MKBHD Camera Comparison

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I was between C and E. Damn, the Pixel takes some really good pics! I'll never buy a device without an SD card slot though....absolutely never!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
C/D, C/D, C, B/C, D/E, C/E

Which comes out to be the Pixel and iPhone consistently liked.
Consistently the One Plus did not impress compared to rest.

Few notes...
Backpack pic he emphasized the black in the backpack so all compared, C/D had the deeper black.
Tesla pic he emphasized the car is grey. C/D or D/C and think G6 did ok. S8 punched up the color and made the car blue and punched up the yellow line.
Low light Groot pic I think the S8 was the best.
Steering wheel pic... Last two C and surprisingly E for the sharpness and color and little details like the clarity of the stalk controls labels.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hope nothing wrong with posting screenshots to make points. If so then please delete and no offense to MKBHD.
Capturea.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture7.JPG

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Lot of factors involved but for many I think color makes a huge difference... if you like the cooler, punched up, oversaturated look or if you like the warmer and more real to life colors.

What is interesting to me is how much it varies for the people in this thread.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I definitely agree on that. I do think the One Plus was the weakest. I really was surprised how much I thought the G6 held it's own from all the criticism I've been reading especially the last two pics... the negative feedback kinda brung me down on the G6 but I wouldn't have any problem owning one... think it's better than One Plus camera ;)... and the test here didn't even show the possibilities on the wide angle lens.

Summary: They are all pretty darn good for phone cameras. :)

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine went: Pixel, S8, iPhone, G6 and then OnePlus. In many of them I thought the G6 and OP3T were awful and I would never use that camera but a couple of them they looked good. The steering wheel picture with the flag in the mirror was the most telling for me and I picked the Pixel XL slightly over the S8. It was very close, but the Pixel was the winner for me and I tend to agree it has the best camera overall. I was actually shocked at how little I chose the iPhone over the S8 seeing as I thought the iPhone 7 Plus was the best overall camera. The Pixel to me seemed to have the most accurate colors and sharpness/contrast. I thought the S8 overprocessed a couple but it still looks darn good.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine went back and forth between the Pixel and 7 Plus mostly. 7 Plus and S8 on a couple. Overall I'd say the Pixel edges out the win though.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I finally watched the video and I had C as the overall winner, with D being by far in 2nd place. And this goes to a very important point - which is C is actually the best hardware/software, but D is NOT the second best, unless the S8 is worse than the S7 Edge - because the S7 Edge is better than the iPhone 7+. It's a pretty slight difference, but this is an established fact.

I absolutely hated when he started off by saying objective measurements don't matter and personal preference is all that matters. No. Well, yes, as far as which one you should buy. But no, the best camera, is not the one you like the most - it is the one that most accurately captures the scene. There is an objective best, second best, and so on ... and that matters for ranking them. After that, which one you want to buy has to do with a whole lot of other factors, since we're buying much more than just a camera.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Ultimately none of this matters. I don't see anyone getting rid of their existing phone to get another based on the camera alone (especially now when the quality is so close). Love the phone you have and use it to the fullest. When it's time to upgrade, do so based on your own needs and not because someone else thinks it's the best.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Once again, this shows how good all these cameras are, that it takes nitpicking and personal eye to pick a winner.

The best camera is the one you're happy with.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I finally watched the video and I had C as the overall winner, with D being by far in 2nd place. And this goes to a very important point - which is C is actually the best hardware/software, but D is NOT the second best, unless the S8 is worse than the S7 Edge - because the S7 Edge is better than the iPhone 7+. It's a pretty slight difference, but this is an established fact.

I absolutely hated when he started off by saying objective measurements don't matter and personal preference is all that matters. No. Well, yes, as far as which one you should buy. But no, the best camera, is not the one you like the most - it is the one that most accurately captures the scene. There is an objective best, second best, and so on ... and that matters for ranking them. After that, which one you want to buy has to do with a whole lot of other factors, since we're buying much more than just a camera.

Okay, I'll bite here ... If you're truly taking objective measurements into account, then there's no way you can make the iPhone a distant second to the Pixel. Second, yes... but a "distant" ..?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Ultimately none of this matters. I don't see anyone getting rid of their existing phone to get another based on the camera alone (especially now when the quality is so close). Love the phone you have and use it to the fullest. When it's time to upgrade, do so based on your own needs and not because someone else thinks it's the best.

Respectfully disagree. Camera/Picture quality matters a LOT to a lot of consumers and plays a deep part in the buying decision for them. I think reviews like these help that segment immensely if they are brand agnostic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez