T-Mobile Pre-Order Question and Comment Thread

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Heh, well in the sciences interpreting and analyzing the data is 9/10th of the battle.
The way I read this, the "first come, first serve" policy pertains to delays in shipping beyond the planned ship date. Why T-Mobile would NOT just ship the phones the moment they are paid for is beyond me. After all, crazy people like me who wake up at 6:30 AM just to pre-order a phone are also going to be showing it off to friends, coworkers, etc. and basically giving Samsung free advertising. One would think that Samsung wants the general public to be looking at the Galaxy S8 in action prior to the official launch. But I'm not in marketing, so what the heck do I know?

Hi, i see that you wrote that you got up early at 6:30am to pre-order a phone.

Well, i did the opposite:

i stayed up until midnight in order to call them just when pre-order starts.

unfortunately, for whatever reason, the phone call took a L O N G time and i think we weren't done with my pre-order until around 12:40am, a full 40 minutes or so, approximately.

like you, i now believe this is a silly thing for both of us to have done as it seems to make not one iota of difference - we all seem to be getting our phones in "bunches",

sort of like:

"the early bird crowd" - send out notices and print UPS labels first

"the 'Day 2' crowd" - send out notices and print UPS labels the following day,

etc.

staying up late or waking up early seems to make very little discernable difference.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I would always pre-order because I looked forward to those really early deliveries. If we keep getting it a day before public release and Samsung keeps offering the Gear VR, then whats the purpose? Just wait a day and buy it in store. This is what all this waiting is making me think.

I agree. The only reason I pre order because my county only has ONE tmobile store and they always run out of stock and each time I buy from them I have to keep playing phone tag to see what time the UPS guy comes each day. If I lived in St. Louis I would never pre order because I had THREE Tmobile stores within a 5-10 minutes drive and many other stores in the area too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Pardon me if I missed it somewhere in the 1000+ posts. Has anyone called UPS to get info on their packages that are just loafing in a warehouse somewhere? If not then I'll be happy to. Thanks in advance.

UPS won't allow you to pick it up even if it is.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah!
I remember blues going crazy last year waiting for the note 7
People trying to calm him down
LMAO

And the bad part was the return process was indeed a total nightmare to get my refund. Tmobile on all fronts dropped the ball with me until I finally got a good rep on Tforce finally that went to bat for me and got my full refund back ASAP on my card. I was ready to get the attorney general and local media involved.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, i see that you wrote that you got up early at 6:30am to pre-order a phone.

Well, i did the opposite:

i stayed up until midnight in order to call them just when pre-order starts.

unfortunately, for whatever reason, the phone call took a L O N G time and i think we weren't done with my pre-order until around 12:40am, a full 40 minutes or so, approximately.

like you, i now believe this is a silly thing for both of us to have done as it seems to make not one iota of difference - we all seem to be getting our phones in "bunches",

sort of like:

"the early bird crowd" - send out notices and print UPS labels first

"the 'Day 2' crowd" - send out notices and print UPS labels the following day,

etc.

staying up late or waking up early seems to make very little discernable difference.
Reality just slapped one more pre-order victim in the face.
It never makes any sense to stay up late or get up early to pre-order a phone. It doesn't make you first in line. I think some do it just to say that they ordered at midnight. Any time during the first week is safe to reserve a phone to go out in the first batch and not have any backorders.

Soggly

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Pardon me if I missed it somewhere in the 1000+ posts. Has anyone called UPS to get info on their packages that are just loafing in a warehouse somewhere? If not then I'll be happy to. Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure no one has, would be irritating yet slightly funny if they just generally forgot them

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure no one has, would be irritating yet slightly funny if they just generally forgot them
I meant along the lines of if UPS could give a better description of the package status. Mine says processed for example. Sometimes they can see more than what's available to us. I'm not eager.. ;)

gpatrick15

Mar 27, 2009
Visit site
It's all fun and games until a highly sought after device goes on backorder due to a rush of early preorders. Some people were complaining about some of the Note 7 colors going on backorder very quickly. And I've also been around during iPhone preorders, where the well dries up pretty quickly for the popular models. I preordered the iPhone 6 plus within a day of preorders going live and was quoted a month ETA. Lucky for me they arrived not too far from release date, but a lot of people weren't so lucky. If you plan on preordering I say get it done as soon as you're able to, just for piece of mind. Now I don't advocate being the first in line, but I generally like to get it done in the first few days if I'm able to.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
What I'm saying is I don't need another VR. Samsung needs to change it up. Also, of all the freebies they offered (Gear VR, Gear Fit 2, Free Netflix, sd card etc...) all were limited. However, I don't know of anyone who pre-ordered and didn't receive their freebie. At lease nothing has come across the forums that I'm aware of. Benefits of waiting is that you get to see reviews (not of demos) before deciding. Also, I know that these type of things don't happen often but the Note 7 is a good example of when it would have been better for me to wait. But I hear you, waiting in line is no fun.

I think like other people have said the main reason to pre-order is to make sure you get the memory option, color and model you want without having to be at the mercy of whatever is in stock at a physical location.

Also when you pre-order you get your device slightly early, don't have to leave your home, don't have to deal with lines (if there is one) and you get to relax instead of dealing with pushy store reps, parking issues at retail locations, computer systems going down, etc.

I will still pre-order whenever it comes to a device I want, I don't really care about getting it 7 days early or 1 day early because skipping the lines and getting exactly what I want is 100% better. I think pre-orders are far more important when it comes to iPhones because of massive shipping delays but all other manufacturers seem to have enough inventory for their launch day.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Heh, well in the sciences interpreting and analyzing the data is 9/10th of the battle.

I just re-read the Twitter DM I got from T-Mobile when I inquired about the pre-orders on March 29. It says "With any launch there is always the possibility that demand could exceed the available supply...Once you complete your pre-order you are locked into your place in line, so if there were any delays in shipping, yours would be shipped before people who placed the order after you."

The way I read this, the "first come, first serve" policy pertains to delays in shipping beyond the planned ship date. Why T-Mobile would NOT just ship the phones the moment they are paid for is beyond me. After all, crazy people like me who wake up at 6:30 AM just to pre-order a phone are also going to be showing it off to friends, coworkers, etc. and basically giving Samsung free advertising. One would think that Samsung wants the general public to be looking at the Galaxy S8 in action prior to the official launch. But I'm not in marketing, so what the heck do I know?

Like everyone else here, I'm going to be spending all of next week compulsively refreshing the UPS page on my mobile browser and generally acting like a crack addict. However, intellectually I'm fairly certain I won't have my phone until the 20th or maybe even the 21st. God forbid, I'm slightly worried that the aforementioned "delays in shipping" may cause me to get my phone as late as the 22nd or 24th! It's a remote but distinct possibility given that on the T-Mobile app we've all seen that ominous message "Estimated to ship 04/20/2017 - 04/21/2017."

I genuinely hope none of our S8s get delayed and stuck in transit over the weekend of the 21st. Otherwise I suspect that several of us are going to get arrested for breaking in to various UPS distribution centers. :)

I wonder if we are all getting confused on what T-Mobile means when they say you are charged when your device ships and this is why -

What if T-Mobile charges you when THEY ship/give your device to UPS, FedEx, etc from their holding warehouse after they're delivered from China?

This seems like what is happening, I believe a lot of people assume when they are charged then that means it's shipping from UPS, FedEx, etc and that's not correct. I don't think when T-Mobile says "you will be charged when your device ships" has anything to do with the actually company delivering your device...

I don't know just throwing out ideas :D

Last edited:

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Reality just slapped one more pre-order victim in the face.
It never makes any sense to stay up late or get up early to pre-order a phone. It doesn't make you first in line. I think some do it just to say that they ordered at midnight. Any time during the first week is safe to reserve a phone to go out in the first batch and not have any backorders.

It matters when it comes to iPhone launches and that's a fact, anything else and then you're probably right.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

I wonder if we are all getting confused on what T-Mobile means when they say you are charged when your device ships and this is why -

What if T-Mobile charges you when THEY ship/give your device to UPS, FedEx, etc from their holding warehouse after they're delivered from China?

This seems like what is happening, I believe a lot of people assume when they are charged then that means it's shipping from UPS, FedEx, etc and that's not correct. I don't think when T-Mobile says "you will be charged when your device ships" has anything to do with the actually company delivering your device...

I don't know just throwing out ideas :D

That's exactly right. T-Mobile has technically shipped the devices to UPS, so your card has been charged. However, UPS isn't shipping them until the 19th, at the earliest. The shipment notification everyone's getting is simply because the shipping label has been created.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress