11-24-2019 05:01 PM
34 12
tools
    I just moved to the S9. I came from a lifetime of BlackBerry use, where I got used to the fingerprint sensor in the spacebar to wake the phone.

I often have the device sitting on the desk in front of me. I want to be able use tap and swipe gestures to wake and unlock the phone. I set the security lock to a swipe pattern to make that easy while the device is on the desk. However, it seems there's no way to use double-tap to wake the screen to even get to the swipe pattern -- it seems I have to press the power button on the side of the phone, which is very inconvenient to be doing dozens of times a day versus tapping and swiping.

And I am in business and quite security conscious, so I do need the phone to lock after 5-10 minutes of inactivity and to require a password.

I see that launchers like Nova are supposed to be able to provide the ability to use double-tap to wake the device, though I installed it and felt it out briefly and I'm really just not into all that work and modification just to get things to look "normal" just so I can add that one functionality (not to mention that I looked for it and couldn't even find it in the app, though I assume it must be there from all that I've read).

Is there really no way to use the stock settings to get it to be able to do that? My only choice is to use Nova or something similar? Or buy an S10 or Note 10 that has the fingerprint sensor on the display? From what I read, there really is no choice, but I thought I'd ask here first before doing anything drastic.

Thanks!
    11-15-2019 05:06 AM
    I don't know of any way to add the DOUBLE TAP TO WAKE action, on a phone that does not either have it baked into the kernel (ex. LG) or one that has root and kernel editing access.
    11-15-2019 12:23 PM
    I don't know of any way to add the DOUBLE TAP TO WAKE action, on a phone that does not either have it baked into the kernel (ex. LG) or one that has root and kernel editing access.
    So, a third-party launcher like Nova won't provide it either?
    11-15-2019 04:08 PM
    S9 has double tap to wake it's in settings>advance features>motion and gestures.

Nova launcher will allow this also with more customization
    11-15-2019 04:15 PM
    S9 has double tap to wake it's in settings>advance features>motion and gestures.

Nova launcher will allow this also with more customization
    I'm not seeing that option in the stock settings. Note that I have Android 9 running on it.

Here are the choices I have under Settings > Advanced features > Motions and gestures (all of which have sliders for off or on):

- Lift to wake
    - Smart stay
    - Smart alert
    - Easy mute
    - Direct call
    - One-handed mode
    - Finger sensor gestures
    - Palm swipe to capture
    - Swipe to call or send messages

And nothing inside any of those choices gives me that option.

This is so much of an inconvenience for me I was on the phone with Verizon sales and the store today asking about buying a Note 10 -- solely for the on-display fingerprint sensor. That's a lot of money just for this one challenge. I'd sure love to find a solution that lets me stay with the phone I own.
    11-15-2019 04:25 PM
    I'm not seeing that option in the stock settings. Note that I have Android 9 running on it.

Here are the choices I have under Settings > Advanced features > Motions and gestures (all of which have sliders for off or on):

- Lift to wake
    - Smart stay
    - Smart alert
    - Easy mute
    - Direct call
    - One-handed mode
    - Finger sensor gestures
    - Palm swipe to capture
    - Swipe to call or send messages

And nothing inside any of those choices gives me that option.

This is so much of an inconvenience for me I was on the phone with Verizon sales and the store today asking about buying a Note 10 -- solely for the on-display fingerprint sensor. That's a lot of money just for this one challenge. I'd sure love to find a solution that lets me stay with the phone I own.
    Ok some carrier might remove or put another place , try in settings then type in the top search bar double tap to wake see if anything?
    11-15-2019 04:34 PM
    Thanks. I just tried that search at your suggestion. It found nothing.

An article I found said the S9 dropped that functionality: https://www.techjunkie.com/enable-do...-galaxy-s9-s9/. Ratings on the Double-Tap app they mention are pretty lousy and I'm not anxious to go there.

Maybe it's in Nova but just I paid $4.99 last night for Nove Prime (Pro? or whatever they're calling the paid version lately) and looked in the choices and just did not see it. Maybe I need to look again.
    11-15-2019 04:41 PM
    Thanks. I just tried that search at your suggestion. It found nothing.

An article I found said the S9 dropped that functionality: https://www.techjunkie.com/enable-do...-galaxy-s9-s9/. Ratings on the Double-Tap app they mention are pretty lousy and I'm not anxious to go there.

Maybe it's in Nova but just I paid $4.99 last night for Nove Prime (Pro? or whatever they're calling the paid version lately) and looked in the choices and just did not see it. Maybe I need to look again.
    Nova has it in settings under gestures and Imput
    11-15-2019 04:43 PM
    Nova has it in settings under gestures and Imput
    I don't know what I might be missing here but I'm in Nova Launcher Prime 6.2.3 and it simply is not available. It's not in Gestures > Double-tap (I can set that to Lock the phone or do all sorts of other things, but nothing about Wake is there whatsoever), and in fact if I go into Settings or Settings > Gestures and do a search in the bar at the top for "wake" it turns up absolutely nothing (while a search on "Swipe" or any other common term turns up plenty).

Looks like it just is not available.
    11-15-2019 05:46 PM
    I don't know what I might be missing here but I'm in Nova Launcher Prime 6.2.3 and it simply is not available. It's not in Gestures > Double-tap (I can set that to Lock the phone or do all sorts of other things, but nothing about Wake is there whatsoever), and in fact if I go into Settings or Settings > Gestures and do a search in the bar at the top for "wake" it turns up absolutely nothing (while a search on "Swipe" or any other common term turns up plenty).

Looks like it just is not available.
    It's in settings of Nova ..I show with arrowsS9 double-tap to wake not available in stock settings?-screenshot_20191115-174646__01.jpegS9 double-tap to wake not available in stock settings?-screenshot_20191115-174710__01.jpeg
    11-15-2019 05:48 PM
    11-15-2019 05:50 PM
    Hold on this only works for when screen on , this not what you want ?
    11-15-2019 05:57 PM
    Go to settings

Hit the search at top
    Hit wake up and select double tap.
    Touch it and it will show you the switch to turn on.
    11-15-2019 05:59 PM
    Hold on this only works for when screen on , this not what you want ?
    Exactly. One can use it to lock the screen, but not to wake it.

These are the options I see in Double-tap and all other similar gesture options:

S9 double-tap to wake not available in stock settings?-screenshot_20191115-175222_nova-launcher_a.jpg

S9 double-tap to wake not available in stock settings?-screenshot_20191115-175304_nova-launcher_b.jpg
    pizza_pablo likes this.
    11-15-2019 06:00 PM
    Go to settings

Hit the search at top
    Hit wake up and select double tap.
    Touch it and it will show you the switch to turn on.
    We must have different versions of something because that's just not there for me. If "wake up" was going to yield a search result, so would "wake" -- and now I've tried both seaches anyway and neither yields any result.
    11-15-2019 06:02 PM
    Exactly. One can use it to lock the screen, but not to wake it.

These are the options I see in Double-tap and all other similar gesture options:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191115-175222_Nova Launcher_A.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	313142

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191115-175304_Nova Launcher_B.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	313143
    How about in settings >lock screen > AOD >tap to see work ?S9 double-tap to wake not available in stock settings?-screenshot_20191115-180327_always-20on-20display.jpeg
    Javier P likes this.
    11-15-2019 06:05 PM
    Exactly, Nova gestures will only work on the home screen. I remember that Samsung included a double tap to wake feature in some update but I'm not sure if it's still available. Can you find 'Tap to Show' in the Always on Display settings?
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-15-2019 06:06 PM
    Damn, ninja'd again!!!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-15-2019 06:07 PM
    Exactly, Nova gestures will only work on the home screen. I remember that Samsung included a double tap to wake feature in some update but I'm not sure if it's still available. Can you find 'Tap to Show' in the Always on Display settings?
    I have "Tap to Show" turned on. All that does is show me the Always On display. I'm not seeing anything about waking the device in this module.

I have these settings set at present:

Always on Display
    Tap to Show = On
    Home button and clock
    Tap to show - show for 10 seconds

No "wake" at all in there as far as I can see.
    11-15-2019 06:13 PM
    I have "Tap to Show" turned on. All that does is show me the Always On display. I'm not seeing anything about waking the device in this module.

Always on Display
    Tap to Show = On
    Home button and clock

Your phone doesn't the tap to display only AOD...for what your looking for to get in easy I would suggest smart Lock with stays unlocked while on your body or trusted place or keep your lock screen timeout longer.

Even if you had tap to display it wouldn't function how you want it because it won't unlock the phone or use face unlock with Iris scanner
    11-15-2019 06:20 PM

Always on Display
    Tap to Show = On
    Home button and clock

Unfortunately I think in Samsung devices that's the closest thing to the feature you are looking for.
    11-15-2019 06:21 PM
    Unfortunately I think in Samsung devices that's the closest thing to the feature you are looking for.
    Well, I think you're both right.

I'm aware of those other options.

I don't mind having to enter my password every time since I can use a swipe pattern, which is pretty easy to do when the phone is flat on the desk in front of me.

I'm cautious about having GPS location keep the phone unlocked because I have been living in an extended-stay Marriott franchise for two years and leaving the device on a bench or dropping it etc wouldn't be all that safe.

And using a Bluetooth device like my headset or watch doesn't feel all that safe since I often use a waist pack and might have one or both in there while the phone is on the holster attached or is inside, such as at the gym -- or they might all be in my gym bag. Etc.

Oh, well. I may have to go to a Note 10 sooner rather than later to get that fingerprint sensor. Although my whole world is turning upside down now because I just finally moved away from BlackBerrys with physical keyboards after all these years, and now I see my only choice for a case and belt-clip holster, Seidio Dilex with "locking" holster, isn't even available for the S10 or Note10, and I must have that case-and-holster for my phone, so I actually just had a moment of "tilt" in my head there for a minute looking at the Seidio site looking at the -- dare I say it -- iPhone options (man, that doesn't site right in my stomach at all ).

Oh well. (Sigh.)
    11-15-2019 06:29 PM
    So, a third-party launcher like Nova won't provide it either?
    Not to my knowledge. That's a kernel function.
    When I say WAKE I mean all the way to the home screen, not just showing the lock screen notifications, from off or AOD.

Double tap to sleep is available in Nova Launcher, but some call it a gimmick and not a true trap to sleep.
    11-16-2019 12:21 PM
    Thank you to all who have been helping me with this.

Man, what a challenge! Am I the only one who works all day with the device sitting on my desk in front of me and wants to tap and swipe to use it, without having to lift it up off the desk or maneuver to hit the Power button to wake it -- which is required literally many dozens of times a day?

I had decided to resign myself to using a Bluetooth connection to keep the phone unlocked, which is certainly not as secure as I'd like but I have to consider usability at well. At least that would enhance productivity compared to first waking the phone and then unlocking the phone with taps and gestures dozens of times a day. I hoped with perpetual Bluetooth "unlock," a single-tap on a black screen would get me "in."

In fact, one thing I found that makes it less of a concern to be keeping the phone unlocked when on a Bluetooth connection is the Lockdown option, though it does require remembering to manually activate it when, say, leaving the phone (and Bluetooth device) in the locker at the gym or taking off the waist pack for a swim.

There's just one problem, though! While using a Bluetooth connection can keep the phone "unlocked," it seems it will not keep the phone "awake!" And for that, one still needs to hit the power button on the side of the phone!

The only choice left is keeping the screen on all day with the device sitting on a charger all day, and burning out the battery life really quick at about $130 a shot to replace the battery -- and probably ending up with screen burn-in, requiring a new screen periodically at about $230?

Either someone at Samsung or Google really missed the mark with this, or Samsung is trying to push people to buy an S10 or Note10 for the on-display fingerprint sensor.

Maybe this will come to the attention of a development team and be "fixed" in an update, though that seems highly unlikely at this stage.

Maybe it will be there if and when Android 10 is released for the S9?
    11-16-2019 03:39 PM
    How To Enable Double Tap Wake Or Sleep On Samsung Galaxy S9 And S9+
    https://www.techjunkie.com/enable-do...-galaxy-s9-s9/
    11-16-2019 06:19 PM
34 12