Since Update Phone App display the word Phone takes up half of page display

D Joe

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the Samsung Galaxy S9 with Android version 9 or Pie and One UI version 1.0 and I use the preloaded phone app for contacts and calls. Since the last update the phone app display is very inconvenient and annoying because the word Phone takes up half the page and I can now only see 3 contacts on first page without having to scroll up. In the previous version the word Phone was on top but only took up about 1/3 of page and then my contacts showed.
Is there a way to change this or any solution to go back to the display in previous phone app or is this a Samsung App problem and if so any solutions? Please see screen shot of what I am talking about. Does this annoy anyone else?
Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_new update samsung s9 phone app.jpg
    Screenshot_new update samsung s9 phone app.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 18

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's by design as part of OneUI.

The old phone app will also not work anymore. You either get a different third party phone app on the Play Store or just scroll up.

The intention was since phones are getting taller, this makes the top choices easier to reach while holding without having to use two hands or doing hand gymnastics.

D Joe

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I understand your explanation of the intention but I do wonder how much that was part of the decision and what thought they put into it as I believe they could still put the word phone higher up and show your top 5 contacts and be able to access any of the 5 contacts without doing hand gymnastics even on the tallest of phones.

I think they could give the user an option to modify the display to show more contacts and lessen the word phone without an overabundance of work for the programmers.
Thanks for answering.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Just adjust your font size and screen zoom.

Mine is showing my top 4 favorite contacts plus my me card, plus the button for groups.
2d9224bca4784e84484048ad2c5b55b2.jpg

D Joe

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Its not the font size. How did you hide the "Create contact" text to just a plus sign? That is the difference in our displays.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Its not the font size. How did you hide the "Create contact" text to just a plus sign? That is the difference in our displays.

No idea. I never had the "create contact" button there. I'm using Exynos version. Also I don't have the navigation buttons. I use hidden gestures.

krisqz

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Are you using a custom theme? Be aware that Pie update broke compatibility with a lot of 3rd party themes. Switch to default and see if it looks any better to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress