T-Mobile Galaxy S8 Default Notification Sound Behavior

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile S8+ ...

My Default Notification sound ("beep once") keeps going off, seems like every couple of minutes, but there's no new notification. I keep getting the beep, pull down the notification shade, and there's nothing there (??)

I've searched through notification settings and can't figure it out - why I keep getting the sound but no new actual notification.

Thanks in advance

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you recently format the phone or have connected it to a BT device that is now 'forgotten' on your phone? Incoming BT connection requests from previously paired devices are a very common cause for these 'phantom' notifications.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Did you recently format the phone or have connected it to a BT device that is now 'forgotten' on your phone? Incoming BT connection requests from previously paired devices are a very common cause for these 'phantom' notifications.

Nope, hasn't been connected to any BT device as of yet - phone is brand new. I guess I'm just going to have to keep an eye on it and watch it. Did several restarts but that didn't make a difference.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Still happening ... both while the screen is on, and while on AOD screen. Phantom alerts sounds. There's gotta be a way to fix this - something is wrong.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Stuck "keys?" Is there Pressure on screen, On edge? Apps placed on edge maybe?

Is it in a case? Take it out. If not, try using a case.

One feature I love is you can set notification of apps to Silent. Miss that from my iOS days.

(This is only my 2nd day with S8+ and still finding options to customize).

I did have trouble with apps moved into SecureFolder..

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I might be on to something here, but maybe not. Could it be Google Assistant Reminders? I recall having several reminders sitting in my notification shade when this is happening. Not sure how Google Assistant Reminders are programmed to work, but maybe they persistently alert you until you acknowledge the reminder in some way? And if that's the case, is there a way to change that behavior in Google settings .... ?

Problem seems to come and go at this point, but it definitely doesn't seem normal to get alert sounds with no actual notification or anything happening. That sounds like a bug.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so you do have notifications in the notification area? Have you checked that the notification reminder setting isn't on (this would cause your phone to alert you again and again periodically when you have unread notifications)?

If the reminders are the ones causing it, you should be able to see your reminders in the Google app.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so you do have notifications in the notification area? Have you checked that the notification reminder setting isn't on (this would cause your phone to alert you again and again periodically when you have unread notifications)?

If the reminders are the ones causing it, you should be able to see your reminders in the Google app.

I think you nailed it. I DID have Notification Reminder turned on and set at 1-minute intervals. I don't know why I turned this on. I wonder if it was turned on by default out of the box ... ?

Anyway, thank you!! I'm sure this is the culprit - I cant imagine it being anything else.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

It is nice to know, however, that you CAN turn that on if you ever DO want a repeating reminder for something.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hope that worked! If I'm not mistaken, you can also fine-tune which notifications you want to be reminded of, so not all apps will do it if you don't want to. (I think you can in the Note 8, don't see why it would be different on the S8 Line).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez