Verizon vs Samsung unlocked

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I see one can buy a S8 from Samsung direct for about $100 cheaper than from Verizon.

In this case how does one get OS updates?

I see the Forbes reviewer has stopped using the S8 after 60 days due to software problems.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin...t-my-review-got-wrong-and-right/#66931d15fe51

How is the software on the S8?

Working fine so far. If you have Bestbuy in your area they have a "Get $200 gift card" when you buy an S8 via an installment plan and have unlimited data.

Order the Samsung Galaxy S8 & Galaxy S8+ - Best Buy

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I see one can buy a S8 from Samsung direct for about $100 cheaper than from Verizon.

In this case how does one get OS updates?

I see the Forbes reviewer has stopped using the S8 after 60 days due to software problems.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin...t-my-review-got-wrong-and-right/#66931d15fe51

How is the software on the S8?
I have only had the S8+ for about 15 days so I can't say he's wrong or didn't experience those issues, but I can say that my S8+ is every bit as fast as it was out of the box. No lag at all, any time, period. Has not happened. I'd tell you if it did. I'm not dedicated to any manufacturer or even one OS. I will be using this phone for at least the next 6 months, longer if it goes well, so we will see how it ages. I typically don't have the issues that many people complain about in reviews and forums though, but we will see.

slingshot202

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Ive been using an S8 for over a month now and I don't see any lag. My S5 was a nightmare on a busy day at work.

Still ignoring Bixby, don't use Iris or fingerprint. Good old swipe code works for me ..

Love this phone more than my iPhone 6S.

Still miss the old Apple Notifications but I'm adapting.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Ive been using an S8 for over a month now and I don't see any lag. My S5 was a nightmare on a busy day at work.

Still ignoring Bixby, don't use Iris or fingerprint. Good old swipe code works for me ..

Love this phone more than my iPhone 6S.

Still miss the old Apple Notifications but I'm adapting.
I'm just curious. What do you miss about Apple notifications? For me, I much prefer the way Android does notifications. They are grouped together and I can take a number of actions on the notifications without even opening the app.

We all have different preferences though so what what do you miss from the iPhone notifications?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm just curious. What do you miss about Apple notifications? For me, I much prefer the way Android does notifications. They are grouped together and I can take a number of actions on the notifications without even opening the app.

We all have different preferences though so what what do you miss from the iPhone notifications?

I am in the same boat. I prefer seeing what app is calling for my attention at the to left with ease. I hate how Apple makes you go into a whole separate area to view the notifications to see if you want to even work with any of them.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, OP, I've had the Verizon variant of the S8 and now the unlocked version of the S8. I love the unlocked version of the S8 and got the latest round of updates sooner than the verizon variant. I just love not having the Verizon bloat, fugly 4G logo in notification bar, Verizon boot screen, and now have the device maintenance app, Samsung cloud, the the S8 caller id is awesome! it tells me if a call coming in is suspected spam or if it's a business, it'll display the business name. I definitely recommend getting the unlocked variant, but get it at Best buy if you have one nearby.

Berry me a G

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
just ordered my s8 directly from Samsung... $475 with my S6 trade in and am pretty psyched to not have any verizon bloat or boot screen!..plus 2 day shipping. Seems like a damn good deal to me and everything ive read so far has indicated that updates are coming faster than past unlocked phones.

slingshot202

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Wow unlocked sounds nice. I,had to install a separate phone tracker in case of past phone because Vz blocked the Samsung one. How stupid is that.

Antonius66

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Man I have spent a ton of time looking around and can't seem to find all definitive answers. For those who have used the Samsung unlocked version on Verizon (not the Verizon unlocked one), can they confirm or deny the following?

- WiFi Calling does NOT work on VZ with the unlocked version

- VoLTE and HD calling DO work on VZ

- Any app based WiFi calling would still work

- Video calling DOES/DOES not work?

- Voicemail still gives you notifications/works like normal?

Looking to grab one, but want to be sure I know what will and won't work on VZ.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Man I have spent a ton of time looking around and can't seem to find all definitive answers. For those who have used the Samsung unlocked version on Verizon (not the Verizon unlocked one), can they confirm or deny the following?

- WiFi Calling does NOT work on VZ with the unlocked version

- VoLTE and HD calling DO work on VZ

- Any app based WiFi calling would still work

- Video calling DOES/DOES not work?

- Voicemail still gives you notifications/works like normal?

Looking to grab one, but want to be sure I know what will and won't work on VZ.

This is dated, but can answer SOME of your questions.

Should You Get the Galaxy S8 Unlocked? Pros and Cons

The phone should be fully functional with WiFi calling and everything. The only difference is the lack of bloat ware. Also, according to the article, you MAY not get updates as often as you like.

If you are paying Verizon for its service, you will get the same exact service as if you bought the phone from it. Verizon gains nothing by doing that. In fact, it makes it more difficult to manage if it was blocking certain services to unlocked phones.

Edit: Here is an article about unlocked phones being updated.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/06/12/unlocked-verizon-galaxy-s8-updates/

Antonius66

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I had already read both of those articles actually. The one thing I generally saw when I was trying to research it several times was that WiFi calling does not work with the S8s. That is why I am trying to confirm what does and doesn't, especially with someone who has one on the VZ network.

Antonius66

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Well for those who are curious...from someone who answered my questions on another forum and who is using a US unlocked Samsung S8 on VZ...

- WiFi calling does NOT work

- Visual Voicemail with VZ does NOT work and does NOT notify you, although you can setup a Google Voice number and forward your VM to there with notifications

- Video calling does NOT work

- VoLTE and HD Voice DO work

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Well for those who are curious...from someone who answered my questions on another forum and who is using a US unlocked Samsung S8 on VZ...

- Visual Voicemail with VZ does NOT work and does NOT notify you, although you can setup a Google Voice number and forward your VM to there with notifications

So once again, purchasing an unlocked phone for use with Verizon is like buying a BMW stripped down to operate like an Accord. (Unless it's an iPhone, of course.)

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site

The video calling is really a bummer. It's so much more convenient than using another app.

Does the standard voicemail work? I don't pay an extra for Voicemail now, so I'm not sure if it's the same.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok. I found this.

AT&T also does not allow WiFi calling on non-branded phones.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/samsung-s8-unlocked-phone-wifi-calling-t3622318

As for Visual Voice Mail. It is a paid service on Verizon so you have to have it as one of the options in your plan. I believe it costs $2.99/month. You also would need to install the Verizon's Visual Voice Mail app.

Video calling SHOULD work. It's built into the default phone dialer app on the device. As long as you have LTE connectivity you should be good on that.

I don't get voice mail notifications on my Verizon branded S8+. I will have to see why.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
generalcaleb