would you trade your 10.1 for an 8.9?

S. Darnell Alston

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I currently have a galaxy tab 10.1 but I am starting to see more and more reviews of the Galaxy Tab 8.9 pop up online. I'm just wondering, since you really don't lose anything with the smaller version but you do gain a higher resolution screen (well, same resolution but smaller screen size...), would you trade for the smaller more potable one? Coming from a PlayBook and loving the portability of it, I am having second thoughts about which would be better. What do you think?

Matrix_19

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I currently have a galaxy tab 10.1 but I am starting to see more and more reviews of the Galaxy Tab 8.9 pop up online. I'm just wondering, since you really don't lose anything with the smaller version but you do gain a higher resolution screen (well, same resolution but smaller screen size...), would you trade for the smaller more potable one? Coming from a PlayBook and loving the portability of it, I am having second thoughts about which would be better. What do you think?

Battery life ?

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Pure preference imo, but I wouldn't sacrifice the screen real estate of the 10.1 I find it to be extremely portable (and I travel a fair amount) so I'll be sticking with the 10.1. BTW, doesn't the 8.9 come with micro-sd and/or USB ports? I could have sworn I read something months ago that it would have it. I'm doing just fine with my Sammy USB adapter, but something else to consider.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of a smaller footprint, potentially better battery life, and higher pixel density of an 8.9" tablet. That said, I probably wouldn't bother if I already had a 10.1" tablet. Now, if I didn't have a tablet at all, 8.9" would be near the top of my list.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I use to own the 7in Galaxy Tab, and I really liked the portability of the smaller form factor.

However, the low weight and sleek design of the 10.1 make it much more portable than I imagined. I sold my GT 7 inch, and purchased the 10.1 because I could stay portable, and have the latest hardware and software. Currently my GT 10.1 goes with me everywhere.

However, I do plan to purchase the 8.9. My wife is a homemaker, and so she will likely keep the 10.1 around the house for web browsing, and other light computing task versus having to fire up the laptop.

I will use the 8.9 to go back and forth to work, sit in on meetings, and travel. Also, because I have unlimited data with Sprint, I use my Evo as a mobile hotspot. Using the 8.9 will further decrease the weight I'll have to carry around, without sacrficing too much screen space. The 8.9 will be the ultimate in portability.

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I use to own the 7in Galaxy Tab, and I really liked the portability of the smaller form factor.

However, the low weight and sleek design of the 10.1 make it much more portable than I imagined. I sold my GT 7 inch, and purchased the 10.1 because I could stay portable, and have the latest hardware and software. Currently my GT 10.1 goes with me everywhere.

However, I do plan to purchase the 8.9. My wife is a homemaker, and so she will likely keep the 10.1 around the house for web browsing, and other light computing task versus having to fire up the laptop.

I will use the 8.9 to go back and forth to work, sit in on meetings, and travel. Also, because I have unlimited data with Sprint, I use my Evo as a mobile hotspot. Using the 8.9 will further decrease the weight I'll have to carry around, without sacrficing too much screen space. The 8.9 will be the ultimate in portability.

Until Sprint wises up like AT&T and Verizon and forces you to add a valid tethering plan! :) Enjoy the data while you can!!!

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Until Sprint wises up like AT&T and Verizon and forces you to add a valid tethering plan! :) Enjoy the data while you can!!!

I agree that they may, but so far, they seem unwilling to crack down. If they ever do, I'll probably go ahead and pay for it, but as long as they don't mind, I'll enjoy the free ride (which I hardly ever use anyway; now, if I were paying for it, I'd use it to the limit).

As for trading: no. You give up a good bit of screen in exchange for a slightly smaller form factor.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I am paying the $29.99 per month tethering plan with Sprint.

I know many people have rooted their phones to bypass the monthly charge, and so I'm not here to pass judgement on anyone, but for me, I couldn't do that and have a clear conscience.

Whether a person should have to pay for tethering or not is one of those debates that I can understand the sentiment on both sides of the issue. However, since it is Sprint's intent that customers pay for tethering, I bite the bullet and fork over the cash.

I will say, that since I do actually pay for my mobile hotspot feature on my Evo 4g, I use it to it's fullest extent.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Like others have said, the 10.1 is light enough for me to be portable and easy to hold for long periods of time.Now, if I didn't already have the 10.1 then I might have leaned towards the 8.9.