Are you going to update to the S9 from the S8?

David Martrano

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Quad, I totally agree my s8+ is the best phone I've ever used. The camera, display & battery simply amazing. Viewing video's is very enjoyable. I'm on the fence with the 9+. Although 6gb's, the 845 & stereo speaker's sound great! Maybe!

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I've gone forth and back a few times. the bump does seem incremental but then I saw the processor is actually much faster on benchmarks, but then I think of having something mechanical (aperture) and I think, "nah...just something to break" , then I think of having the best screen "YES" , then I think how I cant really tell the difference on my s8 from the WQHD+ and FHD+, then I think of that stereo speaker, and a likely improved processor-battery efficiency....so yeah...very much on the fence.
I recall I was in the same process with my s7e v s8 until I made the Terrible Mistake of going to BestBuy and holding the S8.
That was the end of the debate.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I've gone forth and back a few times. the bump does seem incremental but then I saw the processor is actually much faster on benchmarks, but then I think of having something mechanical (aperture) and I think, "nah...just something to break" , then I think of having the best screen "YES" , then I think how I cant really tell the difference on my s8 from the WQHD+ and FHD+, then I think of that stereo speaker, and a likely improved processor-battery efficiency....so yeah...very much on the fence.
I recall I was in the same process with my s7e v s8 until I made the Terrible Mistake of going to BestBuy and holding the S8.
That was the end of the debate.
That's funny. At least you can debate yourself. I only need the slightest difference before my mind finds justification and demands I buy the new shiny object lol. It's like....OH 1 MORE MEGAPIXEL FOR THE CAMERA. BUY IT NOW!!! Story of my life lol.

The Darth Don

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
Note8 user here, actually.

And no.

Main reason is this. There's very little in the S9+ that would justify the upgrade, and if history is any indication, the Note9 will be the same.

I am very sure they will be great phones. But we live in an era where new generation phones are about iterative evolution, not revolution. Unless you have JOD or the like, I just can't see why I should upgrade so soon, especially when my Note8 is not even 6 months old and has been performing extremely well to this day, actually, better than I expected.

I couldn't have said it better

Riley600

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
S8+ user - no, I won't be upgrading. My S8+ does everything I need and there's no real compelling features in the S9 to merit the upgrade. Now if they'd just hurry up and push the Oreo update for the S8....

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Nope, I'm so bored with today's phones and the S9 just doesn't add anything special for me. I used to be really into custom roms, rooting, TWRP, Clockwordmod all that stuff and I just haven't even thought about rooting my S8. Phones used to be so much fun.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
S8+ user - no, I won't be upgrading. My S8+ does everything I need and there's no real compelling features in the S9 to merit the upgrade. Now if they'd just hurry up and push the Oreo update for the S8....

Why the hurry if your s8+ does everything you need and there's no real compelling features in Oreo, are there?

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I would normally wait to upgrade, but since I get to pick the latest Galaxy S series annually, it just makes sense to switch out.

Ditto. No reason not to upgrade annually with Galaxy Forever. Plus, I'm pretty excited about the low light pictures.

sgarrand

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I may be in the minority here but I am upgrading to the S9+ from an S8+. The reason I'm doing it is that it completes the S8+ for me. I always felt that the S8+ was just missing a few things. The S9+ adds the things I felt were missing and that's enough of a reason to spend some of my hard earned money on it.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Best low light camera

One thing I have a heck of a time photographing even with the Note 8, is the moon at night. I am interested in seeing how the S9+ performs that way.

starsofthelid

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

One thing I have a heck of a time photographing even with the Note 8, is the moon at night. I am interested in seeing how the S9+ performs that way.

You will probably never be able to photograph the moon well with a camera phone. It's difficult enough with a DSLR and telephoto lens.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

You will probably never be able to photograph the moon well with a camera phone. It's difficult enough with a DSLR and telephoto lens.
This.

But if you do want to try and not have it look like a mini sun, you'll want to use manual mode and increase your shutter speed. In auto mode, it's almost guaranteed to over expose for the moon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699