S9+ vs Note 8 - Picture quality

gnGracie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Note 5, which I have absolutely loved. I was going to upgrade to the Note 8, but then I started reading about the S9+ having a better camera, particularly in low light settings. I love my Note and I love having the S Pen. However, I'm a photog and have 3 young grandbabies, so the camera is even more important to me than the S Pen.

The reviews I'm reading seem to put the Note 8 and S9+ on fairly equal ground in all things, except the camera. What I want to know is this - is the camera in the S9+ noticeably better than the Note 8?

Also, I've seen that I will need converters to work with my current chargers (I've purchased multiple to keep at work, in my car, around the house, etc., so I still want to use them if possible). What type of converter do I need to purchase to convert from the Note 5 charger to the S9+ (if I get that phone)?

I'm having a tough time choosing between the two phones and appreciate your input. :)

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Based simply on the posted photos in this and the Note 8 forums, the Note 8 has, IMO, more “better” photos thn the S9+.
You haven’t defined your definition of a “better” camera, so I haven’t defined my definition of “better” photos. :p

UdiBerry

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
Re the chargers - the new Samsung phones use a USB type-C connector, so you'll need a Micro USB to USB-C.

Does your charger has a detachable cable?

UdiBerry

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
UdiBerry, my cables are detachable. Does that matter/make a difference?

It does.
If the side that connects to the chargers is a regular USB, all you need to do is buy new cables (like the one you'll get with the S9/Note 9) with USB on one side and USB-C on the other, and use them with your chargers. No need for converters of any kind.
Hopefully your chargers are strong enough so you'd also get Fast Charging.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Note 5, which I have absolutely loved. I was going to upgrade to the Note 8, but then I started reading about the S9+ having a better camera, particularly in low light settings. I love my Note and I love having the S Pen. However, I'm a photog and have 3 young grandbabies, so the camera is even more important to me than the S Pen.

The reviews I'm reading seem to put the Note 8 and S9+ on fairly equal ground in all things, except the camera. What I want to know is this - is the camera in the S9+ noticeably better than the Note 8?

Also, I've seen that I will need converters to work with my current chargers (I've purchased multiple to keep at work, in my car, around the house, etc., so I still want to use them if possible). What type of converter do I need to purchase to convert from the Note 5 charger to the S9+ (if I get that phone)?

I'm having a tough time choosing between the two phones and appreciate your input. :)

I had the note 8 and now the s9+. For your specific needs, I think that the s9+ will be better. It is less likely to get blurs when taking pics of active children. My friend who had both phones said similar as well.

You can buy a micro usb to usb c adapter but honestly I would recommend buying new cables. I used adapters and they do work but they tend to be bulky and also sometimes came off when I removed the cable without paying attention.

gnGracie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I had the note 8 and now the s9+. For your specific needs, I think that the s9+ will be better. It is less likely to get blurs when taking pics of active children. My friend who had both phones said similar as well.

You can buy a micro usb to usb c adapter but honestly I would recommend buying new cables. I used adapters and they do work but they tend to be bulky and also sometimes came off when I removed the cable without paying attention.

Thanks so much dpham00!

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I had Note 8 but switched to S9+ and very very happy...I tried Many moving shots but could never get a good one...but with my S9+ during a recent trip to phi phi island I took amazing moving portrait shots of my wife who is a blogger..and she was very happy with the result

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The main factor for a great shot with those 2 devices is the person standing behind the phone.

( I like to take the occasional blurry shot and the Note 8 just had the edge for me, but only in certain conditions. )