Backup and install Cyanogenmod on Galaxy S3

OdanUrr

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Before I start, my apologies for posting what is undoubtedly a recurring subject. Nonetheless, I have done some research on how to do this but no tutorial I've found so far has been able to soothe my concerns. Indeed, I don't think I've been able to find a complete guide on how to do this. I have an S3 i9300 (Intl) and would like to install the CyanogenMod build 10.1.3 which, at the moment, is the stable one without rooting my phone. I think this can be done following the instructions here. Before doing this, however, I would like to completely backup my phone in case something goes wrong. Furthermore, I would also like to keep data such as contacts, messages, pictures and the like in the new ROM. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to do this.

Thanks.

mattypurvis

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi having just been in your very shoes I understand your aprihention, the easiest way to do it I found is this.

1, visit galaxys3root.com for a vid on how to root phone (phone is rooted once cm is flashed anyway)
2, install a custom recovery where you will be able to do a full nandroid backup in recovery mode.
3, download the rom you want from cm (I am currently on cm 11 unofficial and it's very stable)
4, down load the correct gaps.
5, boot into recovery do a full wipe, cache, delveke everything.
6, flash rom from where you downloaded it.
7, flash gapps.
8, reboot with your new rom.

If you have your contacts backed up to Google they will auto update so will most of the apps and other data if you have them backed up.

Please note this is the path I followed I hold no responsibility if anything happens to your device, but in the last week I have successfully flashed cm 10.2, 11 v4, 11 v5, 11 v6, 11 v7, 11 v8 and just 5 min ago 11 v9.

If you update to cm11 you will need to flash a kernel as well but it's just the same as flashing the rom you can do it in recovery mode

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to keep data such as contacts, messages, pictures and the like
As the previous poster noted, if you sync your Google account then your contacts are taken care of.

You can try Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos to automatically backup your pictures/videos to the cloud (5GB free).

You can use Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup to backup your SMS (but not MMS) and apps/app data. I think it also does your call logs.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

OdanUrr

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your answers! I think it's enough to get me started. When I get around to installing CM, and if I am successful, I'll detail the steps I took for future reference.

Cheers!

mattypurvis

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
There are plenty of thread on how to do it. I just read a lot of them before hand, it's hard to trust information from strangers but everyone is really helpful

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2