I like the design of S8 overall except the fingerprint sensor location

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I think we will need to get used to this bizzare location. I feel it will be much easier to get used to in S8 than S8+ due to the fact how tall S8+ is. I had the same feeling when the fingerprint sensors started to appear in the back, but now I am pretty used to it and like it so far.

Hoping Samsung will bring the fingerprint sensor embedded into the infinity display probably in Note 8 or S9.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Tried it last night at Best Buy. I'm a lefty so for me, it's pretty hard to stretch my finger that way. I'll be defaulting to pattern security I think as the Iris scanner is pretty slow too.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
If you don't like the placement of the figure scanner then use the iris or facial recognition instead.
Personally I hold my phone wth my index finger somewhere in the location of where the new scanner location is so to me it's the right move.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
And for those of you that might be worried about smudging up the lens, the solution that worked for me is to get a D-Brand camera lens skin. You will be able to feel that when you touch it as oppossed to just leaving it naked and you might not be able to tell which is the lens and what is the glass back

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think anyone is a fan of the placement.

Personally, having used a Note 7 and knowing how the regular S7 and Edge are like, I don't think users of the smaller S8 are going to have too much difficulty after getting used to it.

But on the S8+, it might be a little bit of a struggle for the first few due to how tall it is.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree, 100%.

This is, in fact, my biggest and only problem with this phone. I use my phone on my desk throughout my entire work day, and most of my time at home as well (coffee table, etc).

I've heard all of the alternative solutions, but I don't like them.

- Use face lock. No. It can be fooled by a photo of me, not secure.

-Iris scanner. Sure, but then I need to pick up/position my phone each time, really not ideal.

-Smart unlock to my WiFi or watch. Still not good enough, it needs to be locked. I have a 2 year old, I rest my case. (no, I don't intentionally leave it where he can reach it, but life happens).

-PIN/password. Perhaps, but an extra step that was simplified by the invention of fingerprint reader, haha.

The one saving grace is that, coming from the S6, I'll now have the always-on screen to show any notifications.

I may invest in a wireless charging stand, rather than the current wireless charger I use that's flat on desk. That way, perhaps I can angle the phone at my face for Iris scanning while at work.