64GB SDHC copying problem

budcurtis

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Tab 3 8" and there is nothing wrong with the tablet. It recognizes the SD card, formats it, etc. However, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the tablet and i'm hoping that someone else has seen this problem and figured a way around it.

Basically, I have about 16GB of music I would like to copy to the SD card, and so far I haven't been successful. On my laptop I have tried both the file explorer and FreeFileSync to copy the files to the SD card and the copying process completes successfully, no errors reported. However, when I do a CHKDSK on the SD card about 12 of the 16 is thrown out as seperate filechk files. I have tried exFat formatted on the tablet and/or laptop as well as Fat32 with the same results. I have had the exact same results using a 32GB and a 64GB card so I don't think it is the card.

I have read that the exFat had troubles with some music file names and that is why I tried the FAT32, but that didn't solve the problem. I have used the low format of the sdFormatter.exe, but that didn't help either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 4

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Tab 3 8" and there is nothing wrong with the tablet. It recognizes the SD card, formats it, etc. However, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the tablet and i'm hoping that someone else has seen this problem and figured a way around it.

Basically, I have about 16GB of music I would like to copy to the SD card, and so far I haven't been successful. On my laptop I have tried both the file explorer and FreeFileSync to copy the files to the SD card and the copying process completes successfully, no errors reported. However, when I do a CHKDSK on the SD card about 12 of the 16 is thrown out as seperate filechk files. I have tried exFat formatted on the tablet and/or laptop as well as Fat32 with the same results. I have had the exact same results using a 32GB and a 64GB card so I don't think it is the card.

I have read that the exFat had troubles with some music file names and that is why I tried the FAT32, but that didn't solve the problem. I have used the low format of the sdFormatter.exe, but that didn't help either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!
There is a third format option. NTFS (I think) you can try that one.

budcurtis

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
According to the documentation the most release can handle 64GB. My tablet is only two weeks old. However, I had the same issue with an older 32GB SDHC card. That is why I didn't think it was the card.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
According to the documentation the most release can handle 64GB. My tablet is only two weeks old. However, I had the same issue with an older 32GB SDHC card. That is why I didn't think it was the card.

Have you tried a different 32 GB SDHC card anyway? There is still licensing issues with the SDXC format.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

David B1975

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I just read through the posts on this thread. I have a Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 and installed a new Sandisk 64gb micro SD card. I originally had a 16gb card that worked fine. I decided to upgrade to the 64gb card to give me more room for music files. After going through and moving all the music from the 16gb card to the 64gb everything worked fine. Then I started adding more .mp3 files to the card. I currently have around 18gb of files on the 64 gig card now. I tried to add more music files and I am unable to. Anything else that is added to that card and then played comes up as "file is an unsupported format". I have tried to delete some music files that I don't listen to anymore. The files delete initially but then reappear after I restart the device.

If I read the different forums right, the device only recognizes up to 32 gigs of info and anything past that it sees but can not access.

Can somone please confirm this?

ImpishMortal

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I am having similar issues with a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Micro SDXC card purchased via a verified seller on Amazon, and I'd experienced a similar issue with a crappy card purchased on eBay. I've tried reformatting it in various formats, and used different programs to move files onto the sd card rather than just copy and pasting them, including Samsung Kies 3.

I've been trying to upload a series of audiobooks (24GB total) and find that:
a) either half of the files are missing upon completing the transfer and untethering the tablet or upon mounting the sd card that the files had been copied to on the computer, and
b) the few music files that do play after mass copying the series are just garbled gibberish.

I played around with Samsung Kies 3 last night and found that after copying about 200 audiobook tracks (in groups of 10), they would all play correctly, however, the tablet would not display any additional tracks after I added them successfully via Samsung Kies 3. Additionally, the sum of the tracks added this way was less than 2GB.

Any suggestions for solving this issue?

Last edited: