How to disable screen unlock with anything but the side button?

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
It seems I can swipe at the bottom area and it unlocks, how do I disable it?

It seems that I've accidentally unlocked it several times when putting it in the pocket, by swiping something.

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you swiping on screen or accidentally unlocking by having your finger on the fingerprint sensor as you put it in your pocket?

I thought without some kind of 3rd party app, the only way swiping on screen would unlock is if you *first* press power button and then swiped on screen. But if you are sure you are not accidentally pressing power button, only other thought I had was you are accidentally long pressing on the virtual home button. There is a setting that to have screen turn on with this:

Settings -> Display -> Navigation Bar - see if "Unlock with home button" is turned on or off. Maybe turning off would help

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Weird. Are you using Nova or some other 3rd party launcher, which may invoke a double-tap to wake up the screen?

Alternatively, do you have "easy screen turn on" set to ON in Settings -> Accessibility -> Dexterity and Interaction? That allows screen wakeup with a hand wave over proximity sensor, but this is normally turned off so you probably would have remembered if you changed it to on.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes, using Nova launcher.

I cannot find a setting that enables it to unlock the screen by swiping. Yet that's precisely what it does.

I don't know if it's the default setting in the phone or some setting in Nova or what.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Alternatively, do you have "easy screen turn on" set to ON in Settings -> Accessibility -> Dexterity and Interaction? That allows screen wakeup with a hand wave over proximity sensor, but this is normally turned off so you probably would have remembered if you changed it to on.

The answer is no.

Dano1200r

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
Go to Settings, go to Lock screen and security, select Screen lock type, click something other than 'swipe to unlock' , set up new security type.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a password as the unlock type but it takes 5 minutes to engage the auto-lock.

if within that 5 minutes I swipe the invisible home button, it unlocks, which it frequently does. How do i disable that?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Proximity sensor would unlock if enabled on your body.

It's called Smart Lock, but, it should be called Smart Unlock.

CephalonNick

Oct 2, 2018
Visit site
You can disable this by going into Settings -> Navigation bar -> Hard Press Home Button disable this setting. It seems that if this is enabled it overrides the "unlock with home button" even if you have the "unlock with home button" disabled. I was getting super annoyed with my phone continually being unlocked and finally figured it out. Hope this helps you!

zak454545

Jun 14, 2021
Visit site
You can disable this by going into Settings -> Navigation bar -> Hard Press Home Button disable this setting. It seems that if this is enabled it overrides the "unlock with home button" even if you have the "unlock with home button" disabled. I was getting super annoyed with my phone continually being unlocked and finally figured it out. Hope this helps you!

I found the culprit for me: (using Android OS 11, Samsung Galaxy A40)

Settings -> Advanced features -> Motions and gestures
TURN OFF 'Double tap to turn screen on'. (On by default!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

This has been bugging me for ages and thinking it had to do with lock screen or side button/unlock features. I was ready to give up Android OS. This would cause my phone screen to activate while in hand holding it and also in my pocket, it would dial numbers but not call; change my background to this 'dynamic background' thing and i would have to set it back each time; it would also drain my battery for no reason since screen keeps turning on in your pocket the whole day; as well as activate my camera (drain battery) or my music player and play music all of a sudden (depending on how you setup your lock screen icons).

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I have been having similar problems but only with a particular pair of trousers (go figure). I now use the Lockdown Mode from Android P app with a widget for it on my home screen to tap when I want to lock the phone immediately.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tommasoberlose.lockdown&hl=en_GB&gl=US

I find that turn off the Lift to Wake option also helps as it seems to activate when sitting down / standing up as it thinks the phone is being lifted. And finally I think part of my problems is also caused by the way I hold the phone with my thumb on the screen when I slide it into my pocket - I now try to hold by the edges only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45