Could my charger damage my battery?

A

AC Question

I recently got an S8+ and was wondering if my old charger might cause damage to my phone?

I have a Syncwire 4 port charger and whilst it's not old, I read something about charging technology progressing significantly, so I didn't want to run the risk of forcing too many (or too few) amps/volts into my new phone.

Can anybody offer any advice?

Jenny

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Is there a reason you don't want to use the charger that came with the phone? Otherwise, sorry, no info on the Syncwire directly, but you should compare specs on it with the OEM you received and see if they're compatible. I personally don't use 3rd party cable chargers but do on wireless. As the battery is not replaceable I tend to be overly careful.

JennyGalaxy

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Is there a reason you don't want to use the charger that came with the phone? Otherwise, sorry, no info on the Syncwire directly, but you should compare specs on it with the OEM you received and see if they're compatible. I personally don't use 3rd party cable chargers but do on wireless. As the battery is not replaceable I tend to be overly careful.

It's not that I don't want to use the original charger, I just have one at work and one at home.

Is it as cut and dry as comparing the amps/volts? I know my Syncwire isn't Quickcharge 3.0 if that matters?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's not that I don't want to use the original charger, I just have one at work and one at home.

Is it as cut and dry as comparing the amps/volts? I know my Syncwire isn't Quickcharge 3.0 if that matters?

Welcome to the forum! Pretty much on the amps/volts, but some chargers are smarter than others and will make sure they don't overcharge/overheat the battery. Fast charging obviously doesn't matter if you don't want to use it, but I don't think that one will work with the S8s. Samsung appears to have done something to limit fast charging to newer chargers. I use wireless charging almost exclusively.

JennyGalaxy

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! Pretty much on the amps/volts, but some chargers are smarter than others and will make sure they don't overcharge/overheat the battery. Fast charging obviously doesn't matter if you don't want to use it, but I don't think that one will work with the S8s. Samsung appears to have done something to limit fast charging to newer chargers. I use wireless charging almost exclusively.

Thanks! :)

Is wireless charging all more or less the same technology? Other than the fast chargers having two coils (I think I'm right in saying that.) So there's no detrimental effect of using a cheaper wireless charger other than speed?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You're correct on the technology AFAIK.

None that I am aware of, other than as you say, no fast charging. I use a Spigen stand that does not do fast and it works fine even with my Tough Armor case. It's not the fastest and takes about 3 hours to bring it up from 35 or 40%, but I can live with that. Pleason also seems to be popular in wireless chargers and their prices are good.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
The battery itself will not be harmed by your charger, there is quite a bit of complex charging circuitry between the battery and what ever charging solution you are using. Damage could be caused to the charging circuit if things go out of tolerance ranges. For usb charging it wouldn't take much for a malfunctioning walwart to send volage way out of its spec range to the phone. Depending on the tolerance of the phones circuit to ward off bad voltages (it will refuse charging the battery but the circuit is still faced with accepting the high voltage) and for how long before heat build up destroys things.

Wireless charging is a bit safer, unsafe currents would burn out the charging stations coils before it would be able to burn out the phones coils. The coils are thin and as soon as a part of it is burned through the circuit is broken. The unfortunate thing is wireless charging brings an additional heat source to the phone that is constant, adding to the heat the battery will generate from charging. Because high speed charging is a delicate balance between adaptive power controls and heat monitoring, wireless charging will always be at a disadvantage over wired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress