Buying Galaxy S8+

A

AC Question

If I am paying cash for a new Samsung Galaxy S8+ is there any advantage to buying it directly from Samsung vs Verizon?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
If I am paying cash for a new Samsung Galaxy S8+ is there any advantage to buying it directly from Samsung vs Verizon?

Not sure because when buying from Samsung it's a distributor who actually ships it, not Samsung and I've heard a lot of bad reviews about them, the return process, wait times, etc. Probably better to buy from verizon or the unlocked model at Best Buy when it comes out.

gbungart

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks...is there any advantage to an unlocked model...I didn't think Verizon locked their phones any more. ALSO the reason I would like a non Verizon sale is they take forever to push out updates.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
from what i read it takes just as long for samsung to push out updates as it does verizon. from what i can tell the only real advantage is there is less bloatware on the unlocked phones.

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks...is there any advantage to an unlocked model...I didn't think Verizon locked their phones any more. ALSO the reason I would like a non Verizon sale is they take forever to push out updates.

Stay away from an unlocked version, unless you actually swap out sims and travel abroad. I bought an S7 edge unlocked thinking I'll get updates first.

I was wrong. Still waiting for nougat while us cellular, Rogers, and ever other carrier already has it. Never again

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I would order from your carrier. Not saying it will happen but with the Note 7 fiasco, those who ordered directly from Samsung had a heck of a time getting it returned and getting refunds to show up. Because they ordered directly from Samsung, going into a carrier store was not an option as the purchase wasn't made with that company so there were no records in their system.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Probably best to buy from Verizon cause you get the best of both worlds it being unlocked and then you should be getting updates quicker.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
In the past has a place like best buy adding their own promotions on top of what Samsung offers. My note7 i pre-ordered through Verizon, and of course big red had no additional promotions going.

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I would really like an unlocked phone. So I can leave a carrier if I want to switch to another if their prices are better. I like having that freedom. But I certainly don't like the fact that they seem to be in the back of the line with updates. Or that it is difficult to get support for them. If you get one and buy it outright from ATT, Verizon, or Tmobile, they have to unlock it right?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

The phone is unlocked. The difference between the Verizon branded version and the unbranded version is the lack of bloatware from Verizon and the Verizon logo on the back and on start up. Though, you're still stuck with Samsung bloatware.

The part that is "locked" is the CDMA. The GSM and LTE radios are not locked.

Joseph Guy1

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I always get unlocked version from best buy or directly, the S7 issues is correct it dose take longer to get updates but not that much, in my case I hate all the crap verzion and att put on their phones so I go for unlocked

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I always get unlocked version from best buy or directly, the S7 issues is correct it dose take longer to get updates but not that much, in my case I hate all the crap verzion and att put on their phones so I go for unlocked

I didn't know best buy sold unlocked flagship phones like the S series

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I used to think buying unlocked would mean faster updates, but that's not really the case. We'll see what the buying options actually turn out to be, but I think I'd still prefer buying outside the carrier system to avoid the extra software bloat, branding, and entering a new contract.

Last edited:

Joseph Guy1

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Depends on you if you don't care about all the crap carriers put on their phone then go with them but I hate all the crap so I buy unlocked

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
How have the last few Galaxy launches been in terms of availability? I haven't had a Samsung phone since the Note 2. If this phone is a hit, is it likely to be hard to find early on??

So many botched Android device launches over the years have left me jaded haha. Seems the excitement of a great new phone is often marred by the frustration of trying to actually get it in my hands!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana