Samsung Galaxy S8+ serious video issue?

anon(1070578)

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Tested two S8+ and the issue is the same.... It's a lot more noticeable when panning left and right with the blue sky and trees or other objects in front. Not sure what to do now.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Tested two S8+ and the issue is the same.... It's a lot more noticeable when panning left and right with the blue sky and trees or other objects in front. Not sure what to do now.

Thats pretty much what I found also. Im not sure much can be done since it seems to be caused by the way the camera adjusts the iso and shutter speed on the fly. On mine it was going from 250 to 4000 iso rapidly and thats when it was most noticeable.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The macro blocking in the video is interesting. I just duplicated your tests on my Verizon S8+. As you back down the resolution, things get better. I think this may actually be more of a compression issue. The S8 and S8+ are capable of playing H.265 video, but not recording in it. The format for all those recording sizes is H.264. Looking at the subtle gradients of blue in the sky as you move the camera around doesn't encode well. The video playback has a tough time until it hits the next i-frame where things shore up and the macro blocking gets substantially reduced. You have to remember, this isn't a RED camera that is writing out massive video files with virtually no compression. I would be curious to see Exynos vs Snapdragon footage to see if the video compression behaves differently.

1jkent

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
It's interesting that more and more people are turning up the same issue when they match the settings to what I have. I would initially tend to blame it on just being a phone, too, but my S6 shot beautiful 4k with no such issue, and I've seen 4k iPhone footage that looks perfect, too. There is clearly something wrong with the way the phone handles motion, "blocking" pixels, or compressing when it shouldn't... or something. That's a good question about whether it may be the processor...?

Samsung is asking me to return the phone for repair, so I am going to let them try to fix it. I will definitely keep everyone here posted on what we find out. If they are successful at "fixing" whatever is wrong with it, I'll let you know, and hopefully they can do the same for you. But I suspect that the issue is in the software, and that no amount of "tinkering" will fix it without some sort of software update (my phone's software is up to date, BTW).

I did read one official review of the phone this past week that mentioned the issue with the video:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s8,review-4287.html It's down near the bottom of the review, and the video clip embedded on the page includes footage that shows the stutter they describe and what looks suspiciously like what we are experiencing.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is asking me to return the phone for repair, so I am going to let them try to fix it. I will definitely keep everyone here posted on what we find out.
Good luck! My prediction is that they will return it (or perhaps a scratched-up refurb substitute) and say it's fixed, and there will be no difference in its behavior. I hope I'm wrong, but they seem to be satisfied whenever a phone passes their standard tests. So if there's a widespread problem that their (woefully inadequate) tests fail to detect in the first place, they just automatically declare victory.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I was sitting outside when I first read this and tried to duplicate it. I don't have this problem.
You haven't said explicitly whether you tried abruptly panning from green trees to bright sky, which is the specific circumstance in which OP and several others of us in this thread have encountered the problem. If you have tried that, could you be so kind as to post your video so we can compare it to OP's?

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
You haven't said explicitly whether you tried abruptly panning from green trees to bright sky, which is the specific circumstance in which OP and several others of us in this thread have encountered the problem. If you have tried that, could you be so kind as to post your video so we can compare it to OP's?

What is the definition of duplicate? That's the answer you seek.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Good luck! My prediction is that they will return it (or perhaps a scratched-up refurb substitute) and say it's fixed, and there will be no difference in its behavior. I hope I'm wrong, but they seem to be satisfied whenever a phone passes their standard tests. So if there's a widespread problem that their (woefully inadequate) tests fail to detect in the first place, they just automatically declare victory.
I agree. I hope OP sends sample videos to explain the issue. The average user is using factory settings (1080p) to video their kids or pets running around the house. They love their little darlings and don't notice anything wrong. Then there are those who simply don't notice the pixelation or don't pan the sky. Perhaps others have a phone working faster due to fewer apps running in the background and actually get a good video. Who knows. Bottom line is I don't believe Sammy will fix it. Either buy a G6 or keep returning phones until you get a good one.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Stop trying to start some huge conspiracy about how there is some major problem with the camera in these phones. I do not have this issue and by duplicate I mean yes I did exactly what he did and it does not happen on my device. you got a bum devices get it replaced. those things happen when there are over 10 million that have been sold. you will get a bad device every so often. it's happened to me. I didnt go in a forum and try and convince every person who can't duplicate it, that it's actually there.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Stop trying to start some huge conspiracy about how there is some major problem with the camera in these phones. I do not have this issue and by duplicate I mean yes I did exactly what he did and it does not happen on my device. you got a bum devices get it replaced. those things happen when there are over 10 million that have been sold. you will get a bad device every so often. it's happened to me. I didnt go in a forum and try and convince every person who can't duplicate it, that it's actually there.
Where do get that someone is creating a massive conspiracy? The guy posted he had an issue and asked if anyone else does. Some of us were able to duplicate it.

If you don't have the issue, fantastic. Coming here saying "stop trying to create a massive issue" over and over when you are the only one saying anyone is creating a massive issue is pointless. If you don't have the issue, excellent. Some people do and didn't know it was there.

Should nobody ask for help on an issue if you don't have It? Is that how this forum works?

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Can you post the video? Would be good to see. Not sure why you are getting all bent out of shape though. I didn't see anyone say anything about a conspiracy.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Forgot to reply directly to the post I was quoted saying I couldnt duplicate. person was asking if I did all the same things which is what duplicate means. apparently for some people in here it's hard to believe not everyone has this problem.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Forgot to reply directly to the post I was quoted saying I couldnt duplicate. person was asking if I did all the same things which is what duplicate means. apparently for some people in here it's hard to believe not everyone has this problem.
Nobody has said they think everyone has the issue. Again, you are the ONLY person pushing that narrative. You're bent out of shape about something only YOU have said.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
except the one guy that keeps asking are you sure you did everything like the op and the answer is yes and nothing is wrong with my phone.

B Hoste

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I did three videos with the same settings as the OP under the same conditions. I did have the same out come as the OP of I was moving the phone quickly (as if I was filming a plane or a kite). If I moved slower I did not get the same results as the OP and when I did not move the phone at all I did not see the pixelation at all. I also noticed some pixelation when going from a dark object, like the trees to a light object, like the sky.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
except the one guy that keeps asking are you sure you did everything like the op and the answer is yes and nothing is wrong with my phone.
Except for you, everyone here who reports having tried the rapid trees-to-bright-sky pan says they encountered the macro-block problem. Again, it would be helpful if you could post your video for comparison.

redlinecoatings

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if this has been asked before but OP, what resolution is your screen set on? My old Nexus 6P and oneplus phones can shoot video in 4k, but look terrible when played back because it is not a 4k screen. If your screen isn't set to the same quality which out of the box it isn't, then that would cause issues I would think.