't remove your data or settings, so I'd try it first. If it was a system update, and the cache wipe doesn't help, I'd consider a factory data reset after backing up your phone. I would have suggested just trying a power off and restart, but you've already done that. Good luck!

Lalam2442

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I've had battery draining issues, but never when the phone was actually turned OFF. What 'recent update' did you do to the phone? Have you tried doing a cache wipe? That won't remove your data or settings, so I'd try it first. If it was a system update, and the cache wipe doesn't help, I'd consider a factory data reset after backing up your phone. I would have suggested just trying a power off and restart, but you've already done that. Good luck!
It was just a recent software update. I did a cache wipe about a week ago, I'll try it again. Thankfully there was no battery drain while it was off last night.

Lalam2442

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
That is odd... Battery may be failing there...

Older phones with this issue seem to have a hardware or software issue on the phone's side, so that's even more worrisome to me.

I'm still surprised I'm the first person with an s7 to report this issue based on my research. I'm really hoping someone has had the issue, ignored it, and it's gone away, AND will see this topic.

I recall I was also fast charging the other day for about 3 hours and it was still at 50% when I got to it, which is far from normal for me. That may have been the day of the update, I forgot though.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes, it's unusual, I've not seen it around so far. One would expect that once the device is OFF, there would be Zero battery drain. This is another thing I don't like about soft keys. With a hard switch, once it's off, it's off.

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
Just remember any device with a "soft" power switch is never truly off.

This alone drives me nuts that they issue Energy Star ratings that still use power when "off".