S9+ Blows Pixel 2 XL Out of the Water!!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, I want to make this S9 work. This camera has to be better than it is right now for me.
The main gripe on the Samsung camera app actually is that as a point and shoot, it's good, but it's not as great as the Pixel when both are in auto mode. You have to know what you're doing and making a adjustments to get the best possible picture with the given hardware. It would be awesome if the camera can default to pro mode with your own setup but, oh well.

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
The main gripe on the Samsung camera app actually is that as a point and shoot, it's good, but it's not as great as the Pixel when both are in auto mode. You have to know what you're doing and making a adjustments to get the best possible picture with the given hardware. It would be awesome if the camera can default to pro mode with your own setup but, oh well.
Yeah, and I'm definitely not a camera expert so I don't know what most if the settings are in Pro mode. I'm in the process of figuring out what each one means/does.

UdiBerry

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
Yep, the S9+ is really amazing!
I'm enjoying it so much, what a great phone.
It's not free of problems obviously, but they are pretty minor and hopefully Samsung will fix them soon.
I was really unimpressed with the Pixel 2xl, and the whole "stock Android" thing is way overrated IMO. I actually prefer TW and Samsung's apps over Google's...

...There is one thing I'll miss. That's the squeeze function to bring up GA. I already miss that but it's a small price to pay

You can use a Bixby button remapper app (like bxActions) to open GA with the Bixby button, or you can add the squeeze functionality with this app:

https://youtu.be/3Nzz0MFg73E

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I can't think of one thing about that phone that has an advantage over the 9+.

Pixel 2 XL has a better camera, better build materials, better and more up to date software, better and more up to date security, is better for updates on both of those fronts, out of the box is better for user privacy, has a better FPS, 128 GB option is more widely available, has smoother performance despite less RAM, has better resource management, has better battery life, better charging solution (Samsung is still using QuickCharge 2.0), etc.
S9+ has a better display (for most users), arguably better speakers (though one of them is facing the wrong direction), wireless charging and Samsung pay, etc.

Really depends on what your priorities are to say which is best for any single person, but completely unfounded to say one blows the other out of the water. They have much more in common than the things they differ on.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL has a better camera, better build materials, better and more up to date software, better and more up to date security, is better for updates on both of those fronts, out of the box is better for user privacy, has a better FPS, 128 GB option is more widely available, has smoother performance despite less RAM, has better resource management, has better battery life, better charging solution (Samsung is still using QuickCharge 2.0), etc.
S9+ has a better display (for most users), arguably better speakers (though one of them is facing the wrong direction), wireless charging and Samsung pay, etc.

Really depends on what your priorities are to say which is best for any single person, but completely unfounded to say one blows the other out of the water. They have much more in common than the things they differ on.
Does the Pixel 2XL have an IP rating? Isn't the S9 duo IP68? I respect the rest of your points but not sure I quite agree with them all, ie., not sure everyone would agree that the Pixel has better build materials and why stock Android appeals to some I'm not sure everyone feels it's better than Samsung's feature-set. I know I'm not the only one Ito enjoy niceties like Samsung's themes. Security? Yeah, everyone not running stock Android needs to up their game.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Does the Pixel 2XL have an IP rating? Isn't the S9 duo IP68? I respect the rest of your points but not sure I quite agree with them all, ie., not sure everyone would agree that the Pixel has better build materials and why stock Android appeals to some I'm not sure everyone feels it's better than Samsung's feature-set. I know I'm not the only one Ito enjoy niceties like Samsung's themes. Security? Yeah, everyone not running stock Android needs to up their game.

2XL is IP67, which for all intents and purposes, in terms of real world scenarios, is exactly the same thing. The build materials, I mean that the aluminum back is stronger and more durable than the glass back. They're both the same glass on the front and the same aluminum frame, so no differentiation there.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I'm not sure everyone feels it's better than Samsung's feature-set.

100% agree in terms of what people prefer for default apps, etc. Example, Samsung Pay in my experience is a better payment app than Google Pay, on mobile. That's not what I mean by quality of software; I'm referring to the behind the scenes stuff, rather than the UI.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
100% agree in terms of what people prefer for default apps, etc. Example, Samsung Pay in my experience is a better payment app than Google Pay, on mobile. That's not what I mean by quality of software; I'm referring to the behind the scenes stuff, rather than the UI.
Got it.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The S9 picture looks blown out. I can see more detail in the Pixel picture. Look at the wall alone. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

What is it about the wall that lacks detail compared to the Pixel?
I'm looking at the baseboard, the sharpness of the edges on the tablet,
the sharpness of the Samsung logo on the tablet and the text on the Twisted
Peppermint lotion in the S9+ example. I'm looking at the amt of noise on the wall and baseboard
on the Pixel example. The woven basket in the background is more sharp in the Samsung. I don't see any blown out areas in either. Just to be sure you know which picture is which, the S9+ is the top picture.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep, the S9+ is really amazing!
I'm enjoying it so much, what a great phone.
It's not free of problems obviously, but they are pretty minor and hopefully Samsung will fix them soon.
I was really unimpressed with the Pixel 2xl, and the whole "stock Android" thing is way overrated IMO. I actually prefer TW and Samsung's apps over Google's...

You can use a Bixby button remapper app (like bxActions) to open GA with the Bixby button, or you can add the squeeze functionality with this app:

https://youtu.be/3Nzz0MFg73E

I installed the bxActions and before I knew it (before I thought I completed the set up) I had mapped GA in place of Bixby! :eek: I hadn't even indicated what I wanted to take the place of Bixby. I hadn't even set up Bixby yet. The instructions on the bxActions app said to set it up once. Right before I did that, I hit the Bixby button and GA popped up! Surprised, I said, (outloud) "how did you know that's what I wanted?". GA replied, "that's just the way I'm programmed" LOL Having 8 GH devices in the house, I'm used to his witty answers ;)
THANKS SO MUCH!!!

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
2XL is IP67, which for all intents and purposes, in terms of real world scenarios, is exactly the same thing. The build materials, I mean that the aluminum back is stronger and more durable than the glass back. They're both the same glass on the front and the same aluminum frame, so no differentiation there.

Not really. If it was the same then they wouldn't have 2 ratings

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

S9+ has the newer better processor, better display,Don't think the FPS is better especially since they put it in a better place. Has ip 68 s ip67, has expandble storage,has wireless charging, has a better battery rating,more ram,Samsung Pay which works so much better because you don't need NFC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty