All US Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ Band Frequencies!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link.

Figures though - only the T and U variants have Band 71. Un-future-proofing.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
-Mobile has started putting up equipment on 600MHz - Band 71. The other carriers are sure to follow before the S9 is too old to use, but the other variants don't have Band 71, so you have to buy the U (unlocked) version or get a new phone when your carrier starts using 71.

We know they're going to be using it, the radio is there in the S9, so why not enable it even if it's not going to be used in a while. Oh, yeah, make us buy a new phone, right. I forgot that profit is job 1.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, this link was posted a couple of days ago in the "T-mobile version network capabilities vs unlocked" thread. No Band 71 for unlocked S9s.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
-Mobile has started putting up equipment on 600MHz - Band 71. The other carriers are sure to follow before the S9 is too old to use, but the other variants don't have Band 71, so you have to buy the U (unlocked) version or get a new phone when your carrier starts using 71.

We know they're going to be using it, the radio is there in the S9, so why not enable it even if it's not going to be used in a while. Oh, yeah, make us buy a new phone, right. I forgot that profit is job 1.

I only know of T-Mobile mainly getting the 600.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone should be good for at least 2 years, maybe 3, even for most people who like to replace their phones periodically. And in some situations, like dense cities and rural areas, 600MHz will give better coverage. Only T-Mobile and US Cellular currently own any space there, but the radios could have been designed to go a bit lower, because there are still TV channels below Band 71 that could move in the future. (And if T-Mobile and Sprint merge, it's going to be the Wild West.)

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Does this mean I'LL get better service indoors? At my work i get 5 bars in the parking lot but a lot of the building is a dead zone once you go inside.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Does this mean I'LL get better service indoors? At my work i get 5 bars in the parking lot but a lot of the building is a dead zone once you go inside.

It depends on where you live since the 600 Mhz Band 71 frequency is more about improved signal in rural areas per the posted link. It doesn't seem like 600 Mhz Band 71 will do too much or anything at all for indoor service...

"Band 71 is about covering rural areas where T-Mobile doesn't have coverage yet"

https://www.pcmag.com/news/356449/t-mobiles-new-600mhz-band-71-what-you-need-to-know

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this link was posted a couple of days ago in the "T-mobile version network capabilities vs unlocked" thread. No Band 71 for unlocked S9s.

There is a link to some FCC documents for the S9 posted in the comments section of this page. I summarized it in the thread you are referring to. It suggests that the unlocked version may have the hardware for Band 71.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty