Galaxy S8 Drop Test - Gorilla Glass 5 not too strong.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I mean the first thing I do with any phone is get a case. Of all my phones I've had in my lifetime I have never cracked them once.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It will be interesting to see the rumored edge to edge screen iphone in the same drop test. I think edge to edge displays are prone to get more damage during a drop....

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
I will be particularly interested to see what LG does with their V30. Without a doubt, it's going to be a scaled up version of the G6. Edge to edge display, dual cameras, waterproof, etc. But will LG be gunning to keep next iteration of the V line MIL-STD-810G certified drop resistant? If they can pull that off, then LG will be able to say they've got the most accident-proof flagship on the market. Now if they could just switch over to Super-AMOLED displays ...

Samsung's problem is the curved edges. The physics of a curved edge being dropped on pavement is just impossible to avoid. It's more likely to crack than a flat screen.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
What a little iPhone fanboy. Same people like him were saying the HTC Evo was a non pocketable monstrosity, and far too big for any hand to hold. My point is he was clearly trying to find the weakness of innovation

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What the speed test shows me is the 5.5 inch iPhone screen game image is way bigger than the 5.7 inch S8 screen game image. The games even looked longer on the iPhone despite the ridiculously long s8 screen shape. The games don't use the space.

If you were to cut off sound and ask a person who knew nothing about either phone he would swear the iPhone had the larger screen.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
If you were to cut off sound and ask a person who knew nothing about either phone he would swear the iPhone had the larger screen.

I have the LG G6 and the on screen buttons cut off about 0.2" of the screen, making the actual usable space of the screen about 5.5", in apps. I kind of wish Samsung stuck with the capacitive buttons because the whole screen was usable.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the LG G6 and the on screen buttons cut off about 0.2" of the screen, making the actual usable space of the screen about 5.5", in apps. I kind of wish Samsung stuck with the capacitive buttons because the whole screen was usable.
I would prefer the bottom buttons to disappear as when you look at a movie then come back when you swipe up. Since virtually all Android phones have these now programmers should modify software to allow them to be hidden... or Android OS should.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Every phone I have had with on screen buttons has them disappear when in an app. You have to swipe up from bottom of screen to get them to reappear. Still hearing people who say they waste screen space. Sigh.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Seems pretty durable. Anyone who thinks a curved display will survive a front facing impact didn't go to science class in school. Adding a commuter series OtterBox case will give enough lip to protect it. It'll hit the lip of the case and save the edges of the display.

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
If I have $850 in cash then I will, at the very least, put it in a wallet to protect it. If I buy an $850 phone then I'm damn sure going to put it in a case and screen protector.

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I've had an S6 Edge+ since it first came out and dropped it plenty of times. My toddler even threw it across the room once and it hit the brick fireplace. No damage. I have a Verus case, forget the name, but basically a clone of the Spigen Neo Hybrid. No screen protector.

I plan on getting another one of these TPU / bumper cases and I'm not worried about screen damage one bit.

Of course now that I've tempted fate I better make sure my device insurance is all lined up...

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I would prefer the bottom buttons to disappear as when you look at a movie then come back when you swipe up. Since virtually all Android phones have these now programmers should modify software to allow them to be hidden... or Android OS should.

Android has been programmed for soft buttons for years and like someone said - the buttons disappear when a full screen app is opened and appear when swiped up. That is how Android has been for phones without the buttons. From the pics I've seen, it looks Samsung will sometimes show the buttons to transparently appear on top of the app. It won't take up usable space.

By the way, why is this guy drop testing the iPhone 7? That's old news. The broken S8 screen looks nicer than the iP7 screen. lol

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Android has been programmed for soft buttons for years and like someone said - the buttons disappear when an app is opened and appear when swiped up. That is how Android has been for phones without the buttons. From the pics I've seen, it looks Samsung will also allow these buttons to transparently appear on top of the app. It won't take up usable space.
I tried it. They don't. There is a speed comparison on youtube between iphone 7+ and s8. In the games the s8 icons remain and the game takes up very little of the screen. This may be because the game was designed for a normal screen ratio rather than the bizarre thin screen of the S8

Thus, even if buttons disappear, a large empty space is below the tiny version of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress