Samsung S9 - Why does Location keep turning on

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I recently upgraded from a Samsung S7 to a S9, and this issue is peristent on both phones. On the new S9, I have gone through every single app and denied each of them permission from accessing Location. I have also switched off every Location option. However the Location keeps turning on by itself, usually after a phone call. I keep receiving a message which states:

Improve location accuracy?

Help apps find your location more quickly and accurately using Google's Location service. Anonymous location data will be sent to Google when you device is on.

This service is active when Location is on and High accuracy or Battery saving mode is selected.
Disagree or Agree

I have hit Disagree about 10 times since I got the S9, however Location keeps switching on and I keep receiving this message.

Any assistance to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Elliott

PeteCityRise

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for posting this Elliott
Same issue with my S9+
Along with the prompt turns on location automatically :(
Thinking I should've kept my S7 Edge
HELP ANYONE

Kimmy 1969

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a Samsung S7 to a S9, and this issue is peristent on both phones. On the new S9, I have gone through every single app and denied each of them permission from accessing Location. I have also switched off every Location option. However the Location keeps turning on by itself, usually after a phone call. I keep receiving a message which states:

Improve location accuracy?

Help apps find your location more quickly and accurately using Google's Location service. Anonymous location data will be sent to Google when you device is on.

This service is active when Location is on and High accuracy or Battery saving mode is selected.
Disagree or Agree

I have hit Disagree about 10 times since I got the S9, however Location keeps switching on and I keep receiving this message.

Any assistance to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Elliott
I noticed mine when I turn Wi-Fi on at home. Only recently

Kimmy 1969

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site
I just remembered when I set up trusted devices so my phone unlocks when connected to the cars Bluetooth. I also set up trusted location being home. Maybe when I get home and turn Wi-Fi back on maybe it turns location on. That's the only thing I can think of.

Lowellchris

Sep 13, 2018
Visit site
I've just now had this start happening to me on my LG L10X ? I googled it and found it having to do with the latest Google Update , and for Google games . I switched off the location icon a dozen times today already . So just now I switched off all permissions for all Google related apps . Log in to this site and from first keystroke ...boom ? It pops up again with the " agree or disagree with location accuracy " I've shut it all down . And it just did it again ....grr

dacelo

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem.
I should also say that I come to this forum from time to time and all I ever see is questions or problems posted but rarely any definitive answers. Does anyone else find this forum less than helpful?

dacelo

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Having said that there are rarely solutions that I find in this forum -

Does everyone who has this problem have WiFi Calling turned on? I forgot that I made a connection between the two things on my old S7. The S9 though has taken it to a whole new level, turning location on many times a day. On the S7, it would only usually be once when I turned wifi on when I was out of range of a phone network.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have an unlocked S9+ and location services stays at whatever I set it at. I'm using it on T-Mobile.

I also have a AT&T Note 9. Every morning I would notice that Location would turn to high accuracy and I would have it set at battery saving before. I believe I figured out why it was changing to high accuracy. Apps in the play store were set to update automatically and when I would plug it in to charge in the morning, those apps would update and that's when location would charge to high accuracy. If I had location turned off, it would turn on and set itself to high accuracy.

I've turned off auto update for apps and so far it seems to have fixed my problem.

NeTouchPasLaCape

Nov 6, 2018
Visit site
Having said that there are rarely solutions that I find in this forum -

Does everyone who has this problem have WiFi Calling turned on? I forgot that I made a connection between the two things on my old S7. The S9 though has taken it to a whole new level, turning location on many times a day. On the S7, it would only usually be once when I turned wifi on when I was out of range of a phone network.

I had it turned on. Just turned it off, we'll see how it goes.
This is one aggravating feature of an otherwise wonderful phone.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's a google feature you can turn it off but you won't be able you use some apps like google maps or transit apps.

Setting > google> location

Hellseeker1332

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's a google feature you can turn it off but you won't be able you use some apps like google maps or transit apps.

Setting > google> location

Hey everyone!

I'm not shure about it, but it makes sense.

My GPS turns on automatically when the battery status turns to 5% left ...
I also did start the phone in the save mode ... And if it is in the save mode it does not start the GPS. So it is definitely an application that starts it.

But I can't find a reason, because my location Infosys in Google are off.

Nevershaydie

Jan 24, 2019
Visit site
It's the Find My Mobile app which does it (maybe called Find My Cell Phone in USA? Not sure).

You have the 'Send Last Location' option turned on. It's a security setting to send your phone's location to the app's server before it runs out of battery.

To switch it off, go to Settings - Lock Screen and Security - Find My Mobile. Then turn off 'Send Last Location'.

zzgman

May 31, 2019
Visit site
It's the Find My Mobile app which does it (maybe called Find My Cell Phone in USA? Not sure).

You have the 'Send Last Location' option turned on. It's a security setting to send your phone's location to the app's server before it runs out of battery.

To switch it off, go to Settings - Lock Screen and Security - Find My Mobile. Then turn off 'Send Last Location'.

This works perfectly! No more auto switching to "high accuracy"
For Samsung S6 at least!

Thx heaps