Can't add fields to contacts in Samsung S8

Snakeau

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I've been trawling the various fora looking for a way to add fields to my contacts in my S8. Many talk about hitting the pencil icon or the + button. Unfortunately, neither appears on my edit screen in my contacts.

Obviously, I'm missing something here (you must note that, when I was born, there were only 4 computers on the entire planet).

Thank you in anticipation :)

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
When you go to a contact to edit it you should see view more with an arrow that you can click on. More fields will show.
cb44a21d60386340479d58a1efd609ff.jpg
7b904ec798f5a4ba78a6dac1a3340649.jpg

Snakeau

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the screenshot you sent bears no resemblance to what Iget when I hit 'edit contact'. Here's a screenshot of what I get.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171225-095848.jpg
    Screenshot_20171225-095848.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 40

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the screenshot you sent bears no resemblance to what Iget when I hit 'edit contact'. Here's a screenshot of what I get.

My edit screen looks exactly like sweetiepie's. Mine is 950U1. Your screen looks unfamiliar. What version S8 do you have?

Snakeau

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for that. On the box near the serial number etc. it says 'SM-G950FD'. Hope this helps and thanks for caring over the holiday season:)

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that. On the box near the serial number etc. it says 'SM-G950FD'. Hope this helps and thanks for caring over the holiday season:)

That's the international version. Though I did not think the layout would be different. Hmm... Sorry I'm stumped.

Last edited:

chawbie123

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the same model as you, ie the international one but the contacts field is exactly as posted in the earlier response. Don't know where yours is coming from and I couldn't replicate it.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Where did you purchase it from? Is it new or used? If used, could it be running some kind of custom ROM? Are you using the Samsung Contacts app that is pre-installed on the phone?

Snakeau

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for that. I bought it on eBay. It is new but I think it is a Hong Kong version (although it came with an Australian guarantee and the requisite adaptors).

Snakeau

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I would think the Samsung UI would be the same regardless of the phone version.

Yeah... You'd think so, wouldn't you?:( I wouldn't be surprised if it's a setting somewhere. I might try to track down a local expert (if there is one).

Thanks everyone for trying to help. I think it's a case of the Pauli Effect (look it up on wiki);). I've got it in spades:p.

Snakeau

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Pay Dirt!!!

On a hunch, I decided to see if storing the contacts on the phone body rather than the sim would make any difference. Guess what! When I store them on the phone body I get the full range of edit options. Obviously, there isn't enough room on the sim to store anything but the basic info. Duh! Should have thought of that from the off.

Yet another senior moment.

Thanks again and sorry to put you all to that trouble. Have a great New Year. :)

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Pay Dirt!!!

On a hunch, I decided to see if storing the contacts on the phone body rather than the sim would make any difference. Guess what! When I store them on the phone body I get the full range of edit options. Obviously, there isn't enough room on the sim to store anything but the basic info. Duh! Should have thought of that from the off.

Yet another senior moment.

Thanks again and sorry to put you all to that trouble. Have a great New Year. :)
Glad you figured it out. I was stumped. Lol

Reactions: bklabel1

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah... You'd think so, wouldn't you?:( I wouldn't be surprised if it's a setting somewhere. I might try to track down a local expert (if there is one).

Thanks everyone for trying to help. I think it's a case of the Pauli Effect (look it up on wiki);). I've got it in spades:p.

I actually looked it up... LOL! Thanks for starting my morning with a smile. Also glad you got it to work.
BTW... There were only 2 computers on the planet when I was born, so I can relate. :)

Snakeau

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
BTW... There were only 2 computers on the planet when I was born, so I can relate. :)

Good grief!!! Was one of them Babbage's Difference Engine:D? I was born in '53.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Pay Dirt!!!

On a hunch, I decided to see if storing the contacts on the phone body rather than the sim would make any difference. Guess what! When I store them on the phone body I get the full range of edit options.
What that means, though, is that your contacts aren't getting backed up. Enter them as Google contacts (the pulldown at the top - which is only available when you're entering a new contact). If you already have a lot of contacts, go into Airplane mode, export your contacts (menu from the long list of contacts), delete all your contacts, then import the file you exported to (same menu), but choose your Google contact to import them to. (Then turn off Airplane mode and allow the phone to sync with the server.) That way, they get backed up to the Google server. (So if you lose your phone, or if something drives over it when you drop it, at least you still have your contacts.) You can get to the contact list at Google Contacts. That also gives you the ability to remove duplicates, restore deleted contacts, etc.

Snakeau

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
What that means, though, is that your contacts aren't getting backed up. Enter them as Google contacts (the pulldown at the top - which is only available when you're entering a new contact). If you already have a lot of contacts, go into Airplane mode, export your contacts (menu from the long list of contacts), delete all your contacts, then import the file you exported to (same menu), but choose your Google contact to import them to. (Then turn off Airplane mode and allow the phone to sync with the server.) That way, they get backed up to the Google server. (So if you lose your phone, or if something drives over it when you drop it, at least you still have your contacts.) You can get to the contact list at Google Contacts. That also gives you the ability to remove duplicates, restore deleted contacts, etc.

Thanks very much for that. Sensible advice indeed.

I shall see to it.

In the meantime, have a great New Year everyone:)