Dbrand skin

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Finally got my Black Dragon skin for the back of this beauty. It feels a little sharp around the edges to me despite using the blow dryer like they say to. Am I expecting too much or is that normal?

Attachments

• 1501.jpg
    1501.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 146

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the skin and phone. The skins on my Nexus 6 (carbon) and 6P (leather) don't have sharp edges. 5x metal skin has some sharp edges.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
That looks awesome. How is it in terms of grip? I was going to get it but I got another one and since they last pretty long (for me) A new skin would just be sitting there. Anyway, the glass and the frame flow seamlessly together and because there is no lip, you are going to feel the edges a little. Just think of it this way, as thin as a piece of paper is, when placed on an even surface, you will feel the elevation of the paper if you were to run your finger across.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
The sharp edge is not normal. You are supposed to take the provided cleaning cloth and rub it along the edge as if you were trying to sand it down.Do this with a fast back and forth motion. you do this on all sides and bottom and top. this shaves the sharp edge down creating a seamless feel in the hand.

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
That looks awesome. How is it in terms of grip? I was going to get it but I got another one and since they last pretty long (for me) A new skin would just be sitting there. Anyway, the glass and the frame flow seamlessly together and because there is no lip, you are going to feel the edges a little. Just think of it this way, as thin as a piece of paper is, when placed on an even surface, you will feel the elevation of the paper if you were to run your finger across.

Very true, good point. I've rubbed the micro fiber over the edges a bunch of times and it's still a little sharp. I guess as long as it doesn't come off, I can deal with it. Definitely not as "grippy" as a case but makes a huge difference. My fingers slid easily along the back before the skin. With this on, the texture is enough to make me feel comfortable holding it.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I've been hoping someone would post in regards to the dbrand new Black Dragon skin. :)

I'm in the U.K so having it shipped to me.

I've viewed the official video on applying it and yes it does suggest to rub each edge 15 times I believe.

Have you affixed the back piece only....... or the front top and bottom pieces too ?

I specifically ask because I've ordered the full kit including Camera piece but I'm only really wanting to affix the back and camera piece.

I'm hoping for some grip as this time round I'm not really wanting to use a case.

Good to read in your post that it does add grip @cocob89

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been hoping someone would post in regards to the dbrand new Black Dragon skin. :)

I'm in the U.K so having it shipped to me.

I've viewed the official video on applying it and yes it does suggest to rub each edge 15 times I believe.

Have you affixed the back piece only....... or the front top and bottom pieces too ?

I specifically ask because I've ordered the full kit including Camera piece but I'm only really wanting to affix the back and camera piece.

I'm hoping for some grip as this time round I'm not really wanting to use a case.

Good to read in your post that it does add grip @cocob89

Just the back. I didn't want to botch the front install haha. I'm hoping this is a long term solution for the phone however mine didn't come with any pieces for the sides. Not sure if they don't make them or if they were available with the whole kit

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

No when I say full kit I should have been more specific. Sorry.

Back.
Camera
Front top.
Front bottom.

I assume the dbrand skin meets where the glass ends on the s8 ? @cocob89

Could you upload pictures of the sides and top and bottom edges of it's not too much ?

Just wanting to see how it looks all around. :)

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Just got the back piece. I like the camera being uncovered and I didn't want to be bothered with trying to put the front pieces on. Pictures are bad because the only device near me with a camera at the moment was my iPad haha. And don't mind the scuff looking mark on the top of my phone. Pulled the Qualcomm sticker off and it left residue -__-

Attachments

• 1528.jpg
    1528.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 80

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

No when I say full kit I should have been more specific. Sorry.

Back.
Camera
Front top.
Front bottom.

I assume the dbrand skin meets where the glass ends on the s8 ? @cocob89

Could you upload pictures of the sides and top and bottom edges of it's not too much ?

Just wanting to see how it looks all around. :)

Pretty much sits flush against the frame of the phone. Going to use the hair dryer one last time today just to make sure but overall I'm satisfied. With that being said, I do still have a very cheap tpu case on standby for "heavy duty" days. I'm planning on going to an amusement park in a few days and I am NOT relying on just Dbrand for that haha. The skin gives just enough texture to hold it but after using it most of the day yesterday, I'm not going to such a crowded place without a case.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
How did you get yours so fast I ordered it last Monday night the day it released and won't arrive till tomorrow a week later...(Black Dragon S8+).?

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
How did you get yours so fast I ordered it last Monday night the day it released and won't arrive till tomorrow a week later...(Black Dragon S8+).?

Haha I was wondering the same. I live in California so I'm not sure if region plays a role in shipping times

netwerx1

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
In California, mine came today. I ordered the Black Dragon, as well as a few others so I could compare "grippyness". The matte black was easily the grippiest. It's kinda like that soft touch finish, but less rubbery. The black dragon was next grippiest, followed by leather finish, black titanium, and lastly, carbon fiber (which was slipperier than the glass of the phone). So I have the black matte in use on my S+ currently, if I need to change it, I'll go to the dragon.

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
In California, mine came today. I ordered the Black Dragon, as well as a few others so I could compare "grippyness". The matte black was easily the grippiest. It's kinda like that soft touch finish, but less rubbery. The black dragon was next grippiest, followed by leather finish, black titanium, and lastly, carbon fiber (which was slipperier than the glass of the phone). So I have the black matte in use on my S+ currently, if I need to change it, I'll go to the dragon.

Thanks for that! It came down to the matte and dragon for me, chose the dragon. Might order the matte to use if this one gets messed up

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I am in Florida and mine came in yesterday, I have the Black Titanium on it right now, but will probably put it on this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress