Camera low light shutter speed - workaround?

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Is there way to (root) set the SLOWEST shutter speed for the S8 camera? When taking pictures in low light the camera 'laggs' because it uses a slow shutter speed to get more light into the camera. I don't want my phone to do that so is there a way around?

• I know you can change the shutter speed in pro mode for the rear camera
  • Wide angled selfie camera HAS NO LAGG (have no idea why)

There might be third party apps that don't do it but I would like to use snapchat with a faster shutter speed in low light.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Therein lies the problem. You need a certain amount of light to get the picture. That can be achieved by either more light (bigger aperture (hole)), or longer exposure time (shutter speed).
Since the aperture isn't adjustable, that leaves us with just the shutter speed..

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Therein lies the problem. You need a certain amount of light to get the picture. That can be achieved by either more light (bigger aperture (hole)), or longer exposure time (shutter speed).
Since the aperture isn't adjustable, that leaves us with just the shutter speed..

Since the iPhone's don't have this problem, how do they do it? I suppose they up the ISO?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there way to (root) set the SLOWEST shutter speed for the S8 camera? When taking pictures in low light the camera 'laggs' because it uses a slow shutter speed to get more light into the camera. I don't want my phone to do that so is there a way around?

• I know you can change the shutter speed in pro mode for the rear camera
  • Wide angled selfie camera HAS NO LAGG (have no idea why)

There might be third party apps that don't do it but I would like to use snapchat with a faster shutter speed in low light.
Wide angle is probably set to faster shutter so it can more reliably stich it together. In low light it uses a longer shutter because it needs the light to properly expose the image. You want it to be fast shutter but same image? Not going to happen. To get same exposure with faster shutter something else needs to change. Smartphones have a fixed aperture so that's out. That leaves simply bumping up the ISO. Probably by a lot. And on smartphone sensors that means a big loss in quality. Perhaps on iPhones it's selfie camera is willing to do that. I'm guessing the S8 is set for better image quality retention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non