Galaxy S8+ on Xfinity Mobile

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I had that issue. I backed all my data up to Samsung cloud (which is awesome and blocked when I was with Verizon) and reset my phone to factory. Then set it back up and it worked.

Wow, didn't know Verizon blocked Samsung cloud. What could possibly be their business incentive for that!?

So, do you know what the ballpark price is going to be for unlimited data with Xfinity? I've read that it's $65/month for unlimited data, or $45 if you already have Xfinity home Internet, but that info was released a month ago. Do you happen to know at what point they begin de-prioritizing your data?

I guess it's a tough call. With T-Mobile I'm getting 2 lines of unlimited for $100/month, and since I got T-Mobile ONE during the promotional period they aren't throttling my video streams. Since I have Xfinity cable and Internet, I could get cell service for $90/month. But that would require a further dependence on Comcast, which has a penchant for randomly raising rates and such.

Since you're a Comcast employee, I'm certainly curious about your opinion on this!

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow, didn't know Verizon blocked Samsung cloud. What could possibly be their business incentive for that!?

So, do you know what the ballpark price is going to be for unlimited data with Xfinity? I've read that it's $65/month for unlimited data, or $45 if you already have Xfinity home Internet, but that info was released a month ago. Do you happen to know at what point they begin de-prioritizing your data?

I guess it's a tough call. With T-Mobile I'm getting 2 lines of unlimited for $100/month, and since I got T-Mobile ONE during the promotional period they aren't throttling my video streams. Since I have Xfinity cable and Internet, I could get cell service for $90/month. But that would require a further dependence on Comcast, which has a penchant for randomly raising rates and such.

Since you're a Comcast employee, I'm certainly curious about your opinion on this!
I just got an email today saying it was available to all customers now. It will be 45 for unlimited for 24 months, then to 65 dollars for unlimited. In the city, there are so many Xfinity Hotspots. In rural areas you will use your data.
Verizon blocks Samsung cloud so that they can charge you to use theirs.The do little dumb stuff too, like making certain widgets not work. I was with them for 12 years, and their service is great tho.
With Comcast y oh have 30 days to return the phone. You can toggle back and forth whenever you want from unlimited or pay by the gig. If you could do pay by the gig, your Bill could be really cheap. Service is really good cause it's still Verizon.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
You can only use the Xfinity Mobile service with an S8 that they sell you with is a MAJOR negative to the service. You can't bring your own phone. That will keep many of us away.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
You can only use the Xfinity Mobile service with an S8 that they sell you with is a MAJOR negative to the service. You can't bring your own phone. That will keep many of us away.

On another forum, one of the early adopters (was using an employees mobile account) claims that you can use your own device -- though you do have to initially buy one of the Xfinity phones to get the line started. He says that, after activating the line, he's been able to move the SIM card to other phones, and he is now using a Note 6.

Basically, if you have a phone you want to keep using that is compatible with Verizon, he says to buy the X Power, as the cheapest option, and then you can switch to your own phone once you've activated.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I do the same. Still trying to find out more about the security of the Xfinity Hotspots when the phjone is connected to it.
There isn't any. It is an open wifi connection so no security. You have to use a VPN yourself.. unless the phones software turns a VPN on by itself (kind of like project fi).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. You have to buy their phone and have home service or no go.

I'll just stick with actual Verizon. :p.

Mr PicC

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
The service has plans for bring your own phones. It's just not there yet but on the slack channel there has been discussion.
I'm a month into the service on my wife's I device, and about 3 weeks with the S8+. No issues with service at all. I usually keep Xfinity wifi off but it works very well on all my customers modems if I do choose to turn it on.
I do miss my unlimited streaming on T-Mobile but I downloaded most music I need on a 128gb SD card. Regardless no regrets switching.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
On another forum, one of the early adopters (was using an employees mobile account) claims that you can use your own device -- though you do have to initially buy one of the Xfinity phones to get the line started. He says that, after activating the line, he's been able to move the SIM card to other phones, and he is now using a Note 6.

Basically, if you have a phone you want to keep using that is compatible with Verizon, he says to buy the X Power, as the cheapest option, and then you can switch to your own phone once you've activated.

That's not saying much considering the note 6 was never publicly released. Samsung said they skipped there number. Was this some kind of prototype?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
That's not saying much considering the note 6 was never publicly released. Samsung said they skipped there number. Was this some kind of prototype?

Sorry, my fault. He has a Galaxy S6 on one line and a Galaxy S6 Edge on the other. For some reason I recalled him having a Note (perhaps the Note 5) on one of the lines but remembered the 6 correctly from his most recent posts.

scmurphy13

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty happy so far. Good data speeds. Phone has almost no bloatware. It asks you during setup if you want to install some xfinity apps. You can choose not to. Also got a software update right out of the box.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty happy so far. Good data speeds. Phone has almost no bloatware. It asks you during setup if you want to install some xfinity apps. You can choose not to. Also got a software update right out of the box.

Do you have a Verizon phone? I'd be interested, if you do and are willing, to see if you can get the Xfinity service to fully work in a non-Xfinity phone.

Keith Sewell

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
it's a great phone i be had mine since June but it seems to mot work great on my xfinity internet service when I'm home and xfinity hasn't either activated video calling feature yet does any of you all's video calling work

J Roll

Jul 29, 2017
Visit site
I signed up for Xfinitymobile June 21 and got the Samsung S8+. Unfortunately, I have not had a smooth activation since they shipped my phone without a SIM card. After a series of other problems initiated by the absence of a SIM card, my phone has been "deactivated" since July 17, and since it has been greater than 30 days now, they will not accept the phone in return. There is no known fix date, and "tier 3" is working on the problem but not communicating with me. I was a Verizon customer before, so my question is: Does anyone know if the Xfinitymobile Samsung S8+ is "unlocked", will it function properly with a Verizon account. I called Verizon to ask, and the lady said basically "maybe, maybe not". She was not a technical person, and I was wondering if anyone with a stronger background and knowledge can shed some light on the subject.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I signed up for Xfinitymobile June 21 and got the Samsung S8+. Unfortunately, I have not had a smooth activation since they shipped my phone without a SIM card. After a series of other problems initiated by the absence of a SIM card, my phone has been "deactivated" since July 17, and since it has been greater than 30 days now, they will not accept the phone in return. There is no known fix date, and "tier 3" is working on the problem but not communicating with me. I was a Verizon customer before, so my question is: Does anyone know if the Xfinitymobile Samsung S8+ is "unlocked", will it function properly with a Verizon account. I called Verizon to ask, and the lady said basically "maybe, maybe not". She was not a technical person, and I was wondering if anyone with a stronger background and knowledge can shed some light on the subject.

From what others have stated, the S8 is the unlocked version of the phone and should work on any of the other US carriers. It appears that all the Android phones, at least currently, are the unlocked version, and the iPhones are actually locked to XM (or possibly to Verizon). I've also heard that XM will unlock the iPhones on request, with the caveat that the customer service rep you talk to knows what he is doing and has the knowledge to get the phone unlocked.

J Roll

Jul 29, 2017
Visit site
From what others have stated, the S8 is the unlocked version of the phone and should work on any of the other US carriers. It appears that all the Android phones, at least currently, are the unlocked version, and the iPhones are actually locked to XM (or possibly to Verizon). I've also heard that XM will unlock the iPhones on request, with the caveat that the customer service rep you talk to knows what he is doing and has the knowledge to get the phone unlocked.

I think my S8+ is locked, because when I spoke with a "supervisor" for support at XM, he said that the phone could be unlocked. I requested the unlock code, and he said he would send me the codes with instructions by email, but the email has yet to appear. When I put the IMEI number of my phone, and my wife's phone into the Verizon web page under "Bring your own phone", neither phone was reported as compatible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress