Chrome vs samsung internet

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the S7 so the latest version isn't compatible with my phone (like I said in my post ;) ). The latest version I'm seeing is the one updated in April 2016.

The version of Samsung Internet on my S7 Edge (AT&T) is from December 2016, but I agree with your general point of Samsung not putting the latest software on older devices.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I am trying it, however my chrome bookmarks have not moved over yet. They are in the Chrome extension and I logged in to my Samsung account. but they don't show up in the browser on my phone.

Ok there we go, just took a bit to update :)

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Installed the latest Dolphin browser yesterday. Yep, I'll keep it and not use the other browsers. So much easier to use than Chrome based browsers, which all the others are. Tabs are easier to deal with an selectively clearing data is much better.

Stuarttt

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I switched everything on my phone to the Samsung browser but it don't look like I can cast videos from the Samsung browser to chromecast. Is there a way to do this. That might be a deal-breaker for me if I can't.

You can use the Google Home app and cast your entire phone screen. It's not as fluid or easy as casting through Chrome but it still works

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the S7 so the latest version isn't compatible with my phone (like I said in my post ;) ). The latest version I'm seeing is the one updated in April 2016.
Go into the Galaxy Apps store not the Google Play store, there is a current compatible version there that you can downloadツ

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Go into the Galaxy Apps store not the Google Play store, there is a current compatible version there that you can downloadツ

Oh you're right! The version on the Play Store is 4.0.10-53 and the version installed is 5.0.30-68! Thanks for the tip. It's still not the latest one but I see there's a beta version for the S7 so they're working on it! :D

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh you're right! The version on the Play Store is 4.0.10-53 and the version installed is 5.0.30-68! Thanks for the tip. It's still not the latest one but I see there's a beta version for the S7 so they're working on it! :D
The latest version for Samsung Internet varies by region. The Galaxy Apps store version is the latest available for your particular region. Then of course, as you mentioned, there is also the beta if you want the absolutely latest versionツ

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Been using Samsung Internet (and now, beta) since the S7 got Android 7. Continue to use it on the S8 now as well, and I like it.

I see no compelling reason to go back to Chrome on my phone.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Do people really like the way Samsung Inet does tabs?

Instead of Chrome's easy swipe from the address bar to switch them (and keep a consistent order to the tabs).

That's the main reason I use chrome.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You can use the Google Home app and cast your entire phone screen. It's not as fluid or easy as casting through Chrome but it still works

Yeah, I know. It's definitely not as fluid. It is so much nicer to be able to send just the video. Quicker, no lag, and better picture. I'm not a fan of how tabs are used on Samsung browser. I haven't noticed much difference in speed with chrome either.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Been using Samsung Internet (and now, beta) since the S7 got Android 7. Continue to use it on the S8 now as well, and I like it.

I see no compelling reason to go back to Chrome on my phone.
I have always been so used to using Chrome on my phones of course as well. I obviously use Chrome on my laptop, but using Samsung broswer now i love the themeing of the browser, I personally love the way it does quick bookmarks in the URL bar, and i do like the way it does tabbing. For me, I have disabled Chrome, and I enjoy using samsung internet for everything. Again, aesthetically, that black bar in the navigation button area in Chrome got soo annoying, and the fact that the Samsung browser Does Not have that feature is nice! Especially with a eafutlly fully saturated fully AMOLED screen like what we've got on our S8's!

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I have always uses the Samsung Internet app. Never had any issues with it. I never liked Chrome in a any platform so I usually stick with whatever Internet app is available. Like Samsung Internet app for my phone and Safari for my MacBook Pro.

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I have played with Chrome and Samsung Internet and like using Samsung Internet. It seems fast and I like the biometrics on websites, disappearing menu bar at the button, the built-in reader view and dictionary. I also like the little Saturn icon.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
For those that want the autocomplete of URL's to transfer over...remember that you had to go through that with Chrome at first too. The only reason the autocomplete can autocomplete is because at one point you typed in the URL yourself. :)

Keith Molloy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Wow iam shocked to see so many recommend the samsung browser! Admittedly i haven't really given it a chance but chrome def looks a lot better imo and speed wise its more then fast enough so for me its chrome :) but after reading this thread i might go back and give samsung a chance

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Tried it, not having it. The Chrome extension on PC to sync the bookmarks doesn't sync it very often which means that 24 hours later I didn't have one of my latest bookmarks and had to go to Chrome to get it. So I'll stick with it.