USB Charging in Car NOT working

drfever

Jul 25, 2018
Visit site
My wife drives a Ford Edge. She has an S9plus

When trying to use the USB port and I plug her phone in, nothing happens.. The phone doesn't start charging. The odd time a message will appear on the truck's console saying "USB device not recognized"

In the centre console there is a port that looks like a cigarette lighter plug..(12 volt?) If I place my older charger in there that has a USB port and plug in the USB, the phone will charge.

However, because nothing happens when she the phone plugs directly into the USB, her android auto is rendered useless.

Any suggestions on how to be able to utilize the USB port in the car?

Thanks in advance to those that reply.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked with the car dealership to see if there is any updated firmware for the car's head unit?

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
You need a new, quality cable that's intended for both signal and charging.

Start with one from your phone manufacturer.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
The USB port is not a charge port, it's for data, and has less power going to it than your phone probably uses just being on
. You did it right when you put a adapter in the 12v cigarette lighter plug to charge the phone.

drfever

Jul 25, 2018
Visit site
Thank you methodman.. Works great for charging from the 12v

However because the USB doesn't even recognize the phone is plugged in when attached via USB, she can't use android auto.

I've tried 3 USB cables now.. Nada

It worked fine with her S7

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Thank you methodman.. Works great for charging from the 12v

However because the USB doesn't even recognize the phone is plugged in when attached via USB, she can't use android auto.

I've tried 3 USB cables now.. Nada

It worked fine with her S7
You might need to go to Settings and select data for when a USB is plugged in.