Tab Is Frozen at Boot Screen! Help!

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
I've tried a few search terms and found nothing, so apologies if I missed an existing answer.

Last night, I was going to read a couple of RSS feeds after updating Zinio. When I went to change launcher pages, it did change, but slowly. Then it got stuck. Nothing would work. That's happened occasionally, before. I could either wait awhile and continue on or reboot to solve the problem. I first waited 10 minutes, with no change. Then I rebooted through the moving stars to where the Samsung name has the flashing blue shadow behind it. And it's stuck there. Is this fixable and how?

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Best I can suggest is to hold down the power button till it finally reboots.

I flash a lot of roms and once in awhile something will get jacked up and I run into the same issue... Lots of times just holding the power button down until it finally reboots.

Sent From My GalaxyClass StarShip

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Best I can suggest is to hold down the power button till it finally reboots.

I flash a lot of roms and once in awhile something will get jacked up and I run into the same issue... Lots of times just holding the power button down until it finally reboots.

It does boot. It just never finishes. The nice little stylized lettering saying "Samsing Galaxy Tab 10.1". followed by the galaxy of stars, comets, etc. That brings up the oval with the word Samsung. Then everything bung Samsung disappears and a blue shadow keeps flashing. All as it has since I got it. But that's where it stays in the boot process. I can leave it for 30 minutes or an hour with nothing further in fully booting up. Holding the power button just repeats that. Now, from what you're saying, is that all before ICS boots up?

Edit: 12/16/12 update -- Still no love. I'm now trying the hardware process for restoring to factory original. It says it's downloading.

Edit 2: 12/16/12 update 2: That seems to want an OS installed on my PC and a PC connection to install it on the device. Frankly, not having any idea how to do any of the process, I'm not going further without some further guidance.

Last edited:

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Edit: 12/16/12 update -- Still no love. I'm now trying the hardware process for restoring to factory original. It says it's downloading.

Edit 2: 12/16/12 update 2: That seems to want an OS installed on my PC and a PC connection to install it on the device. Frankly, not having any idea how to do any of the process, I'm not going further without some further guidance.

I guess edits don't change the post date showing in the post list. These are the next two steps I've gotten to.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Hook us up with a bit more info real quick...

What Tab model do you have...

Are you running stock or rooted....

If rooted, what rom, kernel things like that.

From your last post its starting to sound like your rom some how got messed up.

Just need the info above to really help you out a bit more.

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Hook us up with a bit more info real quick...

What Tab model do you have...

P7510 Galaxy Tab 10.1

Are you running stock or rooted....

Stock, never rooted, upgraded to ICS.

If rooted, what rom, kernel things like that.

From your last post its starting to sound like your rom some how got messed up.

Just need the info above to really help you out a bit more.

Not rooted. Haven't looked into doing that and not sure I'd be comfortable with it, yet. And thanks for the help.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
First... Don't be afraid to root... It's not brain surgery or anything like that and you can root and run completely stock if you choose to. Rooting actually helps make trouble shooting and fixing things a bit easier in the long run. Just makes your Tab a bit more flexible and alot more useful.

Anyway... So your completely stock, unrooted and on the latest ICS.

Now you said you were using an app like normal and your Tab just shut down. And when you went to restart it it gets hung on the Samsung boot screen with the flashing halo around the word Samsung.

When you reboot your Tab it should first come to a splash screen that says "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" then the next screen you'll see is the animated "Samsung" screen. That screen comes up when the actual os starts to boot up.

I'm not real sure why but something is not allowing the OS to boot. It could and most likely is an app that you've downloaded, let's hope that's all it is.

I know your most likely not going to want to hear this but your first course of action should be to try a hard rest from the stock recovery. If you were to call Samsung to trouble shoot this its what they would tell you to do. It sucks and yes you will loss all of your user data, setups and music, videos and pictures... but it could get you up and running again and that should be your first concern.

So to do a hard reset:

1. Turn your Tab off.

2. Hold down the volume down button and tap the power button to turn your Tab back on.

3. Keep holding the volume down button until you see a screen with 2 icons on it. The one on the left should be a little android guy standing next to a box and the one on the right should say download... When you see this screen you can let go of the volume down button.

4. Now you want to select the icon on the left... To do this just tap the volume down button once, the android/box icon should be highlighted.

5. Once you've got the left icon highlighted, tap the volume up button to accept or choose that icon.

This should boot you into the stock recovery... Now I'm shooting in the dark here a bit, in haven't seen a stock recovery in about 2 years so.... But what your looking for is an "wipe" option. If I'm remembering right there aren't the may choices to choose from so you should be good. You use the volume keys to highlight it then the power button to make your choice.

This will reset your Tab back to its factory setup (except you should still be on ICS I think) just like out of the box.

Give this a try and report back and let me know what you get.

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, SouthPhilly. I'm back to as close to buck naked as Samsung's Touchwiz will let me be. :D And I've copied your instructions to Evernote, in case I need them again. Now I get to rebuild. But that's the easy part.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, SouthPhilly. I'm back to as close to buck naked as Samsung's Touchwiz will let me be. :D And I've copied your instructions to Evernote, in case I need them again. Now I get to rebuild. But that's the easy part.

That's awesome m8... Glad I could lend a hand to ya.

It dose suck losing all your data and setup but..... At least ya got your Tab back, that's what we were working for so.

Now you should check out rooting your Tab. If not for anything else, just so you can do "Nandroid Backups". Cause in a situation like you just had you could have done a full wipe (same as a factory rest) then just flashed a nandroid backup and be right were you left off.

Here's a link to some good reading and walk through video on rooting the Tab 10.1.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=17070949

Again glad I could help you out.

Matthew Vpn

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. 1) I held the power button down and when the screen went black to restart,2) i held the volume down button until and unusual screen popped up.3) I then clicked to install custom ios and waited for about 20 mins...4) then i held the power button again,5) let it restart twice then let it try to boot up and it worked. 6)If all fails, repeat steps 1,2 and set the product back to factory settings and let it finish and reboot. If that still doesent work, repeat again steps 1,2 and 6 and this time let it reboot twice as in 5 and it should work if it had not already. :D

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem. 1) I held the power button down and when the screen went black to restart,2) i held the volume down button until and unusual screen popped up.3) I then clicked to install custom ios and waited for about 20 mins...4) then i held the power button again,5) let it restart twice then let it try to boot up and it worked. 6)If all fails, repeat steps 1,2 and set the product back to factory settings and let it finish and reboot. If that still doesent work, repeat again steps 1,2 and 6 and this time let it reboot twice as in 5 and it should work if it had not already. :D

Already done. I waited more than 20 minutes on multiple reboots. Returned to original factory state and it worked. Thanks.

stephenstud

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
First... Don't be afraid to root... It's not brain surgery or anything like that and you can root and run completely stock if you choose to. Rooting actually helps make trouble shooting and fixing things a bit easier in the long run. Just makes your Tab a bit more flexible and alot more useful.

Now you said you were using an app like normal and your Tab just shut down. And when you went to restart it it gets hung on the Samsung boot screen with the flashing halo around the word Samsung.

When you reboot your Tab it should first come to a splash screen that says "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" then the next screen you'll see is the animated "Samsung" screen. That screen comes up when the actual os starts to boot up.

I'm not real sure why but something is not allowing the OS to boot. It could and most likely is an app that you've downloaded, let's hope that's all it is.

I know your most likely not going to want to hear this but your first course of action should be to try a hard rest from the stock recovery. If you were to call Samsung to trouble shoot this its what they would tell you to do. It sucks and yes you will loss all of your user data, setups and music, videos and pictures... but it could get you up and running again and that should be your first concern.

So to do a hard reset:

1. Turn your Tab off.

2. Hold down the volume down button and tap the power button to turn your Tab back on.

3. Keep holding the volume down button until you see a screen with 2 icons on it. The one on the left should be a little android guy standing next to a box and the one on the right should say download... When you see this screen you can let go of the volume down button.

4. Now you want to select the icon on the left... To do this just tap the volume down button once, the android/box icon should be highlighted.

5. Once you've got the left icon highlighted, tap the volume up button to accept or choose that icon.

This should boot you into the stock recovery... Now I'm shooting in the dark here a bit, in haven't seen a stock recovery in about 2 years so.... But what your looking for is an "wipe" option. If I'm remembering right there aren't the may choices to choose from so you should be good. You use the volume keys to highlight it then the power button to make your choice.

This will reset your Tab back to its factory setup (except you should still be on ICS I think) just like out of the box.

Thank you so much, I had screwed something up as well. And now its all good again:) Thanks!

Naig07 Mico

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
i charging my android tablet and then to charge and rest my android tablet and restart automatically and I waited 5 minutes my tablet was frozen and stuck booting what should I do to resolve this

Ralph Cyril

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
my tablet zync dual 7 plus..hang on startup zync logo...i think i accidentally closed or stopped an app..i think i go to settings then i tap stopped on 1 application that has android logo..then it said launcher had stopped working..i shutdown my tablet then when i boot it up again.. it just hanged at startup at zync logo...my tablet have reset but i doesn't work..still it just hang on startup...my tablet only have power buttons..i don't have volume buttons..when i try to connect it to pc..all i can see is that my pc read it but when i try to open the files the removable H and I it said please insert blah...so i cannot access the files..what would i do ?

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Please Help.What to do when you've unccessfully tried to intall ICS and somehow screwed up in such a way that the device won't make it past the starting samsung screen? I need to drag the Rom file back to tabs internal storage so I can install from zip on recovery but it wont even show on pc so I can transfer the files. Tried many things and no result.

nafanb

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I have read this on so many forums and tried it so many times but I never get 2 icons to choose from, I just get a choice to install a custom os or restart tablet and neither are working for me :s any advice?

Nkoyo

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 the day it was released in stores and loved it at first. I let my sis borrow it and she was downloading movies on it and 1 day it just froze up when starting up. From that point it never got passed the booting up and froze everytime on the swirl part. For years i have been trying to get it fixed and my neighbor has been trying to buy it off me at the same time ( he said the parts were too much and its a waste to spend $ to fix it). Never sold it. Life got in the way and i just gave up on it and put it away. A week ago i was about to break down and get another tab but i said let me give it another try with this and do some research. THANK GOD I CAME ACROSS YOUR POST!! I just knew it wouldnt work for me!! I followed every step and was so shocked that these icons were popping up on my tab!! I thought my motherboard was done! Step by step and its working!!??! Im still in shock to see that my tab is like new now because of you!! SO THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS INFO!!! Saved $150...........I kinda feel like i can fix my other computers now!!:D

Nkoyo

May 16, 2014
Visit site

So to do a hard reset:

1. Turn your Tab off.

I bought my Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 the day it was released in stores and loved it at first. I let my sis borrow it and she was downloading movies on it and 1 day it just froze up when starting up. From that point it never got passed the booting up and froze everytime on the swirl part. For years i have been trying to get it fixed and my neighbor has been trying to buy it off me at the same time ( he said the parts were too much and its a waste to spend $ to fix it). Never sold it. Life got in the way and i just gave up on it and put it away. A week ago i was about to break down and get another tab but i said let me give it another try with this and do some research. THANK GOD I CAME ACROSS YOUR POST!! I just knew it wouldnt work for me!! I followed every step and was so shocked that these icons were popping up on my tab!! I thought my motherboard was done! Step by step and its working!!??! Im still in shock to see that my tab is like new now because of you!! SO THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS INFO!!! Saved $150...........I kinda feel like i can fix my other computers now!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87