It looks too tall and too thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
New ratio makes it so easier to handle now if you hate change that much just stick with what you want no one's forcing you to change lmao i think Lg is dumb AF to not opt with a bigger screen with such an aspect ratio and iphones are still thinner btw than the s8 and i simply can't agree with anything negative said here (obviously). If you're to hate it that much just go buy anything else no one cares what you use,and yes you're part of a very small minority samsung said themselves they sold more s8 than s7 xD.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
20170616_121539.jpg
IMG_20170616_122015.jpg

ZTE Zmax Pro: 6.0'
Galaxy S8 Plus: 6.2'

LG V20: 5.7'
Galaxy S8 Plus: 6.2

Of both phones, the S8 Plus appears to have a smaller screen although it has an 6.2 inch screen. I agree the phone is way to long and is annoying to use, you can't pull down the notification bar while using it one handed (unless you slide your hand all the way up). Very ironic, it was supposed to be easier to use one handed but it's actually not. The Note 7 looks much better, it's actually fully symmetrical whereas the S8 Plus is more curvy on the front.

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I use Nova gestures for this. I can swipe down from any home screen and it pulls it down.
I tried Nova for awhile but I like to switch back and forth between that and stock and for some reason after I installed Nova when I went back to stock I couldn't resize widgets on the stock launcher. Had to factory reset to fix it. So i just stick to stock now.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
If companies didn't do that, we'd still be talking on flip phones and pressing the 7 button four times to type an "S". lol.

Thank You.

Also look, not everything phone makers do is going to work. But I prefer to encourage foward moving tech over just releasing the same phone year after year.

People would complain about that too.

TheyCallMeBT

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Thank You.

Also look, not everything phone makers do is going to work. But I prefer to encourage foward moving tech over just releasing the same phone year after year.

Exactly. I mean we had the horrors of the Nokia taco phone and the Moto banana phone (I actually liked the non-banana version of the Moto Z3, lol). Everything isn't going to work out. But Samsung tried the "edge" on the Galaxy Note Edge. Then brought that into I think it was the S7 Edge, but not the smaller S7. And now that it's been a popular feature, they put it on both the S8 and S8+. At this point, every smartphone looks really similar. Take the first iPhone and what we're using now is still for the most part the same. The industry needs these new ideas to move tech forward. Even if they flop, it's still progress.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I just think it's too narrow to type comfortably on.

The antithesis of the BB Passport.

Have you even owned the s8 ? judging by your first comment you haven't and why you say stuff when you haven't tried it baffles me...... the g6 has the same aspect basically (.5 dosen't change anything really) and a smaller screen, where's as the s8 has 2 size for more people smaller bezels and more functions overall (+ imho it's a better bang for buck). Also the passport has nothing to do here it's not even running android lol.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 262090
View attachment 262089

ZTE Zmax Pro: 6.0'
Galaxy S8 Plus: 6.2'

LG V20: 5.7'
Galaxy S8 Plus: 6.2

Of both phones, the S8 Plus appears to have a smaller screen although it has an 6.2 inch screen. I agree the phone is way to long and is annoying to use, you can't pull down the notification bar while using it one handed (unless you slide your hand all the way up). Very ironic, it was supposed to be easier to use one handed but it's actually not. The Note 7 looks much better, it's actually fully symmetrical whereas the S8 Plus is more curvy on the front.

You can make videos full screen on the S8 and S8+ 6.2 is definitely bigger the 5.7 on the V20 and the display is by far better visually.

tgm1024

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Thank You.

Your reply, and the reply that you responded to, are completely absurd.

So let's be completely clear: I really don't think you guys can read what I said.

1. DUH, I know that I don't have to buy it. But remember, this thread is about "It looks too tall and too thin", and I'm getting BS responses pretending that I said something about not wanting any change. I didn't say that, this thread is about tall and thin, and I'm simply chiming in with my agreement with the OP.

2. To THAT extent, knock it off please. OF COURSE change is good. But some change is just stupid, and or stupid looking, to at least me. You got that? To me.

---> Did I trying to convince any of you to not get this phone? No.
---> Did I make it clear that I really loved Samsung pioneering the way to larger phones? Yes.
---> Did I make it clear that I'm not against change in general? Yes.

And still you guys persist with this stupid mantra with works to the effect of "well if phones didn't change, they'd still be _____" <-----Insert some low intellect description.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
since screen size is measured diagonally Samsung could claim a larger screen size with a taller screen but a similar width to their other phones. that is if the width is nine units and the hight is 16 units than the screen size is 18.36 units. increase the hight to 18 units and the screen size increases to 20.12 units. simple math but great for marketing.

TheyCallMeBT

May 2, 2017
Visit site

So let's be completely clear: I really don't think you guys can read what I said.

1. DUH, I know that I don't have to buy it. But remember, this thread is about "It looks too tall and too thin", and I'm getting BS responses pretending that I said something about not wanting any change. I didn't say that, this thread is about tall and thin, and I'm simply chiming in with my agreement with the OP.

2. To THAT extent, knock it off please. OF COURSE change is good. But some change is just stupid, and or stupid looking, to at least me. You got that? To me.

---> Did I make it clear that I really loved Samsung pioneering the way to larger phones? Yes.

And still you guys persist with this stupid mantra with works to the effect of "well if phones didn't change, they'd still be _____" <-----Insert some low intellect description.

First, this was a three month old thread that was made before anyone here actually had the phone in their hand.

Second, I was keeping it light hearted, if using the phrases "taco phone" and "banana phone" (talking about actual, specific phone models) didn't make that obvious. And I was actually enjoying talking a bit about how technology has moved in the past 15 years. With some light "tech philosophy" added in (I may have not written anything to that effect, but it made me think more on that path).

So while I was enjoying this thread, this harsh response from you makes it no longer enjoyable. So if that's the tone this thread is going to take, I'll keep my distance from here on. I don't appreciate being referred to as low intellect.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Maybe you need to get over yourself, because my post was not a direct response to yours, it was a general post to everyone in the thread. If I had wanted to respond directly to you, I would have quoted you like I just did now. See how that works?

Maybe you need to lighten up a realize we are debating phones here, not something that super important.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo