Pixel 2 Camera

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the Pixel 2 Camera APK to actually work with the S9? I'm curious to see how it stacks up against the S9 camera using the exact same hardware.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
To enter the OP's question... Yes the Google camera will work on the S9 plus I have it installed myself. Is the only reason I am not getting rid of the S9 plus. I will use the S9 Plus Factory camera for some things and I will use the pixel camera for those that require detail.

I'm extremely disappointed there's not a way to disable the fuzzy-looking photos that are stock on the S9 Plus. Why should I have to install a third-party camera app or use manual mode to get detail from the front facing camera?

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I had one on my Note 8, that did the portrait mode perfectly. Found it on XDA, for Snapdragon versions of the Note 8. I restored it to the S9+, but it crashed the phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Here's my personal take.

The app should work on the Snapdragon S9 since it uses the same DSP family as the other recent Snapdragon-powered devices. For the Exynos, it's a bit flaky. It works on my Note8 but ZSL doesn't work, meaning that I have to use the "HDR+ On" mode, meaning longer capture and processing times.

As for the differences in output, you'll mostly see it in color and dynamic range. The HDR+ app will tend to pull out much more detail in shadows and highlights due to its method of processing (instead of bracketing, it takes multiple lower-exposure shots to reduce noise, averages them out and brightens the shadows to compensate) and also tends to bring out colors which can be a bit closer to what we may perceive.

However, Samsung's app works natively with the S9, so you'll get all the benefits and it also has lower noise levels due to MFP. And it's the only way you will get the 960FPS slow-mo feature and the ability to adjust the aperture.

Honestly, a lot of us can argue over which is better, but the bottom line is that regardless of which app you use, you're using a top 5 or even a top 3 phone camera. You will get more-than-acceptable and even great results from either. It's a case of whether you want the lower noise levels and native compatibility of the Samsung app or the extended dynamic range of the HDR+ app.

westiewanderer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
To enter the OP's question... Yes the Google camera will work on the S9 plus I have it installed myself. Is the only reason I am not getting rid of the S9 plus. I will use the S9 Plus Factory camera for some things and I will use the pixel camera for those that require detail.

I'm extremely disappointed there's not a way to disable the fuzzy-looking photos that are stock on the S9 Plus. Why should I have to install a third-party camera app or use manual mode to get detail from the front facing camera?

Did you decide to keep it then? I once again decided to try Samsung, and Tomorrow I receive a Google Pixel 2xl as a replacement. I do not know why, but that software has always bothered me. Damn my mind! I love love love the hardware though! It sure is a sexy beast of a phone!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
A great article that shows photos from both in different scenarios with a slider to switch between the XL 2 and S9+ version of the photo is located here: http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-vs-google-pixel-2-camera-comparison-2018-3
Honestly, I'd be happy with either.

They're among the crème de la crème of smartphone cameras and unless you're that bad or purposely trying to, it's really difficult to get a bad shot out of either.

If I had to choose, probably the S9+ because it's more versatile for me, but if I chose the Pixel, I'd be very happy with it as well

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Did you decide to keep it then? I once again decided to try Samsung, and Tomorrow I receive a Google Pixel 2xl as a replacement. I do not know why, but that software has always bothered me. Damn my mind! I love love love the hardware though! It sure is a sexy beast of a phone!
I'll be honest with you man I don't know what the heck I'm going to do. I'm so frustrated. I have the S9 Plus with a Lifeproof case. Not the kind of covers either the lens ports because the camera is already an issue with the S9 Plus for me. I keep going back and forth. I have I think about 12 more days before I have to return the S9 Plus. I have my pixel 2XL listed on eBay right now so the minute that sells my decision has been made. I have it listed for $680.

In the last few days I finally got the camera situation squared away by using the Google camera on the S9 plus. Then yesterday I was talking with my girlfriend on speaker phone and she told me that it sounds like I was under water or very muffled. Then I called technical support to make them aware of the issue and they told me they could barely hear me so I took it off speaker phone and they can hear me perfectly. Again I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The speakerphone was an issue with the S8 plus and S8 also.

westiewanderer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll be honest with you man I don't know what the heck I'm going to do. I'm so frustrated. I have the S9 Plus with a Lifeproof case. Not the kind of covers either the lens ports because the camera is already an issue with the S9 Plus for me. I keep going back and forth. I have I think about 12 more days before I have to return the S9 Plus. I have my pixel 2XL listed on eBay right now so the minute that sells my decision has been made. I have it listed for $680.

In the last few days I finally got the camera situation squared away by using the Google camera on the S9 plus. Then yesterday I was talking with my girlfriend on speaker phone and she told me that it sounds like I was under water or very muffled. Then I called technical support to make them aware of the issue and they told me they could barely hear me so I took it off speaker phone and they can hear me perfectly. Again I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The speakerphone was an issue with the S8 plus and S8 also.
Eeeeek! The problem is, you spend this much on a phone, you should not have these "ifs"! I had the same speaker issue, and I called Verizon and had them reset my network connection. I also reset it on my end. That seemed to do it. I also had the fingerprint scanner issue, twice now. I am really not sure either. Be careful on your return date, don't let it pass you by lol.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Eeeeek! The problem is, you spend this much on a phone, you should not have these "ifs"! I had the same speaker issue, and I called Verizon and had them reset my network connection. I also reset it on my end. That seemed to do it. I also had the fingerprint scanner issue, twice now. I am really not sure either. Be careful on your return date, don't let it pass you by lol.

Interesting mention of the network connection. I'm with T-Mobile but I'll certainly mention that and with any luck it'll work for me too. Thanks for the info. I've got the return date on lock down. Reminders set and all.

westiewanderer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Interesting mention of the network connection. I'm with T-Mobile but I'll certainly mention that and with any luck it'll work for me too. Thanks for the info. I've got the return date on lock down. Reminders set and all.
Awesome. I had never had to do that, but I had the same underwater thing going on, seems fixed now!