Pixel 2 Camera

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
S9 camera is best

I beg to differ. I own both and my Pixel 2XL takes significantly better photos in detail and color. I really don't know what's going on with this s9+ camera it's been very inconsistent and bad for me . I love everything else about this phone part from the camera which I never thought I'd say about a Samsung phone in 2018.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I beg to differ. I own both and my Pixel 2XL takes significantly better photos in detail and color. I really don't know what's going on with this s9+ camera it's been very inconsistent and bad for me . I love everything else about this phone part from the camera which I never thought I'd say about a Samsung phone in 2018.
I suspect there are some early software issues, and that it's not affecting all S9 phones. I agree the Pixel XL 2 is better. I had one. But it's not that much better if the article I posted earlier is accurate. Granted they don't say how many times it took to get each photo.

http://www.businessinsider.com...xel-2-camera-comparison-2018-3

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I suspect there are some early software issues, and that it's not affecting all S9 phones. I agree the Pixel XL 2 is better. I had one. But it's not that much better if the article I posted earlier is accurate. Granted they don't say how many times it took to get each photo.

http://www.businessinsider.com...xel-2-camera-comparison-2018-3

I'm not sure what's going. Shots that weren't blurry on pixel are on s9+. Pixel has been consistently coming in with better details and colors when I'm doing side by side shots and is handling lighting significantly better

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
To enter the OP's question... Yes the Google camera will work on the S9 plus I have it installed myself. Is the only reason I am not getting rid of the S9 plus. I will use the S9 Plus Factory camera for some things and I will use the pixel camera for those that require detail.

I'm extremely disappointed there's not a way to disable the fuzzy-looking photos that are stock on the S9 Plus. Why should I have to install a third-party camera app or use manual mode to get detail from the front facing camera?

Can you share how/where you got the APK? I know I can probably Google it, but you could save me some time making sure I got an uncompromised APK.

I also read your other thread. If your Pixel 2 XL gave you a 10/10 FFC pic and the S9+ stock camera app gave you a 5/10 (let's say), what rating would you give the S9+ with the Gcam APK?

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is me. I have my Pixel 2 just begging to be used and the camera on it, to me, was worlds better in most circumstances. Even DXO rated the Pixel better in most shots I think the S9 was better in video and low light? I'd have to go back and look. I just think the Pixel was better. Portrait mode on the Pixel was incredible and Live Focus is borderline unusable with a person or living being.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Can you share how/where you got the APK? I know I can probably Google it, but you could save me some time making sure I got an uncompromised APK.

I also read your other thread. If your Pixel 2 XL gave you a 10/10 FFC pic and the S9+ stock camera app gave you a 5/10 (let's say), what rating would you give the S9+ with the Gcam APK?

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/camera/

I would rate the Google camera apk 8.5 honestly. The only reason not higher is that to get a really good shot with the Google apk I find that the camera must be very steady. It does take some very good shots. The portrait mode is a little different. But it is very very close to the Pixel XL 2 when done properly.

Ultimately I'm returning the S9+ tomorrow. I'm bummed but I take so many photos and to fiddle with the the stuff just isn't worth it to me. And the slow mo is Ummm..... Yeah weird.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I haven't been able to find a good one either...

Anyone else ?

Did that prevent it from being installed? I gave the My Files app permission to install from unknown sources and it still wouldn't install. I even tried turning off app scanning.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I would rate the Google camera apk 8.5 honestly. The only reason not higher is that to get a really good shot with the Google apk I find that the camera must be very steady. It does take some very good shots. The portrait mode is a little different. But it is very very close to the Pixel XL 2 when done properly.

Ultimately I'm returning the S9+ tomorrow. I'm bummed but I take so many photos and to fiddle with the the stuff just isn't worth it to me. And the slow mo is Ummm..... Yeah weird.
So did you get your XL2 yet? If so, how happy are you with it? I hope it works out for you. I wasn't happy with mine, primarily because of the screen, but also ironically the regular and quick release of security updates was wonderful but frequently buggy for me. Other basic things that I've gotten used to with my Samsung, like it automatically switching from my BeatsX bluetooth to the car's bluetooth every time I got into my car which didn't happen with the Pixel were less serious, but annoying, and finally I really missed Samsung Pay, which I use as my default form of payment and is accepted at least in the US in 99% of places.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

Erik,

Do you remember the exact version number of Google Cam you were able to install and which settings you had to set to get it to install? I've tried the newest 5 versions dating back to November, along with allowing APK installations from unknown sources for my file explorer (ES File Explorer as well as My Files), and I even turned off app scanning in security. Each one results in "App Not Installed" when it tries to install it.

I also have the S9+.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site

Just to be clear....this does NOT work on the Snapdragon variant, correct?

I would so love to get my hands on a working version of this apk for S9+ with Snapdragon

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear....this does NOT work on the Snapdragon variant, correct?

I would so love to get my hands on a working version of this apk for S9+ with Snapdragon
Well shoot this really sucks. I ended up going back to the S9 plus much against my will. My pixel 2 XL stopped taking a charge even after a factory reset. So I am giving up on you pixel and accepting the fact that the S9 plus front facing camera is just not up to par. With that being said I was looking forward to using the same APK file that worked for me about a week and a half ago. Even with the newest update of April the 10th yesterday it still is not working on my S9 plus. If anyone finds an APK that works please let me know.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I’m likely switching back to a S9+ as my Pixel 2 XL also had charging issues and for no known reason would randomly pick nights it doesn’t want to charge and leave you with a next to dead phone in the morning. I also did a full reset and still does it. Works 80% of the time. IOS just isn’t an option for me, I just can’t get behind the work flow of Apple. And I didn’t like the X and I can’t do the behemoth size of the 8 Plus with a case. So I’ll work with Samsung and enjoy a solid phone.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I’m likely switching back to a S9+ as my Pixel 2 XL also had charging issues and for no known reason would randomly pick nights it doesn’t want to charge and leave you with a next to dead phone in the morning. I also did a full reset and still does it. Works 80% of the time. IOS just isn’t an option for me, I just can’t get behind the work flow of Apple. And I didn’t like the X and I can’t do the behemoth size of the 8 Plus with a case. So I’ll work with Samsung and enjoy a solid phone.
I switched back because I had various random issues after every security update.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I have some frustratingly good news: I tried the APK's linked from these articles and they installed on my S9+ SD variant, but with the mentioned caveats:

Rear-facing camera works, but results are grainy:

https://www.thenerdmag.com/download-google-camera-hdr-portrait-samsung-s8-s8-note-8/

Front-facing camera works, results are great:

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/get-pixel-2s-portrait-mode-your-galaxy-s8-note-8-0181953/

Someone should get those two developers to meet over coffee and co-develop an all-around working Gcam port :)

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I have some frustratingly good news: I tried the APK's linked from these articles and they installed on my S9+ SD variant, but with the mentioned caveats:

Rear-facing camera works, but results are grainy:

https://www.thenerdmag.com/download-google-camera-hdr-portrait-samsung-s8-s8-note-8/

Front-facing camera works, results are great:

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/get-pixel-2s-portrait-mode-your-galaxy-s8-note-8-0181953/

Someone should get those two developers to meet over coffee and co-develop an all-around working Gcam port :)

I'd gladly pay for a modified apk which works on the SD variant rear camera. I am not into selfies, so I would be happy with just the rear taking better photos using HDR+