Totally Disappointed with battery size. Why?

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes I charge at night and halfway though the day, because if I don't with my s7 edge it won't make it to dinner.
This. I need two or three day spec battery life so I can comfortably actually get 1 full 24 hours on a single charge. I don't think we should need to worry about running out of battery power after work no matter how hard one runs their phone or how optimized we run our phones.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Exactly....a little Quick Charge goes a long way. Probably not a great option for people working on construction sites or outdoors most of the time but if you work in an office battery size isn't as critical.
I don't think these consumer devices - S series - is targeted for such users who work on construction sites for obvious reasons. The Active series is and has much bigger battery than the S series.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
That's why you have the option to wait for the S9 Active, which has a huge battery and is optimized to last longer between charges, whether or not you're personally active.

I agree. The Active series has always been better than the regular S series. Bigger battery, more rugged design, flat displays. Perfect Samsung device, IMO.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't think these consumer devices - S series - is targeted for such users who work on construction sites for obvious reasons. The Active series is and has much bigger battery than the S series.
The target doesn't matter because people buy them and case them. I ride a train loaded with construction workers and not ever do I see one without a case. Most are iPhones quite honestly.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just can't understand why in today's day in age we can't have a battery that lasts 2 Days in a flagship phone pointless.
At least put a bigger battery in new models. Totally unacceptable will not buy the S9 or the S9 Plus.

You don't understand, bigger battery does not automatically mean longer battery life. Battery efficiency is more important and the new CPU uses less power. I had a Galaxy S7 Active with 4000mAh and the battery was underwhelming for its size.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
As Android phones become more efficient the battery size won't really matter. Just as iPhones have had smaller batteries than their Android counterparts that hasn't really affected much due to iOS optimization and it's excellent standby time.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't matter what the battery size is, it will go to crap after just a year.

Actually, it does. The smaller the battery, the faster it depletes. The faster it depletes, the more often you have to recharge it. Thus, a smaller battery will get X recharges while a larger battery will get Y recharge cycles during the same time period like a year.

A battery's life is has a fixed number of cycles on it. The more often you recharge it, the shorter will be its life.

A 10,000 mAh cell will last longer than a 3,000 mAh. If not abused and overheated.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
You don't understand, bigger battery does not automatically mean longer battery life. Battery efficiency is more important and the new CPU uses less power. I had a Galaxy S7 Active with 4000mAh and the battery was underwhelming for its size.

It does. The stock battery lasts from 6AM until afternoon when it dips a bit low, so you have to recharge it if you don't want the device to shut down at 5PM.

A bigger 10,000 battery can go 24 hours without a recharge. The smaller number of recharges is easier on the cell and contributes to longevity.

The number of cycles decreases its life.

That is the nature of the Lithium-Ion chemistry.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Manufacturers keep pushing for thinner (and thus, weaker in my opinion) phones, so don't expect huge batteries. On the flip side, I think if a phone came out with a battery that lasts a week between charges, many of these same people would then complain it doesn't last a full month between charges.

Samsung's flagship offerings have actually trended thicker in recent years.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Currently using a Huawei Mate 9 that comes with a 4000 mAh battery (to be honest totatlly forgot it was that size), and at best, I get about 12 hours worth of charge with my use.

S9+ is only 3500mah.. hoping I will get around the same hours. But doesn't seem so..

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Then you don't want a flagship designed phone, style and thinness are part of the equation.

Besides I don't understand this demand for 2 day battery life. 99.9% of us are surrounded by electricity and sources to charge our phones multiple times a day.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
You are not alone my friend, I would love a nice fat phone with a huge battery.... I don't care how fat, gives my gnarled hands something to grip... 😄

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Again, you're not wrong for wanting a phone with a bigger battery. We all want that too.

But we also have to realize that smartphone makers are making these things to sell. To consumers, something that is sleek and catches the eye is going to be more appealing than a chunky device that lasts more than 3 days on a single charge.

We will get there someday, having a big battery in a sleek device once those battery balls are implemented. But until then, don't expect much change.

It's also kinda funny that I'm saying this because the S9 is 8.5mm thick. It has actually gotten thicker and thicker.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Again, you're not wrong for wanting a phone with a bigger battery. We all want that too.

But we also have to realize that smartphone makers are making these things to sell. To consumers, something that is sleek and catches the eye is going to be more appealing than a chunky device that lasts more than 3 days on a single charge.

We will get there someday, having a big battery in a sleek device once those battery balls are implemented. But until then, don't expect much change.

It's also kinda funny that I'm saying this because the S9 is 8.5mm thick. It has actually gotten thicker and thicker.
Well, the S7 became thicker than the S6 because they enlarged the battery (from 2600mah to 3000mah). But the the S8 to S9 change was because they used thicker glass than the ones used in the S8.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Right. I don’t want to carry a bulky phone even though it gives me an ultimate 2 day battery life.

As long the phone has quick/fast charge and options to modify performance modes (like Samsung does or low power mode like others call it), I can manage to get the most out of the phone!