Quit crying about Bixby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No.. I don't think people should be shunned for their options. But my point was, what if it actually works? What if it's another Samsung Pay, and you've downed it before even trying it?

Once the phone is out and it's clear it's a failure, I'll be the first to admit it.
I'd admit I'm wrong and move on. Simple. I don't hold it to that serious of a thing :p.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone actually mad about bixby? Does it suck? Yeah, probably. But are people upset? They shouldn't be. If they are, why?

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Is anyone actually mad about bixby? Does it suck? Yeah, probably. But are people upset? They shouldn't be. If they are, why?

There are several folks who have professed hatred for it, and to me that is a baffling response. To me its fine, i just hope samsung is all in (seems like they are) and will keep supporting it.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think anyone is crying about Bixby. I think there may be one or two crying about Bixby posts. :confused:

I don't think anyone cares about Bixby to hate it... Everyone that buys a phone will press the button, maybe give it a shot, and if they don't like it just ignore it.

The issue people are giving their 2 cents on, or complaining about... is that you can't disable it if you don't like it. You couldn't even disable the button if you don't like it. You can't even disable the swipe left that take you to the Bixby cards.

At least with the S6 I played with you had Flipboard installed and had a swipe left installed to go into the flipboard widget... but you at least had the option to disable it by Samsung.

And when the devs find a way to disable the button, Samsung takes a heavy hand to block it. I do find it find it stupid you have a dedicated button that you can't do anything about and in a position that you WILL hit now and then.

I think it's not unusual for people to discuss it and even be annoyed with it. Hopefully it keeps getting discussed so that devs are more determined to find another work around and give Samsung the finger for blocking it. Why tell people to stop talking about it... just lay down and accept it? lol.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Other than pure fingers crossed hope that it does something cool, where does any excitement stem from? Contextual awareness? Dynamic content delivered as you need it? Bixby launch announcement echo'd Google Now in 2014. What bothers me personally is that always on display, facial recognition and other features that Samsung has implemented ARE actually cool and usable. Their development efforts should be on this level, not targeting Google head on.

I anticipate that the big gotcha that is still mostly hiding is that Bixby is going to require a user to utilize Samsung's native email, calendar, contact apps, etc. This is far and away the most reasonable and probable way for it to access email, calendar etc which is mandatory to perform its functionality. If this is in fact true, it seems to indicate that there will be a lot happening on a device level that Google and Apple have the luxury of performing in the cloud w/o any reliance on the endpoint itself.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I anticipate that the big gotcha that is still mostly hiding is that Bixby is going to require a user to utilize Samsung's native email, calendar, contact apps, etc.
This wouldn't be very surprising. Somewhat expected too, like you said. One of the bigger reasons I shifted from having my stuff on Samsung services to Google was in the event that I chose a different OEM for my next phone. When I had the S3, I had a fair amount of data on Samsung servers. Then I got the Moto X 2013, and that's when I realized I wanted my things on Google servers. This is where Bixby would be a fail for me. Not because it isn't a good idea or product, but because I won't fuel Samsung's native apps with my data.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Stop complaining about something you haven't even used yet. Or better yet, if it is a big deal, go buy something else. Noone is forcing you to use or buy it. It is not about options either or ppl would be raging about not remapping the power button too. Leys grow up and stop being so negative. This is a great phone!

Personally, I'm fine having to wait. Let Samsung get it right before releasing. I'd rather have a "working" assistant than to have a half baked tool. Get all of the quirks and bugs out first.

J

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't care about Bixby, won't use it. But if Samsung has really deactivated voice activation for Google Assistant, I'll cancel mine. This will anger a lot of people.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't care about Bixby, won't use it. But if Samsung has really deactivated voice activation for Google Assistant, I'll cancel mine. This will anger a lot of people.

I had not seen that, just that Samsung took away the option to remap the physical button to go somewhere else aside from Bixby. Also not thinking Google would allow it?

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I had not seen that, just that Samsung took away the option to remap the physical button to go somewhere else aside from Bixby. Also not thinking Google would allow it?

At least one user here has reported that voice activation is gone now that his S8+ has arrived the "update"

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It hasn't. You hold the home button and Google Assistant pops up.

goodintentions

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
My initial reaction about the bixby button not being allowed to remap was indeed negative. After all, I had no intention of using it. But then I reminded myself of what happened with one of my apps.

A couple years ago, I added a feature to one of my apps after many of my app users requested it. But even after I added the feature, people continued to email me asking for that feature. I placed it in the menu, but apparently many people never played around with the app to check. So, I decided to put the button for the app right there on the top right corner.

My point is I should probably give bixby a chance before I write it off. Kudos to Samsung for essentially forcing us to try it out bixby with the button. Goodness knows, I'm just as guilty as anyone for resisting to change.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes. It worked until the update as some people are reporting. Now it's deactivated both on the lock screen and when the phone is unlocked

Have watched several reviews that were posted in the last hour. One of them, (not sure which specificly tho) did show the Google Assistant working via voice command.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Nothing is perfect. Will I use it? Sure I will. I'll give it a try, I mean it's already a done deal for the S8/S8+. If Bixby doesn't work out, it would be nice to remap it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress