Losing large battery % overnight (standby)

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Only had my S9+ since Saturday and I know battery often takes time to settle but I'm not impressed so far

My main issue though is overnight, I leave my phone on but in flight mode and aod off and last night it dropped 11%. Going to test again tonight but this seems excessive and no clues in battery stats (either stock or gsam)

Anybody else experiencing this?

Man mine has dropped 25%! Its driving me crazy! Not using AOD and I haven't found anything wrong with any app!

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Only had my S9+ since Saturday and I know battery often takes time to settle but I'm not impressed so far

My main issue though is overnight, I leave my phone on but in flight mode and aod off and last night it dropped 11%. Going to test again tonight but this seems excessive and no clues in battery stats (either stock or gsam)

Anybody else experiencing this?

Erm... My S9+ drops around 5%-8% when i sleep. 11% is a bit too much in airplane mode though. Did you close apps?

karelj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've grown to accept that the standby on my S9+ is awful and I'll just have to deal with it. I sometimes go through periods where the battery loses 2% an hour on standby. Usually, even with Location service disabled, I get 4-6% drain after 8hrs on standby. That may not seem bad but my previous phone - a Lumia 950 - only lost 1-2% after 8 hours and that's with Location enabled.

What really irks me is that I will switch to Airplane mode for long rides in the subway and still lose 1% every hour.

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
I factory reset my phone. first day I had 4% drain overnight. Today I had 25% drain!!!! AOD off, location off, no facebook app, no bixby, no instagram, no chrome, no third part launcher, no games, no google photos.

I basicaly use the samsumg browser, google keep, samsung email, samsung pay, calendar, spotify and my bank app.

I have no ideia about whats is draining my batery over night!

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I factory reset my phone. first day I had 4% drain overnight. Today I had 25% drain!!!! AOD off, location off, no facebook app, no bixby, no instagram, no chrome, no third part launcher, no games, no google photos.

I basicaly use the samsumg browser, google keep, samsung email, samsung pay, calendar, spotify and my bank app.

I have no ideia about whats is draining my batery over night!

erm you might have to bring it to Samsung for repairs or replacement...the only phone which gave me crazy overnight drains was the LG G4.Other than that everything is good.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've grown to accept that the standby on my S9+ is awful and I'll just have to deal with it. I sometimes go through periods where the battery loses 2% an hour on standby. Usually, even with Location service disabled, I get 4-6% drain after 8hrs on standby. That may not seem bad but my previous phone - a Lumia 950 - only lost 1-2% after 8 hours and that's with Location enabled.

What really irks me is that I will switch to Airplane mode for long rides in the subway and still lose 1% every hour.

2% per hour is very good.you cant expect a phone which is ON to not use any battery be it airplane or not airplane mode.

okay lets do math,2% per hour.so 100% gives you around 50 hours of standby time.i get around 36 hours of standby time on average and i dont see a problem.

and correct me if im wrong but isnt Lumia 950 a Windows phone?

krisqz

May 7, 2013
Visit site
From my expierence, uninstall any battery saving or monitoring apps. They can interfere with Doze. My S9 in standby takes about 1-2 % every hour when connected to wifi which is perfectly normal in my book. It's slightly higher on LTE but my coverage is kinda wonky at times and I often don't have a full signal.

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been leaving my S9+ sitting here with light usage every day to see how long I can go on stanby. I have the US unlocked version on T-Mobile. I should get about 6 days standby.

I had the same results last year with a US unlocked S8+.

battery.jpg

karelj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
2% per hour is very good.you cant expect a phone which is ON to not use any battery be it airplane or not airplane mode.

I expect a current gen flagship to use less battery than my previous phone. Especially with the newer chipset and larger battery. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

and correct me if im wrong but isnt Lumia 950 a Windows phone?

It is.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I expect a current gen flagship to use less battery than my previous phone. Especially with the newer chipset and larger battery. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

It is.

erm no android ATM can do what your Lumia 950 do...even my iPhone X cant do that...

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
erm you might have to bring it to Samsung for repairs or replacement...the only phone which gave me crazy overnight drains was the LG G4.Other than that everything is good.

Hey man, as I said, I did a new factory reset. I just lost 3% this time overnight. Still trying to figure out what was draining my battery, since I don't have almost anything installed and disable every bloatware I could. I also removed my SDcard, I read somewhere on XDA Delvelopers that a malfunctioning card can give this issues. Especially if you install the apps or use it for big files storage. This is what I got now, is it normal right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180922-071825_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180922-071825_Settings.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 17

Jrome.brooks

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I had really good batterylife yesterday took the phone off the charger 6 am with moderate to heavy use by 4pm it was 30 percent a few calls and YouTube videos later by 5:10 I was down 10 percent I great to me

But with heavy use calls games movies 5 hours tops

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey man, as I said, I did a new factory reset. I just lost 3% this time overnight. Still trying to figure out what was draining my battery, since I don't have almost anything installed and disable every bloatware I could. I also removed my SDcard, I read somewhere on XDA Delvelopers that a malfunctioning card can give this issues. Especially if you install the apps or use it for big files storage. This is what I got now, is it normal right?

With 3 hours and 49 minutes of SOT and 19% of juice left is not bad. Maybe because of weak signal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty