External SD loosing files

grahamsimmons

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I've tried to copy a load of encoded films to the GT2 and without reason some directories get removed without warning and even files in a directory disappear. Also, some files just decide without reason to not play!

I've tried using the standard video app and MX Player.

Any ideas?

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Please offer more information. Did you copy the files to the sd card with your computer? Do they still show up on the sd card with the computer?

How do you know they disappeared? Just because the media players have not found them does not mean they are not there! Sometimes you have to refresh or re-search with the media player so it will find the media!

grahamsimmons

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I've copied the files using the data cable and selecting "just copy" and the "convert" option and also directly to the SD via a USB holder.

I have 118 files (5.53GB) spread across 9 directories. If I select all 9 directories to copy to the micro SD even via the USB holder some directories end up empty! If I manually copy in those files then afterwards other directories end up empy or even missing! There is a LOST.DIR directory with a load of files in. Not sure why they are ... perhaps my missing files, but why are they there?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Your files are there. You see, the LOST.DIR folder is a folder where corrupt/fragmented/broken pieces of data go, its like Android's neat way of cleaning your microSD/HC for you. I bet if you go and, if using your PC to browse the files, right click, select "Properties", and check the size of the file, you'll find what you are looking for. First hand experience over here. How it happens can be one or more of several factors: interrupted copy/move transfers, ROM itself, size issues (bigger the file, less reliable.).

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Another tip: to confirm your files, let's say you had a movie in .MP4 format, you would change the file extension. Example: File name: "movie" -> "movie.mp4". Hope I've helped you.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

grahamsimmons

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for your reply. I had another 16GB micro SD in my S3, so I used that to transfer all my directories and files over to it and they all showed up and work on my S3 and my GT2 with no problems. This would suggest your thought of corrupt/damaged ROM is correct. I'm in the process of ordering 2 32GB micro SD cards for the 2 GT2 I have bought for my sons for Christmas, so this should sort out the issues I have.

Again, thank you for your reply and useful ideas :eek:)