those that have the S8, anyone seeing Red?

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
It reminds me of a couple of years ago when the 1st batch of kindle fire HDX tablets came out, some people complained about A blue discoloration around the edges. When people said they weren't experiencing it, others became frustrated and they insisted that they were and they tried their best to get to these people to see it so that they would also be irritated with their tablets.

I am getting my S8+ tomorow and I am already irritated. Better not have a red screen else I will be seeing red not just on the 'Infinity Display'. You know, the actual Screen, the main marketing concept they lure us in with? Here's the new Phone, it had an amazing display. Amazing until you turn it on, that is.

anon(632186)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a slight "off color" on the edges as well. Not really red, just slightly off. This is on att. It is soooo small but I'm sooooo ocd lol. Really don't want to exchange as I'm sure it is probably just how the display is. My wife said she could barely notice it. Ugh. Phone is amazing otherwise.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I turned the red setting all the way down and its still red along the edges. If I hold it at the right angle you can see it all over the screen too.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
So, the red I saw in the photos in the other forum was a solid pink throughout the entire display. I did not have it, until I turned on the blue light filter. Then the whole screen was pinkish. Turned off the blue light filter, it went away.

Thompsontriplets

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I could be the reflection.. or this post has me seeing red.. but i do notice a tint of red.
with that being said.. one person stated it could be the reflection of the curved screen.
when i took a screen shot and looked at it on my computer I didn't see it. Can anyone confirm this?
Here is my screenshot.
Screenshot_20170420-230954.jpg

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
So, mine has a red tint out of the box. I went into the color balance settings and adjusted the red all the way down. I still see somewhat of a red tint but it's no where near as bad as it was when I first turned it on. Here are some comparison photos I took against my LG V20. Both screens are at max brightness.

Before:
OQmB10S.jpg

After:
PLfu4P6.jpg

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I turned the red setting all the way down and its still red along the edges. If I hold it at the right angle you can see it all over the screen too.

Yeah same here if I change the angle more of the screen turns red. The color seems to change a lot more when looking at it from various angles compared to the LG v20 and the note 7

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
When I set up my S8+ I adjusted the red all the way down and forgot about it. If I slide the red all the way to the right my entire screen is way too pink for my taste. When its all the way to the left and the blue and green are all the way to the right it looks fine. Samsung definitely screwed up the default color of the screen.

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Weird for me... AOD has a pinkish tint; everything else is fine. And yes I have AOD set to white. You can only change the clock tint. But both the clock, notifications and date etc. are pink. I can't take a screenshot of the AOD. Other than that love the phone. The home key takes some getting used to.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The software update might just be a bandaid from some of the things I've read, and it won't help the people with uneven tint. Chaulk it up to 'new'.... It's a new display panel tech, and that comes with risks. Even though it might affect a small percentage of users, with the amount of phones Samsung will sell, a small percentage could still turn out to be a LOT of phones. And its something Samsung should, and will, resolve properly.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your display is reddish, get it swapped out. Whatever it is, I am sure Samsung will be working to address this on newer units, and in a month or so, this will be done with. It's just a bit of an embarrassment more than anything else.. After the Note 7 dumpster fire, any little misstep gets amplified.