Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
There is a lot of hard work, as bad or worse than moving Windows to 64-bit drivers. And yet, once that is done, it will isolate the carrier layer from the system kernel - they would undertake the extra work burden without a significant improvement

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

XDA:
https://www.xda-developers.com/project-treble-custom-rom-development/

Project Treble is only supported on new devices that ship with Android, rather than devices that get upgraded to Oreo.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/androi...-makers-to-support-oreos-rollback-protection/
Project Treble is mandatory for all phones shipping with Oreo. But that doesn't mean phones updating to Oreo can't have it enabled. Essentials phone, Mate 9 already have it enabled in their betas.

More phone links here:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/26/phones-updated-support-project-treble-continuously-updated/

Google had announced earlier that it's working with certain manufacturers to enable it for devices being updated to Oreo. At that time it was a wide speculation that Samsung might be one of them, especially since Samsung is one of the largest Android device manufacturers. Plus enabling it would've definitely helped with keeping the UI and under the hood OS/kernel updates separate.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
From your article link:
"popular phones that have received an update to Android 8.0 Oreo, but currently lack Treble support:"

Samsung Galaxy 8's (S8/+)

I liken it to the transition to EFI/UEFI - EFI 1.0 came out in 2005 and was 32-bit along with other features. UEFI 2.0 was 2008 but wasn't fully UEFI 2.1 compliant but was 64-bit finally.

The device tree that Treble uses is I always thought baked into the core boot ROM and likely cannot be altered. Just like rolling back to pre-8.0.0 won't be allowed.

So you can run 8.0, and not have Project Treble. But what that "means" is beyond me
Funnily enough I sold my Mate 9 to get the S8+, looks like I should have hung onto it now to play with!

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
From your article link:
"popular phones that have received an update to Android 8.0 Oreo, but currently lack Treble support:"

Samsung Galaxy 8's (S8/+)

I liken it to the transition to EFI/UEFI - EFI 1.0 came out in 2005 and was 32-bit along with other features. UEFI 2.0 was 2008 but wasn't fully UEFI 2.1 compliant but was 64-bit finally.

The device tree that Treble uses is I always thought baked into the core boot ROM and likely cannot be altered. Just like rolling back to pre-8.0.0 won't be allowed.

So you can run 8.0, and not have Project Treble. But what that "means" is beyond me
Funnily enough I sold my Mate 9 to get the S8+, looks like I should have hung onto it now to play with!
High level i think it has something to do with OS partition which is hard to implement. And then there's always a risk of something going wrong with the update which will require a full flash. Again I'm not that familiar with the specifics.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't look like they plan to update the S8 series to Treble. I would have assumed they would have started integrating it already. It *might* require a reflash to accomplish, due to the partitioning involved, but I don't know that for certain.

Here's some more info. Samsung isn't listed as a vendor that intends to support it on upgraded devices. It's not mandatory for upgrades to Oreo, but is mandatory on devices shipping with Oreo.

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-project-treble-revolutionizes-custom-roms-android-oreo/

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Anyone, just erased everything (again) and setup as new. What a difference. Had few bugs with it updating from clean b3.

Can't rule out 3rd party. Likely suspects:

Adguard.com side loaded
Malwarebytes
ESET
Netguard (firewall)

Can never rule out this stepping over each other.

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
And for the first time since the last beta install I had the buzzing in my ear after picking up a call, and then when I tried to restart the phone, it went off and wouldn't turn on for a few minutes.

Strange to say the least.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
And for the first time since the last beta install I had the buzzing in my ear after picking up a call, and then when I tried to restart the phone, it went off and wouldn't turn on for a few minutes.

Strange to say the least.

Did you send an error report with log files via Members App? Sorry that happened.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Got a notice to do a survey from Members App. Seems they're trying to refine the UI a bit. Major bugs must be declining if they're addressing the look/execution of the Samsung apps.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Just updating mine now to the latest Beta release here in the UK

Couldn't help myself running Beta on my S8+; I've lost Android Pay, but Samsung Pay works faultlessly :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non