Note8 vs S9+

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
So watched a few reviews of the S9+. Looks really impressive. love the camera demos...and some of the software changes. I assume most of those software changes will work on the Note8.

So what is everyone thinking...Stick with Note8...or look at the S9+?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
So watched a few reviews of the S9+. Looks really impressive. love the camera demos...and some of the software changes. I assume most of those software changes will work on the Note8.

So what is everyone thinking...Stick with Note8...or look at the S9+?
I do have an interest in the S9+. I'd have to see it in person at Best Buy-should be at our local stores here in the next couple days.

Also though- love my note.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure, the S9 have some, nice features:

Intelligent Scan (not sure how much faster it wil be compared to iris scanner)
Better camera with super slow motion and animoji features
Stereo speakers (Finally!)
Slightly bigger battery
better fingerprint scanner position
better processor: better battery life and faster
brighter screen I think

biggest con is of course it doesn't have the S-Pen, I probably use it twice a month but it's really useful sometimes

size of the phone and screen is almost negligible comparing the s9+ and note 8

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
As long as the note 8 gets os updates ( which Samsung sucks at putting out) we will be fine. The note 8 is an awesome device and pound for pound is one of the best in the world

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I haven't read the exact specs but I am guessing the S9/+ are using the same panels that the Note 8 are this year. Last year the S8 had some wonky red tinted panels. So the quality of the panel should be no difference which would be a factor in not wasting money making the jump.

Updated camera is nice but for me the stereo speakers is a BIG update for me. I hate watching a video away from home... super video quality but poor audio. But for me the S-Pen negates the plus' of stereo speaker and updated camera.

Brightness-wise I think they are both rated around 700 nits even though some reviews have tested around the 800 range? And as for full power brightness outside, the Note claimed about 1200nits.

I think it's worth an update from an S7 Edge or older series phone. But IMO not worth it from an S8 and above.

brighter screen I think

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's another reason NOT to move phones... it took me about 4 months and seems like I finally have all the glitches sorted out and running well. That could all change with a wonky security update (First Samsung and have to say not that confident in the quality of their updates).

Buy a new Samsung and I have a feeling you'll be spending time sorting out first batch glitches too (a la red tint issue on the S8 when first released).

Definitely upgrading, note 8 glitches too much

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Note 8. I like my S-Pen and the functions that come with the Note. The S9+ looks like a great phone and I will look forward to those improvements coming to the Note 9.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a pretty safe bet that I'll be returning to Samsung this year from my current Nexus 6P. I tried "The Stock Experiment" after using an international variant S3 before it, and found that I'm bored by stock Android. Despite its speed (which is starting to slow a bit on the 6P), there's nothing to stock. What cemented it for me was my disappointment with Google, in having the gall to ask consumers to pay $1000+ when all is said and done, for IMHO, the inferior hardware of the Pixel 2 XL as a showcase for their software. No thanks.

The question now is, do I go with the S9+, or the Note 9? I'm leaving out the Note 8 because, as a female, I have smaller hands and hate the placement of the fingerprint sensor. Now, if you're one who has no use for the S Pen, this won't apply to you, but here is my thinking. The way I see it, the release of the S line of phones is like a beta test. Those that buy it are basically getting a template of a device with features on it that are set to be on the next Note as well, along with anything else Samsung decides to add to sweeten the package. When you think about it, it makes sense, given that the Note line is Samsung's premiere flagship. No other company has even dared to bring a comparable device to the table (no, not even the LG Stylo 😂).

So, the "First World Problems" question I ask is, do I go for the S9+ when it undoubtedly drops in price this summer, or do I wait for the Note 9 to be released in August/September? I've never had a Note, so I don't know how important the S Pen would be to me, but if I'm going to spend $1000+ when all is said and done, including applicable taxes, accessories and protection plan, I may as well get the most bang for my buck, no? Whether I need it or not, it is a comfort to know that the S Pen is there, should I need to use it. And I certainly don't take spending $1000+ lightly.

This is definitely a tough call, considering I'm really liking the Lilac Purple and Coral Blue colors, and Samsung made the adjustments they needed to make with the fingerprint sensor placement and the addition of the stereo speakers. I'm hoping that the audio through a good pair of ear buds will at least be comparable to the audio from the LG V30 quad DAC, or HTC BoomSound. I also hope the battery life and standby time is good. Those two things will be the deciding factors for me. One thing's certain, that whichever I go with, I'll be getting an unlocked Exynos variant to use on T-Mobile.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo