09-14-2017 08:53 PM
118 12345
tools
    I kind of see the Pixel over-saturating the pic. I see more variations of color in the top pic. The bottom one does look more vivbrant/vivid but most likely due to over saturation.

Which picture was closest to the real thing is what I want to know?
    Actually the S8 one. Also it was really windy so I'm surprised that I was actually able to capture the Poppy flowers.
    GrooveRite and xsikal like this.
    04-24-2017 03:22 PM
    Actually the S8 one. Also it was really windy so I'm surprised that I was actually able to capture the Poppy flowers.
    So I was right, lol! and yes, more detail in the S8.
    04-24-2017 03:26 PM
    This matches my opinion exactly.
    I still grab my wife's iPhone 7 plus to get nice Portrait Mode shots of the kids etc. I think the 7 plus cameras can turn normally average shots into really nice ones
    The iPhone 7 Plus portrait mode leaves a small outline of distortion on all pics. It's a wonderful camera but if you want Bokeh get a DSLR and a Prime lens. That's not a negative but it's my observations using the iPhone. I loved my pics from the ocean this winter on Vacation but they lose a lot of detail when cropped. I can't say the S8 is better or worse but it's a great camera as well.
    04-24-2017 03:55 PM
    I've been disappointed in the S8 camera as well. The iPhone 7 plus and the Pixel have killer cameras and software, and unfortunately the S8 just isn't as good. It is very close mind you, but the biggest strength of it's competitors is that you can snap a picture and it will turn out great 99% of the time without fiddling or tweaking settings (which, ironically, the S7s did as well). I feel like Samsung has almost reverted here to the S5 or S6 where you might get great photos 75% of the time, bit that other 25% requires fiddling with settings to get the best pictures.
    04-24-2017 06:02 PM
    I don't agree, at all. Take a look at the camera sample forum. This phone takes stunning shots, out of the box.
    04-24-2017 06:15 PM
    I don't agree, at all. Take a look at the camera sample forum. This phone takes stunning shots, out of the box.
    In a vacuum, yes. But compared to phones like the Pixel it's definitely not the best.
    04-24-2017 06:20 PM
    Well for me the Pixel and S8 Camera are comparable, with the Pixel winning in low light. But the difference is just a matter of preference. But in no way is the S8 camera disappointing imo
    04-24-2017 06:36 PM
    ... It is very close mind you, but the biggest strength of it's competitors is that you can snap a picture and it will turn out great 99% of the time without fiddling or tweaking settings (which, ironically, the S7s did as well). I feel like Samsung has almost reverted here to the S5 or S6 where you might get great photos 75% of the time, bit that other 25% requires fiddling with settings to get the best pictures.
    I've not had a chance to play with the camera a lot, by my initial impression is the S8 might be more sensitive to subject motion or camera shake than the S7 in indoor shots. I noticed that in taking some pictures of my daughter in pictures where she was standing still generally came out better than pictures from my S7. Pictures where she was moving seemed a bit less consistent.
    04-24-2017 06:47 PM
    I've not had a chance to play with the camera a lot, by my initial impression is the S8 might be more sensitive to subject motion or camera shake than the S7 in indoor shots. I noticed that in taking some pictures of my daughter in pictures where she was standing still generally came out better than pictures from my S7. Pictures where she was moving seemed a bit less consistent.
    It definitely is, and very noticeably so. Either the OIS or the image processing just isn't as good as the S7.
    04-24-2017 06:53 PM
    I think that the camera is good but I agree that it's not mind blowing.
    The camera was the deciding factor, nail in the coffin, last straw (insert metaphor here)....

i don't think there is any way to say this WITHOUT it sounding bad, so here goes... the ONLY thing that "blew my mind" about the S8 Plus was its price, which is WHY i returned it.

Camera was good but NOT great, battery life was good but not GREAT, new O/S was good but not great, speaker quality was good but not GREAT, ...you get the point....

Sadly, I was very disappointed, for almost 900 bucks i expected so much more, and for the 72 hours i owned it every time i picked it up to do ANYTHING, i just couldn't help but feel its, "pinch to my pocketbook"... ouch!

I am certain i will enjoy ALL of its features THAT MUCH MORE when i can pick one up for about half its current price.

Its weird how much an "up front" cost can affect your overall view of something. If i were on "Jump On Demand and just "switched to this phone" without feeling ANY additional out of pocket costs, i'm sure i'd of been like, "sweeeeet"! But since that was not the case, there is no way i could have forgiven such an expensive device delivering almost the same experience a 400 - 500 dollar phone can....

And its NOT solely about "saving the Benjamins" either, becuz i just installed a $2000.00 power step in my truck when an N-Fab would have totally done the trick for a third of the price, but i TOTALLY feel the value of the power step EVERY TIME i open my truck door... The S8+, not so much...i don't see where they come off charging that much for their phone. Their expenses shouldn't be the consumer's problem, and in this case i feel it is....

Had they charged $499 for S8 and $599 for S8 Plus, they would've wreaked havoc in the cell phone industry, AND i think they could have easily made same profit by selling millions upon millions more, but at the price point they have chosen, i just don't see the S8 & S8+ deserving of a Hail Mary pass....

BTC
    experiment 626 likes this.
    04-24-2017 07:00 PM
    The camera was the deciding factor, nail in the coffin, last straw (insert metaphor here)....

i don't think there is any way to say this WITHOUT it sounding bad, so here goes... the ONLY thing that "blew my mind" about the S8 Plus was its price, which is WHY i returned it.

Camera was good but NOT great, battery life was good but not GREAT, new O/S was good but not great, speaker quality was good but not GREAT, ...you get the point....

Sadly, I was very disappointed, for almost 900 bucks i expected so much more, and for the 72 hours i owned it every time i picked it up to do ANYTHING, i just couldn't help but feel its, "pinch to my pocketbook"... ouch!

I am certain i will enjoy ALL of its features THAT MUCH MORE when i can pick one up for about half its current price.

Its weird how much an "up front" cost can affect your overall view of something. If i were on "Jump On Demand and just "switched to this phone" without feeling ANY additional out of pocket costs, i'm sure i'd of been like, "sweeeeet"! But since that was not the case, there is no way i could have forgiven such an expensive device delivering almost the same experience a 400 - 500 dollar phone can....

And its NOT solely about "saving the Benjamins" either, becuz i just installed a $2000.00 power step in my truck when an N-Fab would have totally done the trick for a third of the price, but i TOTALLY feel the value of the power step EVERY TIME i open my truck door... The S8+, not so much...i don't see where they come off charging that much for their phone. Their expenses shouldn't be the consumer's problem, and in this case i feel it is....

Had they charged $499 for S8 and $599 for S8 Plus, they would've wreaked havoc in the cell phone industry, AND i think they could have easily made same profit by selling millions upon millions more, but at the price point they have chosen, i just don't see the S8 & S8+ deserving of a Hail Mary pass....

BTC
    They can charge as much as consumers are willing to pay, bottom line.

But look, there is no way ANY phone is going to please everyone. Most folks are very happy. The ones that aren't, find a phone that works for you.

Weren't you the one that hated the Note 7, and said that it was going to bring Samsung's mobile division down? Why in the world would you get another Samsung phone that's so similar?
    xsikal likes this.
    04-24-2017 07:09 PM
    I compared some pics to S7 and the S8 was better but then if I take random shots with various lighting conditions I'm not that impressed
    04-24-2017 07:15 PM
    Not sure what to make of this thread... I've seen a bunch of YouTube reviews of the camera from a bunch of reviewers (some being iPhone fan reviewers, some who have previously constantly praised the Pixel, and some general tech reviewers), and in all of them, the reviews where a toss up where some of the three phones were marginally (very marginally) better than the other depending on the type of shot. Overall the reviews didn't agree on which is better between the S8, Pixel and 7 Plus.
    One thing that was consistent however was that the S8 had better low light performance than the other two, and you could see that this was due to the S8's processing increasing brightness in very dark scenes.
    In the one review that actually went depth into the Pro mode, the S8 did much better than the others due to all the customization options that were missing in some of the other phones, plus the fact that saving the raw file got very true photos that bypassed Samsung's typically oversaturated colours in the processed images.
    I would chalk up the difference of opinion in this thread to different user experiences based on use or maybe human error (focusing point etc...).
    At the end of the day, I think that anyone can get a really good photo from any one of the three phones, depending on the instant the photo was taken. The differences in photos between these flagships have been narrowed so much that it becomes a moot point.
    None of then are DSLR quality obviously, and I think too much weight is being given to those hugely zoomed crops looking at a tree leaf 150 feet away and critiquing how blurry it is or isn't.
    durandetto likes this.
    04-24-2017 07:25 PM
    For a camera on a phone, it's pretty darn good. I use my Sony A6000 if I want great pictures but in a pinch, this will do.
    04-24-2017 07:53 PM
    ...Weren't you the one that hated the Note 7, and said that it was going to bring Samsung's mobile division down? Why in the world would you get another Samsung phone that's so similar?
    Hi ThrottleJohnny!

My "like/dislike relationship with Sammy is complicated, but i don't think i've EVER uttered the word "hate" in connection with a Samsung device.... that word just isn't in my vocabulary.

I am not certain if you are quoting a prediction i made, but i do recall stating Samsung Experience counters would be closing and many have, not happy about that, but i easily could see it. To me, their devices circa 2014 and before are what made them become such a force to be reckoned with in the mobile industry, and then suddenly i saw them changing in a HUGE way. I just didn't think the world needed another Apple like company, ESPECIALLY when Google was already vying for 2nd place.

To me, the path they took when they tried to top their success of the S3 is to blame. I'm not a fan of "plastic-y white phones, but surely they could design a phone as feature rich as the S3, beautiful metal form & sound quality of the HTC One, and price of the One Plus... If ANYONE could, they could....They just didn't try hard enough....

BTC
    04-24-2017 07:54 PM
    Maybe I'm just not a professional photographer, but I think this phone takes really good pictures. Way better than my v20.
    xsikal and experiment 626 like this.
    04-24-2017 08:03 PM
    For a camera on a phone, it's pretty darn good. I use my Sony A6000 if I want great pictures but in a pinch, this will do.
    I agree with that
    04-24-2017 08:05 PM
    Maybe I'm just not a professional photographer, but I think this phone takes really good pictures. Way better than my v20.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ab52824ddf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...de7805c437.jpg
    I didn't like the V20
    04-24-2017 08:06 PM
    My "like/dislike relationship with Sammy is complicated, but i don't think i've EVER uttered the word "hate" in connection with a Samsung device.... that word just isn't in my vocabulary.

I am not certain if you are quoting a prediction i made, but i do recall stating Samsung Experience counters would be closing and many have, not happy about that, but i easily could see it. To me, their devices circa 2014 and before are what made them become such a force to be reckoned with in the mobile industry, and then suddenly i saw them changing in a HUGE way. I just didn't think the world needed another Apple like company, ESPECIALLY when Google was already vying for 2nd place.

To me, the path they took when they tried to top their success of the S3 is to blame. I'm not a fan of "plastic-y white phones, but surely they could design a phone as feature rich as the S3, beautiful metal form & sound quality of the HTC One, and price of the One Plus... If ANYONE could, they could....They just didn't try hard enough....

BTC
    Thanks for explaining. I better understand where you're coming from now.
    04-24-2017 08:19 PM
    Hmm, I was thinking the comments here on the camera sound a little more negative than the reviews I've seen so far from the YouTubers but after thinking about it, it's pretty close to what I've seen in videos.

Most of the YouTubers are comparing the S8 cameras to the current best-of-the-best, the iPhone 7 Plus and Pixel cameras, and in all the videos none of the cameras were clear runaways from the rest... they pretty much go between 1-2-3 between them with each having strengths. They rank the S8 a top three camera... closer to top 1-2 IMO

I guess the posts here the posts put it more between 2-3.

It is a bit disheartening I guess cause for $800-900, you'd expect a 2017 flagship to clearly beat 2016 spec camera especially when you know both models have yet to refresh and probably will up their camera game too this year.

But it shouldn't be a huge surprise either. It been said often it's pretty much a 2016 spec camera... "2016 1/2" camera with the slightly newer sensor and sw update... and have to remember it wasnt suppose to be that camera. The dual camera that was suppose to go in but didnt because of the FPS.

It sounds like a top 3 camera. It is what it is.

Reviewers love the LG G6 and love the dual camera but none hinted it was a top 3 camera... or 4... or maybe 5 which was disheartening to me cause I really like the phone but camera quality ranks pretty high for me.
    04-24-2017 08:24 PM
    Hey BTC, I pretty much understand your view on it and I pretty much agree for a $900 phone... Just wondering what phone you are falling back on in the meantime and what you're going to wait for coming up.

04-24-2017 08:28 PM
    The camera is good, but not mind blowing. It uses the same sensors as the S7, which had a very good camera. Sammy focuses on ultra fast and clear pictures. If you want better color, you should use the manual mode settings.
    No this isn't the same sensor as the s7, it's already been proven it's an updated sensor.
    jamezr and Mr_Spencer like this.
    04-24-2017 08:29 PM

Most of the YouTubers are comparing the S8 cameras to the current best-of-the-best, the iPhone 7 Plus and Pixel cameras, and in all the videos none of the cameras were clear runaways from the rest... they pretty much go between 1-2-3 between them with each having strengths. They rank the S8 a top three camera... closer to top 1-2 IMO

I guess the posts here the posts put it more between 2-3.

It is a bit disheartening I guess cause for $800-900, you'd expect a 2017 flagship to clearly beat 2016 spec camera especially when you know both models have yet to refresh and probably will up their camera game too this year.
    I wouldn't be so disheartened. I've never used a Pixel, so I can't compare, My wife has an iphone 7 which I've used a fair amount and I can definitely say the results on my S8 are generally better than the results on her iphone 7.

Something else to consider when comparing the Pixel or iphone (2016 tech) to the new S8 is that those cameras have been out and have had a software updates that have improved camera quality. For example, when the Pixel first came out, its camera had some issues with things like color and lens flare that have been fixed with software updates.

My initial impression of the S8 is that there may be some software improvements they can make in image processing, like in the new multi-frame processing in the S8. Samsung (like others) tends to not have things all finalized at launch that are tweaked after an update or two.
    04-24-2017 09:23 PM
    I wouldn't be so disheartened. I've never used a Pixel, so I can't compare, My wife has an iphone 7 which I've used a fair amount and I can definitely say the results on my S8 are generally better than the results on her iphone 7.

Something else to consider when comparing the Pixel or iphone (2016 tech) to the new S8 is that those cameras have been out and have had a software updates that have improved camera quality. For example, when the Pixel first came out, its camera had some issues with things like color and lens flare that have been fixed with software updates.

My initial impression of the S8 is that there may be some software improvements they can make in image processing, like in the new multi-frame processing in the S8. Samsung (like others) tends to not have things all finalized at launch that are tweaked after an update or two.
    That's encouraging thanks!
    04-24-2017 09:31 PM
    You can download Spirt Mode, which will give you the option of a faster shutter speed for an object that's not standing still. Sometimes good for windy conditions too.
    04-25-2017 05:30 AM
118 12345